PVP player and exclusively PVP on Sea Of Thieves for over a year now, I want to share my feelings and my vision of things in the game right now.
Unfortunately, it's not that good.
Talking about updates, they are very good and there is something to do. Damned canonballs add something very interesting to the game.
Balancing weapons is perfectible, especially for the sword, but in overall that's OK.
In fact, the problem is not the content of the game, but players.
SOT offers a world where PVE quests can be accomplished, while having a completely free PVP. There is no safe place, and everyone can kill any other crew, even in an alliance.
The game is meant to be "PVPVE".
Players are therefore supposed to make PVE content, while paying attention to their environment and potential attack. When a boat is in sight, we can choose to attack it or not.
Unfortunately, the reality is very far away.
The problem is the players on Sea Of Thieves absolutely do not know how to fight, flee and ignore all the PVP aspect.
When I approach a boat to attack it, here are the possible reactions of the other crew, sort from more to less frequent:
- The opponents do not see us coming. My crew dances on their boat while waiting for their return, and we then smash them.
- The opponents see us arrive, and immediately decide to flee for a long time.
- The opponents let us approach them, tell us they are friendly. We usually earn insults when we tell them we want to fight.
- The opponents immediately scuttle their ship when they understand they will soon be attacked.
- The opponents will try to defend themselves, but they are far too badly positioned and / or not ready at all for defense.
- The opponents give us a real counter attack (should represent 3% of cases)
Also note that our acts of piracy are often accompanied by insults.
According to some people, we would ruin the game, and we do not have a personal life.
It's been over a month since I've received a single attack from another crew. We must always be on the initiative.
The overall level of players is seriously low.
Understand me well, I am not an incredibly good player. I have a good level in PVP, but I am very far from the level you can see on some known streamers.
But sessions without any challenge comes most of the time. We explode the entire server, everyone ragequit, too hard to have fighting spirit on the part of our opponents, and in less than an hour we find ourselves in an empty server.
I am well aware that the "Skill" in PVP is not innate to everyone. Flick-shot and a good aim, this kind of mechanics, it's not for everyone. I accept it.
But please, a minimum of combativeness ...
- Is it too hard to watch the boats coming in while you're doing your quest?
- Stop full sail at anchor in front of an island, seriously?
- Escape for an hour, that's all you can do?
- A minimum of combativeness, it is possible? Maybe try to fight back?
And this kind of player, not happy to be, how to say ... really not very good in PVP, ask PVE servers, to be sure to be able to do their quests PVE in peace.
Although Rare said no (and luckily), that will happen with the release of The Arena: the good players who know how to defend themselves, so rare on SOT, will go in this new game mode , separating the PVP community and PVE.
The good news with the patch that arrives is thanks to harpoons, fleeing professionals will have to change their strategy.
But ... do I really want to continue chasing these not head chickens ?