The Art of Running

• I see quite a few posts on the Forums talking about toxicity out on the seas, and I thought I would share a recent experience on how I curb/combat the effects of bullying and bullies:

I was playing yesterday, collecting treasure, and trying to gameplan which route I wanted to take next when someone sailed up on me. We exchanged cannon fire, and I noticed his shots had done quite a bit of damage to my starboard side. I set my sloop in a high arc so I could repair the damage and continue to defend myself. That's when he said:

"Don't be scared!"

I didn't think anything of it at the time; it was a harmless taunt I've heard plenty of times. We continued our fight a few more minutes, but we were both interrupted by a Skeleton Sloop. Long story short, we ended up separating after his sloop rammed into Crook's Hollow while I was triaging my own hull from the attacks. By the time I fixed my damage, I lost him. I didn't have an interest in fighting at the time, so I didn't pursue him and just resumed treasure hunting.

Fast forward half an hour or so, and I'm completing a Sea Fort when I see his sails on the horizon coming directly at me. I go into defense. I'm able to hit his hull with a few cannon shots, but have to pull away because he hit my mast with a chain shot (I was trying to protect my mast). Again, he starts asking me:

"Why are you running? They have Safer Seas for a reason!" He follows that up with some choice words that rhyme with 'snitch' and 'numbgas.'

I was ready to continue fighting him after I repaired my mast and circled around, but I decided to call an audible. For the next 30 to 40 minutes, I had him chasing me across the Ancient Isles. Every once in a while, I would hear him say something to the effect of:

"You're in the wrong game mode, you coward!" While also using those same choice words that rhyme with 'snitch' and 'numbgas.'

Eventually, he gave up. However, he took the time to leave me an Xbox message:

"They made servers for u called safer seas...try that if scared."

Never mind the fact that I was wearing the Ghost Curse the entire time I was fighting him, I just had to smile. (He had managed to board my boat briefly, so he knew I had it equipped) I sold all the treasure I had aboard before replying to him:

"Don't confuse fear with strategy. After you called me the B-word, I thought it would be fun to waste your time! I knew it was only a matter of time before you lost your patience, and I was right! Next time, maybe be a better person...that was NOT a good look for you. Happy Sailing!! :)"

I haven't heard back from him, and I doubt I will. I wish toxicity/bullying didn't exist, especially in Sea of Thieves, but I hope new players aren't discouraged by these kind of encounters; they happen to everyone. It's just of matter of how you handle the situation.

Views
  • You're cool. I've long enjoyed seeing your posts around the forums. It's nice that you are around and that you are still finding ways to enjoy adventure as you are.

Happy sails

• @lucky11 I love when salty players feel the need to message others when they're aren't playing the game how THEY want. Nothing says you gotta always take the fight. He wanted a fight, got a game mode for that...called hour glass. Lol. I'm like you..show me a little salt and go out of your way to message me, and I'll just waste your time. Haha. Strong work my friend!

• Everyone always has a right to run, chase, fight or sabotage as they see fit, but anyone who starts saying no no words forfeits any and all respect.

• @lucky11
    After trying to get my wife into the game, and her very first treasure haul was lost to some level 5 reaper bully who didn't even take her loot, I can say with certainty that it definitely does put new players off the game. She has now stated she will never play this game with me ever again, and honestly, I can't even blame her.

If safer seas didn't limit your rewards for no reason, maybe she would play that, but she doesn't want to be limited in what she can do, just because she wants to chill and play the pirate game.

Further, when the game was relatively new, I downloaded and tried it. Immediately got sunk with like maybe 2k gold in treasure, and I proceeded to uninstall the game and didn't touch it again until about a week ago. That's like... idk what, 7 years I didn't play this game because my first experience with it was to immediately get destroyed by a player with 50x my experience in the game, with a full crew of 4 people, while I was all alone on a sloop.

Needless to say, they need to implement some kind of punishment for people who go around just being jerks. Like, I get it, it's a Pirate Game, but COME ON! When someone is alone in a Sloop, and you roll up in a Brig with 3 crew members, they don't even stand a chance! And with how seldom the winds change in the game, it's not even possible to get away some times.

I really really really love Sea of Thieves, and I really wish I could play it more, but with all the bullies, and the Reaper Emissary incentivizing the bullying, I just can't. After a while I just get annoyed by it, and don't want to play anymore. It completely ruins my experience, completely ruins my fun, and makes the game worse.

There NEEDS to be some kind of punishment for being a bully. For example, if you sink a ship and don't take the loot, they should force your emissary flag down or something, I don't know. But its really really frustrating when someone sinks you just because they want to get on your nerves.

Further, it would be great if there was a way to just outright disable PVP in High Seas. Even a flag you can raise that'll punish people for sinking you. Like, something needs to be done. Every single person I've tried to introduce to this game just refuses to play it, because as soon as I get them in and start teaching them how to play successfully, some nerd rolls up, sinks us, insults my friends and me, then doesn't even take the loot.

It's absolutely insane that Rare allows this kind of outright toxicity.

If it wasn't such a massive problem, perhaps I would actually buy the game, and give Rare some money in the Pirate Emporium. But as it stands, as soon as it's off gamepass, I have literally NO incentive to purchase it, thus defeating the point of them putting it on Gamepass in the first place.

I mean, Rare, what happened to you? You used to actually care about the experience people had in your games. I've been playing Rare titles since the 90s, and this is hands down the worst online experience I have had in a Rare title in my entire life, and they've done nothing to fix it for almost a decade. In fact, they've added things to the game that INCENTIVIZE the bullying and the toxicity.

Like, what on earth is that about Rare? Add a flag like the alliance flag that punishes troll players for sinking peaceful ships, not this Safer Seas restricted loot nonsense.

Maybe I want to PVP sometimes, but other times I don't, all in the same session and I don't want to go through 800 loading screens to do it.

Ok, rant over, my point is, this behavior out of people destroys this games player numbers. The fact Rare has yet to do anything about it, is exactly why SoT had to release on Playstation, and exactly why they're still hemorrhaging players.

• @vetheongames There is a misconception that getting sunk or losing loot in SOT is consequence of trolling or bullying. Just because you lost a fight doesn't mean you are being bullied.

• maybe this thread is almost dead, but i want to share with you a story:

many months ago, like for the season 8 or 9, i don't remember when exatly me and my pals where doing a FotD, when to do it you still have to get all the lights, we were ready in case someone came up for the fort, and an ally of sloop+brigantine came, OBV the brigantine was reaper, brig and reaper is the toxiest combo ever....we tried to fight back but they annihlated us...not sink..they send all of us to the ferry.

we tried to respawn but those MFs keep spawnkilling us, and they even repair our ship for keep the game on, we stayed something like 20 minutes like that, but 3v5 isn't easy, specially if everyone cover a spawn-point of our ship. they keep doing that, ignoring our loot and the fort, they keep trashtalking and they wrote some unhappy words.

we decided to spawn all togheter and jump off the ship fastest as possible, we destroy the infinite circle and run away

another story similar to this was also months ago, we were doing stuff, we have an emi-flag and a reaper sloop came for us, they sunk us, they were pretty good NGL, so we, at the outpost rise a flag for keep playing, they came for us once again and they sunk us... after their salty messages , where they make fool of us, we decided to do a bait, we rised another flag, but without setting sail to the sea, we were at the outpost, without any kind of loot...and they came once again to sink us, for a level one flag of merchant...

obv they were very proud of themself and start making RODL spam in-game chat, saying us to leave the game.

now, what is the purpose to doing all of that? are you enjoying to ruin the game to others?
    for me the devs should be more iron-fist with people that play this way

• @vetheongames said in The Art of Running:

Further, it would be great if there was a way to just outright disable PVP in High Seas. Even a flag you can raise that'll punish people for sinking you. Like, something needs to be done. Every single person I've tried to introduce to this game just refuses to play it, because as soon as I get them in and start teaching them how to play successfully, some nerd rolls up, sinks us, insults my friends and me, then doesn't even take the loot.

If players are swearing at/insulting you, report them using this link: https://support.seaofthieves.com/articles/360016887200?_gl=11udg326_gaMTE5MzA0NDEyLjE2ODM5ODQ4ODU._ga_FQTTPL34JE*MTcwODM1NTk4NC41ODIuMS4xNzA4MzU3NDA0LjAuMC4w. A flag that punishes people for sinking you would add more problems than it would solve, as 1) Crews could use it after stealing someone else's loot to escape retaliation 2) There are so many variables that go into starting a fight, that it is almost impossible to determine the aggressor. Not taking the loot at first doesn't mean they'll leave it. I will sail away some distance when I sink a ship that had a good amount of loot, only to come back later. This is to ensure that the pirates on the defeated ship will not stick around, waiting for the victor to claim the loot. I don't speak for your opponents, so I don't know for sure if they came back for the loot, but it is a possibility.

Like, what on earth is that about Rare? Add a flag like the alliance flag that punishes troll players for sinking peaceful ships, not this Safer Seas restricted loot nonsense.

How would the game detect troll players, how would the game detect peaceful players? What if a peaceful player decides they want to start being a troll player, or vice versa?

Views
1 out of 8