I've brought this up before at this very forum and I feel I need to bring it up again.
I'd say 90% of my time with the game is spent playing with my wife. The other 10% I play either solo or with strangers. When I play solo or with strangers, I don't care when people occasionally try to engage in combat with me. I have no shame in admitting I suck at the combat because that's not a part of the game I invest time in, but bring it on. You'll probably get away with my treasure, but I don't mind. It's part of the game, like many of you seem really invested in shoving in people's faces.
However, when I play with my wife, we spend all of our time chatting with each other while we aimlessly navigate the seas, until we stop at an island to explore. Sometimes, we do a couple voyages to break things up a little bit. If we see a ship pass us by we let them be. We don't want anything to do with their loot. Our play style is 100% focused on exploring the game, not combat. The problem with exploring the game in an environment where people feel enticed to attack you at every encounter is that you're bound to come across the beloved "griefers". You know who I'm talking about. Those people who don't seem content with engaging in the occasional combat. They follow you everywhere you go around the map and sink your ship over and over again, regardless of there being no treasure on your ship. And when they manage to sink your ship and you happened to not sink along with it, there comes the snipping part. Then you respawn at a different outpost and you start all over again, only to find them once more a couple minutes later, resuming the endless chasing loop.
Whenever someone brings up PvE in this forum, I see 2349 people yelling things like "It will RUIN the game!!!", "It's a PIRATE GAME, we're supposed to STEAL!!!", "Go play something else NOOB!!!!".
First, let me preface my suggestion by saying no. No. Nope. It won't ruin the game, you know why? Regardless of whether Rare eventually gets to add PvE into the game, your precious PvP will still remain in the game for you to play at any time you want. And if you say it will ruin the game because you fear people will just flock over to the PvE servers, abandoning PvP as a result, then perhaps PvP isn't as fun for everybody else as it is for you. I don't think people will flock over to PvE though, so hold your pants. I just assume we're a minority.
People often against PvE make a good point about how it could potentially make progression unfair and eliminate the threat of losing your loot so here are my suggestions on how I think a PvE server could work:
- Rip progression from PvE for all I care, but give us the option to explore the world without worrying about actual players.
- If removing progression/commendations from PvE is off the cards for Rare, add a separate progression/commendation tracker to PvE that doesn't carry over to PvP.
- Sea of Thieves already have GREAT systems in place with the Kraken, the Megalodon and the Cursed Ships, with possibly more to come. Rare could make these threats more frequent and in a larger number around the world in the PvE server.
- If they absolutely have to have other players outside your party in a PvE server, make it so that no PvP is allowed, instead working as a co-op environment where everybody helps each other out in defeating these AI threats and gathering treasures, again with stats and progress being tracked separately from PvP servers.
In short, think of PvP as a ranked server and PvE as an unranked one... or the Teletubbies server if you will.
Now, please proceed to destroy me in the comments as a lot of people always do to anyone suggesting something against their beliefs. Here are a couple topics that could be used against me:
- I'm a noob and have no shame about it
- I suck at shooting, can't hit you even if you're 3 feet away from me
- I'm easy to get treasure stolen from
- I'm a millennial that despite common belief, don't like Starbucks and don't feel entitled to things
- And no, I'm not 12 years old. Stop asking.