Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?

• Hello guys,

So, to the issue. As my friend and I are only 2 to play this game, we're playing the sloop only. Now, the thing is, that in any situation we get caught in a fight with a brig, it ends up being faster even against the wind. It's kinda annoying and destroying the total game experience for us, that this is a thing. The sloop is in all situations the weakest link if you look away from it being more "agile" in fights, but that's it. When you have a Chest of Legends on board and you simply can't outrun against the wind, it's just no fun and playing the brig with only us 2 is just not an option. I wonder if anyone else experiences this, as it's really frustrating and just triggeres to ragequit when you're left with being catched with the harpoon and totally get destroyed. Idk if I'm stirring up cold soup here, but I think this should get fixed ASAP. There was a time where I believe the sloop was faster against the wind, but now it feels like there's just no benefits with it and leaves the feeling of being punished for only being 2 people. I'm curious about some input on this from others maybe experiencing this too and the devs. should take this into account imo. It's already bad enough that the hitreg is that bad that even 3 hits with a sniper don't kill the guys off from the tip of the ship. I think all other ships already have enough benefits in firepower and speed with the wind to take down a sloop, so I hope this will be heard.

โพสต์
    การดู
  • The sloop's speed against the wind is always the same yet that can be overcome if the brig zigzags in order to use wind. In the other hand if you use sloop's maneuverability against the brigs speed you will succeed. Make use of islands and straits, shallows and cliffs to escape your pursuers. You have one sail, two harpoons and a wheel that turns like a dream, be sure to master them and your enemy will watch as you dissappear on the horizon.

• @niccylul
    Do you have the sails set "to stupid"? The default / starting position, as you would have them if you had the winds from behind ?

• @lem0n-curry Yes mate, we were facing straight both, then behind us against full-on wind. Still got reckt…

• @niccylul lets be specific. got wrecked by boarders or naval attack? Any errors in sail angle are severely punished as the sloop advantage into the wind is very slight. It would help if this was increased slightly. It takes about 5 minutes to be able to get a noticeable improvement in the distance. Where into the wind the brig can close nearly an entire map square in a minute.

• @metal-ravage we were both going straight but against the wind, still they caught up ever so slightly and got us at the end when we were trying to outmaneuver… :(

• I have to agree with this. The Sloop needs a buff in speed into wind or brig nerfed. It is out gunned, out crewed and not that much more agile than a Brig. You hardly make any ground on the sloop against the Brig into wind but in any other wind scenario the other ships pull like a train away from the Sloop. In the golden age of piracy, the sloop was used because of its speed and agility over larger ships. This is not present currently. Sloop vs Gally is fine, Sloop vs Brig is not balanced.

It may upset the larger ships that Sloops can escape or catch them easier into wind but this will become fair with the way the larger ships can escape easily with the wind.

• I noticed this same issue a few weeks ago. I was taking a sloop into a headwind and a brig started chasing. Both of us running dummy sails. The brig slowly started to catch up. I actually commented out loud at the time wondering whether or not something changed.

I was left with two thoughts... first, perhaps a brig with dummy sails gets the same advantage as a sloop with dummy sails. I don't often sail into a headwind to avoid a brig this way, and when I have done it the brig usually uses side sails. So perhaps a dummy sail brig into the wind has always been a bit faster than a side sail brig. I don't remember this being the case in the past, but the brig was definitely catching up.

The second thing I was thinking is that in my circumstance I was sailing south-east. South-east is the direction where the waves affect you least since it's also the direction the waves "flow." So perhaps going south-east the brig was able to move a bit faster than usual since they weren't impeded by the waves like they would be sailing in another direction. Maybe if we were sailing north-west the brig wouldn't have gained on us. I'm not sure, just thinking out loud.

All I can say for sure, though, is that I noticed the same thing in a play session a few weeks ago that caused me to take note and question why they were gaining.

• I think it deserves a very slight increase, skilled brigs will always catch you, no matter how skilled you are with the sloop. And the wind is not always on your side

• @niccylul

2 people can effectively pilot a Brig.

• Another part of the balance here is that its very difficult to sink a sloop with cannonballs, especially if its crew know even the basics. Meanwhile the brig will easily sink to cannonballs, as basically any hit to its hull will create a hole that let in water.
    So in any sloop vs brig situation, its best for the sloop to attack with cannons, as this will immediately tie one of the brig crew to bucketing and repairing. Now the brig has one player at the cannons, the other at the wheel, and noone at the two sails. So now the sloop can easily take on the brig, by outsailing it.

• @ghostfire1981 said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

Another part of the balance here is that its very difficult to sink a sloop with cannonballs, especially if its crew know even the basics. Meanwhile the brig will easily sink to cannonballs, as basically any hit to its hull will create a hole that let in water.
    So in any sloop vs brig situation, its best for the sloop to attack with cannons, as this will immediately tie one of the brig crew to bucketing and repairing. Now the brig has one player at the cannons, the other at the wheel, and noone at the two sails. So now the sloop can easily take on the brig, by outsailing it.

Doesn’t any hit to the sloops hull also always cause a hole? Making it v difficult for solo sloopers

• @ziggie-dory
    Yes and no. The sloop actually has 2 decks. The lower main one and the higher one with the map table. If the sloop gets some holes in the back part, those holes will not always leak, and if they do they do it slowly. Only when the lower hold is full, the map table deck will start to leak properly.
    You can easily sail around in a sloop with 3-4 holes without any problems. Ask any solo sloop veteran. Just throw out a bucket now and then until you have time to fix it.
    The sloop is very difficult so sink with a proper crew. The brig will sink as a rock if you dont patch it quickly. Also the brig is rather big and basically any hit to the hull will result in a hole, so it is very vulnerable to cannon fire.

• Don't just sail into the wind, constantly attempt to board/anchor/kill in that order unless an easy blunder kill once onboard is available. Will give you much needed breathing space to drive-by sell if you have no interest in fighting.

• I agree, brig is like a jet boat and its stupid.

• [MOD EDIT]

• @niccylul

Hello Pirate , are you aware that you can outturn a Brigantine and Galleon ? The Sloop is the fastest turning vessel in the Fleet. Yes , it lacks speed and firepower but is also hard to hit... Another trick you can do is have a few boom boom barrels aboard ... Let the Brigantina come closer , take a barrel jump off in the front of the Sloop so they don't see you jump , and detonate it under their bow ... Yes , a well working crew won't sink , agreed , but the timeloss in repairing , speedloss because they become slower because of the water seeping in and the chaos and shock of being kegged will buy some time...

Try to find fog or thunderstormweather so you can try to get rid of them... Lastly , if you play with 2 , then have one or both always keep an eye on the Horizon...From the moment you see a ship , load your rowboat with the treasure sail to an island or obstacle so they don't see you , drop the rowboat with 1 pirate while the other Pirate steers in opposite direction luring the brigantina away from your hoard...

You are not harmless with a Sloop but what you do need to do , is sometimes lose , not to ragequit but to learn of your mistakes , and to learn where your "enemy" Pirates weaknesses lie , because there are simply no unbeatable Pirates on this Sea , not even Galleonneers ... Well, apart from the cheaters and hackers ,then , but they aren't that many...

• Bye bye aimbot boy waves

• @james-t-crook said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

I think this issue does not concern you anymore beeing perma banned. LOL Deserved it

And you joined the forum to just say that ?

• Sloop too slow?

Have you tried lowering the sails?

• It's been proven that the sloop is faster against the wind, the brig is the fastest with the wind to the side, and the galleon is faster with the wind, and barely getting the wind. As a sloop, avoid flowing in the same direction as the wind, use islands and obstacles as emergency escape routes and, plan your turns.

• I've been sunk by more sloops than all the other ships combined.

Hell probably 10 to 1

Sloop don't need nuth'n

• @lem0n-curry said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

@james-t-crook said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

[MOD EDIT]

How is the original writer of this topic even banned now? Either way this other person has no need to come on the forum just to laugh at them.

• @illbushido305 said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

@lem0n-curry said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

@james-t-crook said in Sloop too slow in any situation, even against the wind?:

[MOD EDIT]

How is the original writer of this topic even banned now?

A few hours ago, I saw his name pop-up in a PhuzzyBond video about a toxic & cheating player - may have something to do with it.

Either way this other person has no need to come on the forum just to laugh at them.

Agreed.

• I outran a brig with a sloop just yesterday. Fairly common thing to do.

Both going against the wind. I wasn't making the distance between us necessarily greater at any point, but they also weren't able to catch up. Eventually the wind changed near an arched rock formation, I went through, did a sharp turn while out of sight and that was that. Things like these will increase the distance enough that by the time they figure out where you went, they'll be more likely to feel discouraged to continue following.

• @leftypirate99 nah sloop is fine, no need to buff it

• @ghostfire1981 sloop also has an armor spot where the bed is. skilled brig crew can bucket for eternity tho.

• Thanks to everyone who respectfully and thoughtfully engaged with this topic. Let's steer clear of speculating on an individual's ban as any questions about blocks and bans are intended to be between the banned player and our Support team.

Cheers,
    Charity

• Sloops can and have been the most dangerous ship on the seas iv seen them bring down full galleon and brig crews it might be slow but that means nothing when you can out sail another ship….you also should always have a rowboat fill it with your loot and row to an outpost instead of sailing there …can’t out fight a crew out smart them

• @otherfanboy That is exactly what a good crew can do, adapt to the situation. Generally speaking the sloop is one of the most versatile ships in the game and as many examples here show, it can deal with any situation as long as the crew is experienced. Well you don't get that knowledge by changing the rules of the game, but by trying different approaches to every situation.

• The Toxic Aimbot hacker has been banned, huzzah

• I have a ton of experience on every ship and I think their is an issue with the Brig speed. The Galleon and Sloop do not need adjustments, but the Brig seems a little too fast when going against the wind/zig zagging to catch up to Sloops.

An experienced Sloop crew vs an experienced Brig crew will usually result in the Brig crew eventually gaining ground on the Sloop crew and over powering them with either cannons or sending boarders to the Sloop. A persistent Brig will catch up to a Sloop if they know how to work with the wind properly. It may take them 10 minutes, or 2 hours, but if they want to sink your ship they most likely will eventually.

However, as some have mentioned before, you can make strategies to get away with the loot on row boats while a crew member stays on ship keeping it above water as long as possible. This applies to all ship types, there are always strategies to out smart opponents rather than defeat them in combat.

In my personal opinion, no ship should catch a Sloop going against the wind with dumby sails set yet a zig zagging brig can. Maybe the side wind speed of the Brig is the real issue?

• you got caught eating dirt in 4K, this game has no room for people like you, it would be better for all of us if you would take your behavior somewhere else as we can promise you NO ONE wants you here.

• To stay on topic: sloop is fastest against the wind, galleon being the slowest and brig being somewhere in between
โพสต์
การดู
27 จาก 42