Release Notes Launch
- Favourite Pirate – When selecting a pirate, we heard your feedback that the choice was difficult! So, we've added an additional option to favourite a pirate during the selection process, so you can keep the ones you like and refresh the others!
- Progression Unlocked –For the very first time, players can now progress to level 50 within each trading company, unlocking lots of new cosmetics along the way.
- Respawn Logic – Based on feedback from our Betas and Scale Tests, we have changed the respawn flow when your ship has sunk. Instead of respawning your mermaid at the site of your shipwreck, , if your ship is sunk and you die, you will now automatically spawn at your new ship from the Ferry of the Damned.
- Removed Auto-Lock on Melee Attacks – We received feedback from our Betas and Scale Tests that this was a clunky experience, so it has now been removed! No more accidentally killing an allied pirate on the Skeleton Forts!
- Bounty quest skeletons sometimes do not spawn or cannot be found.
- Joining a dead player whose ship is parked at an active skeleton fort will prevent the joining player’s radial menus being opened.
- If you are next to a Pirate when they equip a Title it won't display until you move away from them and come back.
- Sometimes players will load onto the Ghost Ship without their clothes.
- Order of Souls – a Trading Company formed by conjurers and seers who wish to control ancient magic. In the Sea of Thieves this ancient magic is bound to the bones of accused former pirates, now transformed into forsaken skeletons, who had their own adventures finding and burying hoards of treasure. The Order Of Souls seeks the lost knowledge bound to these skeletons, and they'll reward anyone who brings the skulls back to them!
- Achievements – Eaten your first banana (skin included)? Remember that moment forever, and many others! As you venture across the Sea of Thieves and forge your legend, achievements will now be unlocked! We have a huge list of Achievements for you to discover and unlock, check them out in this news article.
- Pirate Legend – The time has come to create your legend! Build your reputation with the Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls and Merchant Alliance trading companies to prove yourself worthy of the fabled title. The Pirate Legend Hideout awaits those who earn the right of entry, boasting the most challenging and rewarding legendary voyages.
- Kraken – Did you spot the murky water and enormous ship wrapping sea beast in our launch trailer? Sailing the seas has never been more dangerous! Who will be victorious when you cross paths with the creature lurking below?
- Player Titles – What title represents you? Now you can choose at the vanity chest! As you progress through the trading companies ranks and earn commendations, unlock titles to display to the seas what you have achieved.
- Ship Customisation – The Shipwright has received her shipment of stock! Now you can purchase fancy new livery, sail or figurehead for your ship and equip it from the Ship Customisation Chest.
- Snakes – Joining chickens and pigs on the islands, we now have snakes! These dangerous creatures will form part of the Merchant Alliance voyages and can be used to booby trap your precious cargo. Beware of their poisonous spit, you may want to play them a calming melody before you transport them!
- Skeleton Forms – New Skeleton Forms with varying strengths, weaknesses and abilities have emerged. Adventuring pirates now need to adapt their tactics to overcome plant, metal or shadow skeletons. Use all the tools at your disposal, your bucket and torch can be just as deadly as any pistol!
- Lore Items – Keep an eye out for new items within the Sea of Thieves, which may have a story to tell. Lost treasure… who, why and when?!
- When cashing in rewards at the Trading Companies, the reputation notification no longer appears twice.
- When spawning at Ancient Spire Outpost the ship will now spawn in the correct place.
- Small ships no longer take damage on spawn.
- Gold Hoarder's NPC dialogue is now localised.
- Animals and Skeleton movement no longer appear jittery.
- Text size has increased for 4K monitors.
- Skeleton Forts vaults will now always contain treasure when you open them.
Windows 10 PC Only
- 'Left Click' to select a pirate in the Pirate Selector is now enabled.
- Text chat now works correctly with Russian language input.
- Death Cost – This new feature has the Captain of the Ferry of the Damned deduct a small gold fee when you die. Rates are dependant on the cause of death, so the more avoidable the death, the less patience the Captain will have when we enable this feature!
Please note, we never intended to charge players for PvP related deaths, as we understand the negative impact this would have on player experience.
We understand that this addition to the release notes was a little confusing, and in the future we will ensure that any future updates we discuss give you a better understanding of how and why we're implementing it. Sea of Thieves is constantly evolving, and any feature we will test, monitor data and listen to your feedback to ensure we're making the right decisions.