Game crashes "randomly" when in-game.

• Played the early alphas, betas, scale tests ect., no error. Got the game, installed, and the game is unplayable for me, it's just closes randomly. So no crash or anything, just closes like i alt-f4'd. Anybody got a problem like that?

UPDATE:

It still does not working after the 20GB Update.

GTX850M - i74710HQ - Win10 Pro - PC

Drivers are up to date, reinstalled the game twice.

Views
  • @muharai I am having somewhat the same problem. Only my entire computer shuts down and restarts while in-game. I'll be fine for about an hour and then without warning everything goes black and my computer restarts. Never had this problem with any other game. Too scared to play now because I don't want to lose missions or chests or be in the middle of a fight and have the game crash my computer.

• @jibbaxjabba Interesting. I had this "thing" with Forza Horizon 3 too, but is just suddenly stopped months ago. The windows event log says nothing about SoT and Forza either.

• @muharai I saw this happen to me during the Final Beta. It occurred on 3 of my four laptops. Rare told me to check the graphics drivers. I did, and those same 3 of the four did not have the latest. I was surprised because one of those Laptops was brand new, but apparently a new graphics driver came out a week prior. I updated and have not had the problem since.

• @rcsnipes100 I'm just updated the driver today, like 4-5 hours ago, the light effects changed but nothing else. Still quits.

• Updated drivers for my 1080 EVGA. Still having those random crashes.

• @rcsnipes100 Sorry, I have no idea then. It did work for me. But I was seeing that it was not working for everyone.

• Same problem with my gtx 760. Grey screen and the game closes with no error message after 20 minutes

• Happening to me and my friends too... Dev team are u able to give us info/logs or whatever related to those random crashes? heh.

• Had this happen twice to me as well. Event viewer showing application hangs:

The program SoTGame.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 4020
    Start Time: 01d3c178dde32a61
    Termination Time: 4294967295
    Application Path: F:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SeaofThieves2.74.9691.2_x648wekyb3d8bbwe\Athena\Binaries\UWP64\SoTGame.exe Report Id: 4de9192f-afcd-410c-8794-56c3bb839625
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.SeaofThieves_2.74.9691.2_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: AthenaClientShipping

Security and Maintenance shows:
    Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: F:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SeaofThieves_2.74.9691.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Athena\Binaries\UWP64\SoTGame.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoAppHang
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.SeaofThieves_2.74.9691.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name: praid:AthenaClientShipping
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 00000000
    Hang Signature: d122
    Hang Type: 4194304
    OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: d122e3bf20b8abfdf4a90837c42bd439
    Additional Hang Signature 2: c85a
    Additional Hang Signature 3: c85a9e92a32748a2dd0d9ae67a9c78c4
    Additional Hang Signature 4: d122
    Additional Hang Signature 5: d122e3bf20b8abfdf4a90837c42bd439
    Additional Hang Signature 6: c85a
    Additional Hang Signature 7: c85a9e92a32748a2dd0d9ae67a9c78c4

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 9883970c8d49d89513d332ddfa34ed36 (1428541435773513014)

• Same problem over here. Devs, please adress this issue. Can't play like this. I start a mission, game crashes and I lose that mission's progress.

• Same issue, seems to be at random. It's happening on two systems I own. I am on an Nvidia system, with intel cpu, and latest Game Ready drivers for SOT. My partner is on an AMD system (both cpu and gpu) with up to date drivers. Both systems have the same random crash issue. Frustrating.

• My friend and I have the same problem. We both use nVidia's gpu and updated all the drivers. Nothing helps.

• Just discovered something interesting.... while searching forums for a clue on what's causing the crash, I realized I never came across this crash issue involving an XBox one. Since I own an XBox one, I decided I'd hop on that to connect with the friend on the AMD system to continue trying duo party on a sloop. We've been playing for roughly just over an hour with ZERO crashes on either the AMD system or my xbox. I'm not sure if this can help narrow down the problem area, but it seems like it's an issue with pc to pc connections when partying up. If anybody has the ability to try this on their own, this is a way to bypass the CTD on pc... basically by not playing on pc lol. Or if anybody's not tried going solo on pc, it may not crash since your not connecting with anyone else in a party. But that sounds boring... If anyone else can add to this in any way, maybe this can be seen by a delevoper, might help somehow, idk.

• @xd-dwrek-dx I tried to play alone on the computer, without friends, the game still crashes in a few minutes

• @fleek02 it's weird that it's possible to play pc with xbox with no problems. Do you have a friend on xbox you could test this with? Works for me, no crashes. Played up until they shut the server down for maintenance.

• @fleek02 If you're playing with a group of ppl on pc, you can try to add someone to your group that you know is on an xbox, be interesting to see if it still crashes... Fingers crossed that the server maintenance will fix the issue altogether (if it's server side and not client side)

• @xd-dwrek-dx написал в Game crashes "randomly" when in-game.:

@fleek02 you can try to add someone to your group that you know is on an xbox, be interesting to see if it still crashes...

This is a good idea! I'll try later.

• @asap-coby Good thing that the event viewer says something about SoT. Mine doesn't :'D

• @xd-dwrek-dx I tried solo, it works for 30 minutes maybe then just stops. I dunno if i can play on xbox, haven't tried. My priority is playing on PC.

• Just wanted to add that I've had this problem happen playing solo, with one crew member on PC, one crew member of Xbox, and a crew with both PC and Xbox. Still not sure what is causing the game to close as it happens at random times with no error from SoT. Hoping this gets fixed soon.

I should probably add that I'm also on latest NVidia drivers and an Intel CPU.

• @asap-coby I wrote to the support team, they trying to work it out.

• This is happening to me too. Seriously infuriating from a troubleshooting point of view as there is no error or anything to work with...

On a GTX1080ti and core i7 for the record. Latest drivers etc.

• @muharai Sounds good, hopefully we get a fix for it.

I just realized that I was never getting anything showing up in the Event Viewer for any crashes after the one I posted. So maybe the log I posted is a separate case, but it did crash in the same manner.

• i have the same problem except its every couple of minutes i hope that they fix it

• Having a similar problem, except instead of crashing, the movement controls freeze. My ship keeps sailing, but I can't move (but can look around). This is probably one of the worst first experiences of a game I've ever had.

• After the server maintenance was done, I haven't had a crash yet playing solo. Can't speak for party as I haven't tried yet. Anybody else having better luck after the maintenance?

• @jibbaxjabba
    sounds like a PSU problem

• Confirmed still crashes when connected to another pc in party mode. Ran fine solo. Ran fine when connected to a party member on xbox. First maintenance window didn't fix the crash issue.

• Same here. Game just randomly quits like I hit Alt-F4
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    XPS 15 9560
    i7- 7700HQ @ 2.8Hz 8 CPUs
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4GB latest drivers 391.24

• I have this issue too.
    "The program SoTGame.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed."

Windows 10 Pro
    Radeon RX 570 with latest graphics driver
    i7-4770K
    8 Gb RAM

• @jibbaxjabba said in Game crashes "randomly" when in-game.:

@muharai I am having somewhat the same problem. Only my entire computer shuts down and restarts while in-game. I'll be fine for about an hour and then without warning everything goes black and my computer restarts. Never had this problem with any other game. Too scared to play now because I don't want to lose missions or chests or be in the middle of a fight and have the game crash my computer.

I am having the exact same issue, only after minutes instead of an hour. It is really, really, really, really, REALLY frustrating as I enjoy the game a lot for the little I get to do in it. Really wish this would get fixed!

• I have a similar problem here.
    My game is just fine for a while about 15 mins or so, but it crashes with no error message to the desktop.
    As other ppl mentioned here or other threads, I see grey screen before to my desktop.
    This happens repeatedly every 15 ~ 20 min.
    Please help!

Display Devices

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    Driver Version: 23.21.13.9124

• Same here, DEVS DO SOMETHING
    REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    :(

• Same here. Unplayable.
    The game client dies without saying anything.
    Grey screen and then desktop.

The windows update(KB4088776) did not help.

I picked some info below from dxdiag on my PC.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Driver Version: 23.21.13.9124

Views
1 out of 170