Reapers are ruining the game

• Not only does Rare keep making updates that benefit the Reapers but Reapers just keep ruining the fun. Just a bit ago I struggled to finish a skeleton fleet and here comes a galleon to labor off my hard work. Two board me, instant kill me and I just quit cause im so sick of people constantly benefiting off my work and constantly chasing me.

I know it's a pirate game but reapers are different. They're way too persistent, stubborn, take it way too seriously and trash talk the entire time. They keep making me want to stop playing the game and Rare keeps letting them get away with it and almost like reward them but making updates that benefit them and no one else. Even season 8 kisses their captain's quarters by giving them pvp to appease them and making it so only people who play pvp can get it thus giving Reapers more victims. Nothing new has been added to Athena. Reapers get their own ship sets, one being free from a tall tale and one buying from the SOTF at the hideout. They get these nice fancy glowing hulls and ship sets while Athena gets nothing like that.

Reapers are ruining the fun and game with their toxic behavior and im sick and tired of it. They get this OP ability if they're grade 5 to see other emessaries on the map so they can target them specifically. That's not fair. Other people wanna profit too! Why give them the ability to see whose making the most gold? I want to keep my loot instead of being chased for three hours by a stubborn Reaper crew.

It's not fair and unfun. I don't care if it's a pirate game, Reapers take it too far

Views
  • You'll do awesome by adjusting your risk/reward approach to pve that is more in your comfort zone.

Lots of ways to move treasure around and make lots of gold, it just takes some strategy changes to bring down the risk while maintaining solid profit

You'll figure it out and will do awesome even with reapers around looking for some loot.

Merchant shipwreck voyages for example are excellent mid risk high gold reward voyages, very efficient pve, throw in a skelly ship or two and maybe a meg and that's good money

• @wolfmanbush Yeah but it won't stop the reapers. Whenever I see a reaper on the map it just gets stressful and extremely irritating cause once I put up my flag they're gonna hunt me across the map just to sink me even if I have no loot to offer. They do it to be toxic and trash talk you when you sink or scuttle cause you want to get away from them.

All the fun is gone whenever one is in the server and i'm sick of it. I'm tired of sharing the server with people like them. They ruin everything with their poor behavior and toxicity. I'm tired of being chased by them constantly. I'm tired of them trash talking me. I'm tired of them getting all the good stuff in updates. I'm tired of Rare doing EVERYTHING to benefit them and them only. When was there ever an update that didn't benefit reapers in any way'? Season 9 already has changes that's gonna benefit them, I rather deny them my loot but now I can't do that cause it'll just float up next them anyway. That is one of the most unforgivable things Rare is gonna do. Not as much as making season 8 a thing but it comes close. It's unfair. I would rather lose my hoard than let some Reaper jerk get it.

• @scott100000000 said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@wolfmanbush Yeah but it won't stop the reapers. Whenever I see a reaper on the map it just gets stressful and extremely irritating cause once I put up my flag they're gonna hunt me across the map just to sink me even if I have no loot to offer. They do it to be toxic and trash talk you when you sink or scuttle cause you want to get away from them.

All the fun is gone whenever one is in the server and i'm sick of it. I'm tired of sharing the server with people like them. They ruin everything with their poor behavior and toxicity. I'm tired of being chased by them constantly. I'm tired of them trash talking me. I'm tired of them getting all the good stuff in updates. I'm tired of Rare doing EVERYTHING to benefit them and them only. When was there ever an update that didn't benefit reapers in any way'? Season 9 already has changes that's gonna benefit them, I rather deny them my loot but now I can't do that cause it'll just float up next them anyway. That is one of the most unforgivable things Rare is gonna do. Not as much as making season 8 a thing but it comes close. It's unfair. I would rather lose my hoard than let some Reaper jerk get it.

Reapers went through a long rough patch too. Hopping pvp had them hunted for a very long time, excessively, everyone is just trying to eat out there, including reapers

Stick with it, you really are gonna do great, most people go through struggles in this game as they figure out what is the best approach for them, you'll get there.

Positive outlook, productive approach, focus on goals and appreciation. The consistency within that will help you thrive.

Doesn't matter if you make 1k or 100k in a session, Up is up, forward is forward, keep at it

You'll never regret letting the negative focus go, it makes room for personal prosperity, if you stick with it you will look back in the future and will feel rewarded with what you committed to and what you were able to harvest out of it.

• @wolfmanbush said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@scott100000000 said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@wolfmanbush

You'll never regret letting the negative focus go, it makes room for personal prosperity, if you stick with it you will look back in the future and will feel rewarded with what you committed to and what you were able to harvest out of it.

When can I hire you as my therapist?

• @personalc0ffee said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@wolfmanbush said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@wolfmanbush

When can I hire you as my therapist?

I'm just here to be supportive for free

take whatever helps, it's all yours

• @wolfmanbush said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@wolfmanbush Yeah but it won't stop the reapers. Whenever I see a reaper on the map it just gets stressful and extremely irritating cause once I put up my flag they're gonna hunt me across the map just to sink me even if I have no loot to offer. They do it to be toxic and trash talk you when you sink or scuttle cause you want to get away from them.

Reapers went through a long rough patch too. Hopping pvp had them hunted for a very long time, excessively, everyone is just trying to eat out there, including reapers

Stick with it, you really are gonna do great, most people go through struggles in this game as they figure out what is the best approach for them, you'll get there.

Positive outlook, productive approach, focus on goals and appreciation. The consistency within that will help you thrive.

Doesn't matter if you make 1k or 100k in a session, Up is up, forward is forward, keep at it

Who cares if the reapers have it rough? They deserved it. I only met one reaper crew that wasn't toxic out of all my hours in this game and it was recently. Every reaper is toxic, cringy and take the role too seriously. I know the servant of the flame says "throw out the pirate code" but they are taking it LITERALLY and are ignoring THE pirates code aka the rules of the game with their excuse every time being "it's a pirate game git gud" If I had a nickle for every time a reaper crew told me to kill myself and that this is their game i'd have a dollar.

They don't deserve the content Rare gives them. In the lore those players are actually the villains. They shouldn't be getting all the good stuff, quality of life and game mechanics changed for their benefit.

If it's not obvious by now I REAAAAALLY hate Reapers with a firey passion that burns more than their precious flame.It's one of the two reasons I do the stupid hourglass from season 8. I want to kill reapers. I want the ghost curse too but I also want to kill reapers.

• Please, tell me the last update that ONLY benefits reapers, because i cant think of one.

I know you mention season 8 and then proceed to say that athena gets nothing new, but if you look at season 8's content, you would quickly realize that athena gets a massive pile of cosmetics including not only 1, but 2 WHOLE ship sets, a full cosmetic set recolor, and a pile of other cosmetics for the players. Meanwhile reapers only provided the curse and few ship pieces, so that entire claim about athena getting nothing, only reapers, is false.

Its clear that s8 didnt provide ONLY for the reapers, so which update before or since has only benefited the reapers? I cant for the life of me think of a single one.

• pirates life that enabled server hopping with a level 5 flag that lets them get the benefit but run and hide with all their supplies

That very specifically benefited the reapers more than any other emissary.

Stop putting the flag up. The emissary system was always meant for people who wanted to opt into higher risk of PvP in return for higher rewards. It isn't just a loot boosting system. You say you have no loot to offer but your flag is loot. They make gold and rep for turning in your flag. Anyone who raises an emissary flag is opting into a PvP-enhanced session.

They get this OP ability if they're grade 5 to see other emessaries on the map so they can target them specifically. That's not fair.

It is completely fair if you consider that you can always see Reapers on your map no matter what level they are. You don’t even need to be an emissary to see them. They basically have an increasing bounty on their heads the moment they join the Reapers. You really need to stop joining emissaries if you do not want the added risk. It was intended for players looking for extra spicy game sessions.

• Become a Reaper, your problems will be solved.

Who cares if the reapers have it rough? They deserved it. I only met one reaper crew that wasn't toxic out of all my hours in this game and it was recently. Every reaper is toxic, cringy and take the role too seriously. I know the servant of the flame says "throw out the pirate code" but they are taking it LITERALLY and are ignoring THE pirates code aka the rules of the game with their excuse every time being "it's a pirate game git gud" If I had a nickle for every time a reaper crew told me to kill myself and that this is their game i'd have a dollar.

They don't deserve the content Rare gives them. In the lore those players are actually the villains. They shouldn't be getting all the good stuff, quality of life and game mechanics changed for their benefit.

If it's not obvious by now I REAAAAALLY hate Reapers with a firey passion that burns more than their precious flame. It's one of the two reasons I do the stupid hourglass from season 8. I want to kill reapers. I want the ghost curse too but I also want to kill reapers.

Hatred is robbing yourself of your potential

It's fuel but it keeps you in a cell rather than free on the open seas

It would be a tragedy to see you sacrifice what you can and will become in this game (with effort) just to carry weight that doesn't serve you, that keeps you piratically stagnant.

Whatever others do is what others do, what matters is what you do, how you approach this environment, how you conduct yourself, how you treat others on the seas. All within your control, your canvas in pirate life. You are the artist of your own actions. Paint something beautiful.

Not only does Rare keep making updates that benefit the Reapers but Reapers just keep ruining the fun. Just a bit ago I struggled to finish a skeleton fleet and here comes a galleon to labor off my hard work. Two board me, instant kill me and I just quit cause im so sick of people constantly benefiting off my work and constantly chasing me.

I know it's a pirate game but reapers are different. They're way too persistent, stubborn, take it way too seriously and trash talk the entire time. They keep making me want to stop playing the game and Rare keeps letting them get away with it and almost like reward them but making updates that benefit them and no one else. Even season 8 kisses their captain's quarters by giving them pvp to appease them and making it so only people who play pvp can get it thus giving Reapers more victims. Nothing new has been added to Athena. Reapers get their own ship sets, one being free from a tall tale and one buying from the SOTF at the hideout. They get these nice fancy glowing hulls and ship sets while Athena gets nothing like that.

Reapers are ruining the fun and game with their toxic behavior and im sick and tired of it. They get this OP ability if they're grade 5 to see other emessaries on the map so they can target them specifically. That's not fair. Other people wanna profit too! Why give them the ability to see whose making the most gold? I want to keep my loot instead of being chased for three hours by a stubborn Reaper crew.

It's not fair and unfun. I don't care if it's a pirate game, Reapers take it too far

Don't be such a sore loser.

• @scott100000000 yes they can see emissaries once they reach level 5, but as soon as they raise reaper they are visible on the map for you as well? Sounds like you're not checking your map and watching the horizon enough imo

• @sirblaz3d said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@scott100000000 yes they can see emissaries once they reach level 5, but as soon as they raise reaper they are visible on the map for you as well? Sounds like you're not checking your map and watching the horizon enough imo

Thats honestly something i dont understand when people say "reapers are so op since they can see all other emissaries!". If you can see them before they see you, then that gives you time to either prepare or to lower your emissary so they can no longer see you. If anything, becoming a reaper is a nerf to any pvp plans you may have had.

• @goldsmen said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@sirblaz3d said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@scott100000000 yes they can see emissaries once they reach level 5, but as soon as they raise reaper they are visible on the map for you as well? Sounds like you're not checking your map and watching the horizon enough imo

Thats honestly something i dont understand when people say "reapers are so op since they can see all other emissaries!". If you can see them before they see you, then that gives you time to either prepare or to lower your emissary so they can no longer see you. If anything, becoming a reaper is a nerf to any pvp plans you may have had.

I agree except… The only time this is bypassed is when they portal hop as G5. Then they instantly see you and you might not have time to see them until they are coming for you. This was a big problem for quite a while, but I feel like after the hourglass was introduced I see less portal hopping reapers. They aren’t gone, but I feel the ones who were just looking for a fight have turned to hourglass instead.

• @goldsmen exactly .. I've only been playing for 3 months and even I know to check the map and plan out your adventures accordingly depending on what emissaries are on the map etc

• @abjectarity I can't lie I've Portal hopped but not for that reason, I was getting chased repeatedly when playing with my wife as we portal hopped to escape 😂

• Would you complain if it were a normal set of pirates in a galleon? Not just reapers.

Well guess what. You think this is bad…wait until people start season 9

We’re going back to D1 days XD

Even season 8 kisses their captain's quarters by giving them pvp to appease them and making it so only people who play pvp can get it thus giving Reapers more victims. Nothing new has been added to Athena. Reapers get their own ship sets, one being free from a tall tale and one buying from the SOTF at the hideout. They get these nice fancy glowing hulls and ship sets while Athena gets nothing like that.

There’s a whole extra curse for Athena as well as an in-hideout shop full of cosmetics for them. I’m not quite sure how you could say there’s nothing like that. Most Athena Cosmetics do infact glow.

Reapers are ruining the fun and game with their toxic behavior and im sick and tired of it. They get this OP ability if they're grade 5 to see other emessaries on the map so they can target them specifically. That's not fair.

And other people can see them on the map the entire time regardless of their grade.

Other people wanna profit too! Why give them the ability to see whose making the most gold? I want to keep my loot instead of being chased for three hours by a stubborn Reaper crew.

Reapers make the most gold because they can turn everything in to one place under the same emissary. They are designed to steal and destroy other crews for their treasure.

Disagree. I think we could all do a bit better on avoiding them, playing at different times, checking map more frequently, learning to outmaneuver or outplay, etc.. Reapers have a lot of disadvantages such as no sovereign harpoons, their public map visibility, their single limited selling location, and their lack of any real voyages for themseleves makes stealing and heading for big scores their best bet.

Not only does Rare keep making updates that benefit the Reapers but Reapers just keep ruining the fun. Just a bit ago I struggled to finish a skeleton fleet and here comes a galleon to labor off my hard work. Two board me, instant kill me and I just quit cause im so sick of people constantly benefiting off my work and constantly chasing me.

It's a pirate game. The name of the game is to protect your loot or lose it. There are many ways to avoid being jumped by surprise by other players.

I know it's a pirate game but reapers are different. They're way too persistent, stubborn, take it way too seriously and trash talk the entire time. They keep making me want to stop playing the game and Rare keeps letting them get away with it and almost like reward them but making updates that benefit them and no one else. Even season 8 kisses their captain's quarters by giving them pvp to appease them and making it so only people who play pvp can get it thus giving Reapers more victims.

Most reapers I've encountered were mediocre at PvP at best or at worst red sea runners. The actual capable PvPers are a rare sight. The capable ones are not so plentiful as to make reapers an oppressive presence. Most Reapers are very sink-able if you practice your PvP skills. But by far the best way to avoid frustration as a solo is to sell often. Stacking loot is for when you have a competent crew with decent PvP experience.

Nothing new has been added to Athena. Reapers get their own ship sets, one being free from a tall tale and one buying from the SOTF at the hideout. They get these nice fancy glowing hulls and ship sets while Athena gets nothing like that.

Athena literally has its own ship sets, one of the best canons in the entire game free from a tall tale and an exclusive Hourglass curses. They are pretty much on par with Reaper cosmetics.

Reapers are ruining the fun and game with their toxic behavior and im sick and tired of it.

Define what you mean by toxic.

They get this OP ability if they're grade 5 to see other emessaries on the map so they can target them specifically. That's not fair.

Everyone else on the server instantly gets this "OP ability" to see reapers on the map as soon as they put on an emissary flag. And they don't even need to be an emissary! The wonders of magical pirate technology eh.

I want to keep my loot instead of being chased for three hours by a stubborn Reaper crew.

Then either sell more often or become better at defending your loot. Both options drastically reduce your chances of losing your loot.

In other words, "losing isn't fun. I don't care what kind of game this is; I want the Devs to remove everything that makes me lose because I don't want to have to try too hard to improve at the game."

• @sirblaz3d said in Reapers are ruining the game:

@goldsmen exactly .. I've only been playing for 3 months and even I know to check the map and plan out your adventures accordingly depending on what emissaries are on the map etc

There is a video for this, it is called something like SoT Choosing a Server and it is geared towards people who don't want to get sunk.

• @vakrisone Worth the read 😂 💯

• So what's the solution OP? Surely you wouldn't suggest removing PvP or adding something like PvE servers. It's easy to say you think something is wrong, but do you have a solution to the supposed problem? If not it's just kind of a whinge and no one is really going to listen.

• Hey i think i'm the only reaper that has reached level 5 and not attacked anyone so not all reapers are bad.
    Just having the reaper flag level 5 alone makes most players run away not knowing i'd probably lose against them XD

• @wolfmanbush i would disagree about the rough patch for the poor reapers. The faction is pvp orientated yes. But developers themselves broke their own formula by making the faction PVP first and PVE second, unlike athena.

Developers allowing and encouraging server hopping exploit only solidified this statement.

If those poor reapers were put in bigger servers and did Fotds or Fof etc the pvp would come to them. Obviously nobody wants to fight a 4 man reaper crew with no treasure.

• Sorry what? In the latest update Athena got 2 new ship sets and reaper got a big fat zero. I get you’re mad at people pirating in the Pirate game but as least talk about the facts instead of made up statistics.

Reaper has the Reaper’s Bones and Masked Renegade Ship sets while Athena has PL, Ghost, Magpie’s Glory, Magpie’s Wing, Guardian Ghost and Golden Legendary. That’s a 2v6 ratio.

Also news flash, just because people play reaper doesn’t mean they only play reaper. Or that they’re cringy and toxic. If anything you’re being incredibly rude but generalizing all players that use the reaper’s emissary.

• Counter argument: People that cant accept that this is a PVPVE game and PVP is a completely valid playstyle are ruining the game.

• @scott100000000 reapers are the backbone of this games design. Without the constant risk or threat of being attacked, this game would die out. It would be way to easy to accomplish all the commendations and achievements. There needs to be some risk with all the reward.

My best advice would be to keep an eye out on the horizon and sell your treasure after you complete voyages or world events!

Good luck!

• Sea of Thieves is a high skill ceiling game. It took almost two years before I felt confident I could give people a fight. Started by getting better at avoiding people. Then got better at PVP by engaging instead of running. Also found a good crew to sail with consistently.

Through the process I also stopped caring so much about loot and sinking. It's just a normal part of the game.

I remember the days of seeing a reaper on a map, feeling my blood pressure go up, and finding a new server. Now I see one and go at them. Most are incompetent open crews. Stick with it.

• @crankygmrdad said in Reapers are ruining the game:

Sea of Thieves is a high skill ceiling game. It took almost two years before I felt confident I could give people a fight. Started by getting better at avoiding people. Then got better at PVP by engaging instead of running. Also found a good crew to sail with consistently.

Through the process I also stopped caring so much about loot and sinking. It's just a normal part of the game.

I remember the days of seeing a reaper on a map, feeling my blood pressure go up, and finding a new server. Now I see one and go at them. Most are incompetent open crews. Stick with it.

This is pretty much me, though I don't typically jump right into PvP simply because there are still lots of other things I want to do.

Your second point of no longer "caring so much about loot and sinking" is key. I used to get mad about getting sunk after spending multiple hours working on stuff just to get jumped by a reaper (or even non-reaper) crew, but I got tired of feeling like an entire night of gaming was ruined from that and decided I was going to change how I thought about the game. No longer is it about "trying to accomplish goals", but rather just getting out on the seas and being a pirate. Sometimes I end up with a ton of gold at the end of a session, other times I spend an entire session dueling with another ship. Either way, being a pirate should be fun.

• @scott100000000 "I know it's a pirate game but reapers are different. They're way too persistent, stubborn, take it way too seriously and trash talk the entire time. "

Way to stereotype 1000s of people, because you lost a fight. Talk about poor sportsmanship.

• Would you of made this same post if it were a group of gold hoarders? Or a non emissary flag ship?

I’m curious.

• I really do understand the frustration, and where you're coming from, but bottom line is that they aren't doing anything wrong (gameplay wise, if they're being toxic on comms, record and report them 100%) - the reaper faction directly benefits from stealing any type of loot, from other pirates. I definitely understand that 3v1, or 4v1 is rough, but that is the unfortunate reality of solo slooping. I do recommend trying to crew up with other players - the SoT discord has tons of folk looking for others to play with, so I'm sure you can find someone.

• @valor-omega Did that, didn't work out. I had a grown man literally WHINE cause we didnt do the pirates life tall tale to get supplies claiming it'll take a few minutes when me and the rest of the crew knew it would take longer. So he whined like a kid saying we'll get camped or whatever the word is used for pirates he sneak on ships and use emotes to hide. He called us kids and left. Another guy was a pain, he can insult us but if I say anything to him about his poor performance he tells me to "stop being a [mod edit]" apparently the fool can dish it out but can't take it and I dreaded every second in the match with him.

After many attempts I just stuck with solo slooping. Luckily I met a cool bunch and they said they would crew up with me, still waiting on that.

I know it's how the reaper faction is but if they weren't so toxic about it I wouldn't despise them as much as I do. I mean not long ago they went after another reaper sloop I was after (after sinking so many times to them) despite a common enemy the reaper brig shot me on sight. Why? No idea. They weren't toxic but jeez they were hostile and take reapers seriously. I wasn't interested in fighting them yet boom, fired away. Toxic or not Reapers just take things WAAY too seriously and too far. I know you cant trust people in a pirate game but for crying out loud at least hold your fire if someone is trying to talk and be friendly towards you. It always seems to be the reapers that act like this. Normal crews usually talk and dont resort to fighting immediately and are pretty chill, not doing anything to you unless provoked. They usually attack if they realize you got loot but hey it's a pirates life. But Reapers? They take it to the next level and being sunk by them is just unbearable. I can't stand letting toxic people like them win. But I just cant improve at the game, my cannon aim sucks.

Views
1 out of 63