Voice Chat Noise Suppression

• I usually play in a loud(ish) environment, and my in game voice chat is really annoying to some people. I met some streamers a few days ago, and when I watched their streams, I realized how annoying it really was. I've also encountered others with open mics that are super loud, mostly because of their background noise.

I would love a feature for noise suppression, because then nobody would have an excuse to have annoying background noise, they just need to click a button that disables most background noise.

The streamers are twitch.tv/labgraphics and twitch.tv/guna351. Check them out, they were very nice, but they do swear a little. (Just a warning if you're sensitive about that kind of stuff.)

Views
    feedbackgeneral
  • Might do well for some players.
    Had more than a few times where someone tried sneaking up on us with an open mic giving them away. Usually because they're talking in another call about how they're sneaking up on us or planning to backstab us but sometimes just by background noise.

• @blackcat134387 I don't know what system you play on, but Microsoft just dropped an update for the Series S|X that adds a noise suppression to party chat. I don't know if it extends to game chat as well (I don't see why it shouldn't to be quite honest, otherwise they've limited the usage of such a feature) but am going to do a little more research and testing of that feature this weekend. I meant to do it last weekend, but I couldn't find the setting and then I had to deal with some equipment failure so never got back to it.

• @dlchief58 I play on PC, there is a feature in Xbox party chat, but I was mainly talking about in game VC.

• @blackcat134387 Well I did some more looking and it appears they also added it to the One and PC. Check in the GameBar for the settings mode.

Again most of what I see refers to it as Party Chat noise reduction so I don't know if it also applies to in game chat. I would think you would want it as a universal chat feature, but game companies have done odder things in the past. But it is something you might check into before looking for 3rd party options.

• @dlchief58 I don't think the Xbox party chat noise suppression carries over to the Sea of Thieves in game voice chat. I turned it on and tested it in game and my audio sounded the same.

• @blackcat134387 That is something I feared by the way they worded it, but was hopeful that it was just marketing jargon. I'm still going to check it some myself this weekend but with tempered expectations.

Hopefully the implementation into Party Chat only is a testing phase before they roll it out into game chat in individual games as an option, if it is even possible. It is something I've wanted for a while since my game room is in the same as out air conditioner, which adds noise to my chat and limits where I can sit in the room to game. At least with the colder weather coming that won't be a concern for months. I at least found a decent noise suppressor plug-in that works pretty well in OBS for my Twitch streaming.

• @dlchief58 it is just for party, and on by default. Sot game chat is always rough on xbox for me quite crackly

Views
feedbackgeneral
1 out of 8