I present: The Theoretical Grog Update!

• I've always wanted a Grog Rework, so I wrote my own ideas for fun! Let me know what you think everyone!

Views
    feedbackgeneralfan artcommunityjust for fun
  • I'm done clicking links they sketch me out tbh

• If you prefer I've also posted it in the discord and on twitter.

• They're already thinking like Rare.

Theoretically copy pasta that over here 😆

• Grog is now re-worked! Your ship no longer houses infinite drinks for the sake of drinking, You can now buy a Barrel of Grog (flavour of your choice) to take to your ship for your journeys ahead from any Tavern you spawn at. Grog comes with many benefits. Below is a list of different flavours you can buy!

Plain ol’ Grog
    The usual Grog you’ve always known and loved, with the added benefit of adding additional health much like cooked meat!

Merm-Ale
    Ever wondered what adding a Breath of the Sea to some Grog might do? some tasty Merm-Ale will go down smooth and allow you to hold your breath underwater for even longer than normal!

Reaper’s Brew
    Plan on causing some destruction? Perhaps some Reaper’s Brew will do for you! This dangerous Grog allows you to deal more damage at the risk of taking more yourself! Your cannons might not be made of glass, but it doesn’t matter since you’re the glass cannon now!

Krak-Out Grog
    Sometimes it’s not about combat or adventure, sometimes its about having a good time and forgetting about what transpired. This Grog once consumed will have you black-out entirely and have you respawn on your ship in a matter of seconds - nice and cozy in your ship’s bed.

Ramsey’s Ghost Rum
    Legends tell of this mighty drink named after the legendary Pirate Lord himself. While you may not have as many servings of this in your typical barrel, drinking this does impress the trading companies enough once you start stumbling and burping that they’ll offer even more reputation than normal per hand-in of loot!

-OTHER NOTES-

Grog Barrels store a total of 20 drinks in them except for the Ramsey’s Ghost Rum, which stores 5

Chest of a Thousand Grogs is now rarer to find, and still carries 1,000 servings of Plain ol’ Grog. It can be mounted on your ship’s Grog Barrel location and loses value the more it has been used, but is much more valuable unused.

• Any spare Grog Barrels found can be handed in to any trading company for gold dependent on how many servings are left in the barrel itself.

• All Grog overheals you, making Plain ol’ Grog the least valuable in comparison to the other options.

• You cannot purchase a Grog Barrel of any type at Athena’s Fortune, only a single serving of your choice.

• If you don’t feel like buying an entire barrel, you can also get single servings from any tavern worker at a much lower cost.

• @scienced17f said in I present: The Theoretical Grog Update!:

Grog is now re-worked! Your ship no longer houses infinite drinks for the sake of drinking, You can now buy a Barrel of Grog (flavour of your choice) to take to your ship for your journeys ahead from any Tavern you spawn at. Grog comes with many benefits. Below is a list of different flavours you can buy!

Plain ol’ Grog
    The usual Grog you’ve always known and loved, with the added benefit of adding additional health much like cooked meat!

Merm-Ale
    Ever wondered what adding a Breath of the Sea to some Grog might do? some tasty Merm-Ale will go down smooth and allow you to hold your breath underwater for even longer than normal!

Reaper’s Brew
    Plan on causing some destruction? Perhaps some Reaper’s Brew will do for you! This dangerous Grog allows you to deal more damage at the risk of taking more yourself! Your cannons might not be made of glass, but it doesn’t matter since you’re the glass cannon now!

Krak-Out Grog
    Sometimes it’s not about combat or adventure, sometimes its about having a good time and forgetting about what transpired. This Grog once consumed will have you black-out entirely and have you respawn on your ship in a matter of seconds - nice and cozy in your ship’s bed.

Ramsey’s Ghost Rum
    Legends tell of this mighty drink named after the legendary Pirate Lord himself. While you may not have as many servings of this in your typical barrel, drinking this does impress the trading companies enough once you start stumbling and burping that they’ll offer even more reputation than normal per hand-in of loot!

-OTHER NOTES-

Grog Barrels store a total of 20 drinks in them except for the Ramsey’s Ghost Rum, which stores 5

Chest of a Thousand Grogs is now rarer to find, and still carries 1,000 servings of Plain ol’ Grog. It can be mounted on your ship’s Grog Barrel location and loses value the more it has been used, but is much more valuable unused.

• Any spare Grog Barrels found can be handed in to any trading company for gold dependent on how many servings are left in the barrel itself.

• All Grog overheals you, making Plain ol’ Grog the least valuable in comparison to the other options.

• You cannot purchase a Grog Barrel of any type at Athena’s Fortune, only a single serving of your choice.

• If you don’t feel like buying an entire barrel, you can also get single servings from any tavern worker at a much lower cost.

Im going to be completely honest with my thoughts on this suggestion, just know i dont think its a bad idea, but it has some problems that i think should be addressed.

1. Plain ol grog can give some overheal, but it should be unique to plain ol, as if others can give the same “base level” ability, then it makes plain ol grog obsolete by design (and makes it so that you essentially have to use grog).

2. Merm ale and krak out grog are both great in my opinion, as they don't give too powerful of an advantage, but do give something i could see myself realistically wanting, i actually quite like the names as well!

3. Reapers brew introduces a meta, and not an insignificant one either, i can see two crews with reapers brew duking it out, and eors instakilling, which is not good by any means (since it favors larger crews over more skilled). Perhaps if it gave some other pvp oriented ability, something like slightly increased movement speed, or idk honestly, but not something too overpowered, it would work better.

4. Ramseys ghost rum becomes obsolete to those who already maxed out companies, but if it also gives more emissary value i can still see it being used.
      Beyond these slight balancing tweaks, i actually see quite a bit of promise in this idea! Reminds me of the old potion shop idea. If i may ask, Would the effects only last while drunk, or would they give you the effect for a short period of time after drinking? It would be better imo if it lasts about, lets say, 5 minutes (max) after drinking, because if its only while drunk i can see it not being used.

• @thatgy16

1. Plain ol' Grog in my eyes is more of a roleplayer's drink, as is Krak-out. Although your idea of making the others not have that over-healing effect certainly rings true as a balance tweak.

2. Thank you! I'm glad you like 'em!

3. Movement speed was actually suggested by another user before I decided the idea of brittle bone hurting juice sounded funnier in my head. I do agree that speed would balance out this unless it had internal testing beforehand.

4. Ramsey's Ghost Rum would go hand in hand with a potential max-rep cap, but yes the idea would carry over to ledger rank also.

As for the rest: Thank you again for reading through this, the effects would last for a time after the initial drink has been consumed, the only difference being that Ramsey's Ghost Rum keeps you drunker for longer in comparison to other drinks.

As an added effect and clarity's sake I'd also say drinking one Grog overrides the previous Grog that has been consumed, but keeps you puking regardless haha.

• The idea of potion brewing is really cool, and using the same grog mechanics to gulp it down makes the idea even better. Great job

• @scienced17f said in I present: The Theoretical Grog Update!:

I've always wanted a Grog Rework, so I wrote my own ideas for fun! Let me know what you think everyone!

Rare will not promote the drinking of any kind of alcohol in a positive gameplay manner, other than for fun social encounters - there's a reason it has drawbacks, mechanically speaking.

It also goes against their policy of horizontal progression and balance between pirates. If I can pay for a special boost to get an advantage, then that's not fair to newer pirates with less in-game currency.

• @scienced17f thanks for the clarity post. I hope that something like this can be developed eventually! It really is a great idea!

Views
feedbackgeneralfan artcommunityjust for fun
1 out of 10