What a horrible first experience playing the game.

• I got the game last night but didn't play very much. Today I joined in on someone who was fairly quite experienced. We did some high level voyages and got a ton of loot. He had to leave unexpectedly so it was just me on the boat. Someone else joined in on my crew and immediately started throwing all my chests overboard. Just as he kept on doing that, 2 ghost ship galleons pop out of the water next to me, homeboy is still throwing chests off board and not helping with the galleons, ship is about to go down so I just leave the game. My question is... WHY can I not kick someone out the crew when it's just the 2 of us and he joins on me?!
    It would not let me kick him, there is no way I can stop him from throwing all my chests overboard. Sucks to see this happen on just my second night of playing.. I'll take a break for a bit but I don't know if i'll want to come back to a community that is this toxic where I would just have to go solo.

Views
  • @nsaine8871 some people just want to see the world burn...don't let you demotivate by individuals like that
    Most people are pretty nice

• I agree with the kick option. It's odd that this isn't a feature of priority after two years since release. Playing with friends is nice, but I like making connections with randoms. The majority of the crew should be able to control situations like this. This current state is madness.

• @scallywagmango sagte in What a horrible first experience playing the game.:

I agree with the kick option. It's odd that this isn't a feature of priority after two years since release. Playing with friends is nice, but I like making connections with randoms. The majority of the crew should be able to control situations like this. This current state is madness.

So what if you're on a sloop, got tons of loot and your partner leaves and another one comes in, what's gonna stop him from kicking you and sell the stuff without you then?

One thing I learned early when the game launched: NEVER PLAY OPEN CREWS! You never know if it's a good guy or a troll unless it's too late

• @schwammlgott
    Open crew is a nightmare, but it doesn't have to be that way! Maybe a pre-game lobby/tavern could be implemented to form crews. This would form a stronger connection with randoms and a sense of an unbreakable crew. Imo, Open Crew needs a serious re-work. Too many beginners join it, only to get trolled by crew-members or sit there like dead fish. Not many know about the official SoT discord, resulting in playing solo and feeling frustrated. Open Crew can be good, it just needs some love.

• @nsaine8871
    @schwammlgott sagte in What a horrible first experience playing the game.:

NEVER PLAY OPEN CREWS! You never know if it's a good guy or a troll unless it's too late

This!
    Soloing is hard, expecially if you are new and need to learn the game, make up for some experience in the game you need to survive.
    There is a lot of knowledge around the game, how to avoid stuff, how to beat stuff, how to deal with this or that situation.
    And the more you sail and become familiar with the world and encounters, the more you are not searching this and that anymore, but know from experience you have more time to do one of the most important things in Sea of Thieves.
    WATCH THE HORIZON!!!
    You had a bad experience with a random crewmember.
    Wait for having a bad experience with a rival crew!
    This need not necessarily be a bad experience and is also depending on your aproach, your stance torwards playing games in general and a horizontal progression game about cosmetics only what wants to be a "social experience" and not a bloodbath only.
    And it depends of if the rival crew is playfull or trahstalking and unnecessarily spawncamping you.
    But the "tools not rules" mindest opens up for less empathic bloodbaths and frustrating moments for you, especially if not that much experienced and still finding your way to play and enjoy the game.

Best tip: find a crew, make friends, take nothing serious, dont grind!!! its just cosmetics. You only miss a shiny hat you will have 3 weeks later if you lose.
    Losing can be frustrating, i agree, but it's the whole experience that counts not if you have won or lost in the end.
    And you will be able to "win" and hand in some treasures for sure if you are stubborn and pirate enough to do so.

Find some nice, likemined people and start the adventure.
    Don't game the system, but be more pirate and have an adventure in the first line.
    This can end with much gold, drinking, dancing, playing music in the tavern or on davy jones locker.
    But as we are in the Sea of Thieves, there is allways a ticket back from the ferry and the journey of your pirate adventure is endless if you dont mind ending with bare hands sometimes!!!

good winds to you
    ~Bill

• @nsaine8871 Sorry that happened. I have had a couple toxic open crew mates but the vast majority have been nice.

I've been stronghold kegged twice, once after a fort and once on an athena mission by open crew mates. Both were pretty annoying but I also learned my lesson to just blow up kegs on open crews.

• You left the crew open so that's on you, not the game.

• Hoping Rare eventually lets us report abusive players, so with enough reports or votes into the Brig/jail they are eventually lumped together with other abusive players going forward.

So for the next many days, they can only join other abusive players in an Open Crew; that way well-behaved players only join other well-behaved (or not yet confirmed abusive) players in an Open Crew.

• Sorry this was your experience, I highly recommend sailing closed crew or going to the community shipmates section and finding that one friend to sail with and make a ton of memories. Community Shipmates Quarters

• @nsaine8871 the behavior of your crew member was against the policies set out as your crew is supposed to be the only pirates you can trust. Feel free to report them.

Why you are unable to kick them is because all pirates on the crew are equals and what would have stopped them from kicking you? We don't have captains other than those that get you to follow them by their actions, there are no in-game titles or roles. Who joined first or last doesn't determine who is the captain or a good crew member, it is the people that control the pirate.

Take note of the first crew member you had, rather than the troll that followed. The funny thing is that you are making the entire community to be toxic, while the first crew member you had sounds like a great chap; they are also a member of the community.

• @marsmayflower said in What a horrible first experience playing the game.:

You left the crew open so that's on you, not the game.

That is a pretty poor response, this guy is clearly new and it is highly unlikely to know about changing crew status' between open and closed. I'd expect better from someone who has been on these forums as long as you have been and it is this kind of disappointing behavior from veteran members of the community that drag this game down. Have a word with yourself.

• The joys of a shared multiplayer world.. This happens.. It ruins the whole experience.. It will happen again with open crews.

Thankfully, this sort of player is not commonly come across.
    I have had a few do similar during my time playing.. I explain that I am recording what happened. Post it off to Xbox & Rare as unsporting behaviour and explaining what transpired and hope some form of justice prevails. It's pretty much all you can do.
    It's probably the only thing I have ever reported another player for in all my time online.

Open crews is a lottery. Probably on every team associated game out there. Some people are just splashtails!

• Sorry to hear this. Random Crews are mixed bag of apples. Unfortunately there isn't much that you can do to stop a "negative" crew member, unless you have the majority vote.

The SoT community is not particularly well known for it's friendliness and honourable behaviour. But there are some nice/fair/helpful players out there. So don't give up after 1 bad apple.

btw- you can set your crew to "closed" if you don't want new crew members popping-in and causing mischief. Sometimes this is good to do when you have a shipload of Loot and are headed to an outpost. Loot is the only thing that you can lose in SoT. (And, I suppose, your Emissary Flag these day?)

• @octopus-lime thanks, Dad

• @marsmayflower You're welcome kid

• @octopus-lime I wish

• @nsaine8871
    Oof, well don't judge the game on just that one awful experience. Go on the SoT discord or use the Xbox party finder and search for teammates. It's 10x better then partying with randoms. Make friends with these party people and keep sailing with folks you can trust :)

• @nsaine8871

Don't give up so easily!

If you are looking to have a more enjoyable experience in the world of Sea of Thieves, I would recommend the following:

• Selectively choose to do 'Open Crew' and if you are playing by yourself, choose 'Closed Crew'.
    • Using 'Looking for Group' on Xbox or Xbox companion. I have used this with great success when playing with others.
    • Turn in loot frequently
    • If you have no loot on your boat and another ship approaches, turn and fight. You have nothing to loose and you will gain invaluable PVP experience in the game.
    • Always watch your horizon, whether on ship or off.
    • Most importantly, do not trust other pirates unless you regularly play with a known pirate. If I another ship says there are friendly, most times they are not friendly.
  • @schwammlgott said in What a horrible first experience playing the game.:

@scallywagmango sagte in What a horrible first experience playing the game.:

I agree with the kick option. It's odd that this isn't a feature of priority after two years since release. Playing with friends is nice, but I like making connections with randoms. The majority of the crew should be able to control situations like this. This current state is madness.

So what if you're on a sloop, got tons of loot and your partner leaves and another one comes in, what's gonna stop him from kicking you and sell the stuff without you then?

One thing I learned early when the game launched: NEVER PLAY OPEN CREWS! You never know if it's a good guy or a troll unless it's too late

I will sometimes play open crews. They can be fun (sometimes). But if a good crew mate quits when the Ship is loaded with Loot I will usually close the crew. OP was probably unaware of this option, being new to the game.

• Every game company refuses to moderate their own playerbase. Still not too sure why, but how often have you seen posts naming and shaming actual cheaters and such that are immediately censored because reasons.
    Toxicity is far milder on that spectrum of players you don't want to meet starting any game so I doubt much will be done about it, in any game.

• @pinkscytheg because naming and shaming is not allowed on the forums plain and simple....

However as anyone should know by know there is a simple fix for this; put in a support ticket: https://support.seaofthieves.com

Views
1 out of 22