How to add more ship types WITHOUT changing much of the game

• Ok, so I have had this one thing going in my head about "How can we add more ships to the game? How can we without making things unbalanced and with minimal effort for the Devs?

I came up with one... simpler way to add more ship types. Having our current ships to have different hull kinds, sail types, and much more. Ok, not the best way to describe it but... you know you could change your clothes that are drastically different? I am talking about that. Like, when you change your hull types, It can go from the generic one we have now, to a beat up looking carvelfor the bilge rat, or maybe to a frigate for Admiral. Or how's about something like May Flower on the Sea Dog's galleon, and something like HMS Prince/Sovereign of the Seas for the sovereign stuff?
    With the sails too. One being torn, the other with clean edges, one built to last, and the last very decorative.

If I were to put it anywhay…

Bilge Rat
    https://imgur.com/7JEXjAN

Admiral
    https://imgur.com/JCj8IXv

Sea Dog
    https://imgur.com/oKHJcaz

Sovereign
    https://imgur.com/tAqRjrU

Basically, what I am getting at, adding new hulls and sails to each of the ships we have currently. If you want me to add images of what I am talking about, I can do that.

Views
  • @cheatingpirate So basically change your hull model and not just it's texture?

• @cheatingpirate said in How to add more ship types WITHOUT changing much of the game:

Ok, so I have had this one thing going in my head about "How can we add more ships to the game? How can we without making things unbalanced and with minimal effort for the Devs?

I came up with one... simpler way to add more ship types. Having our current ships to have different hull kinds, sail types, and much more. Ok, not the best way to describe it but... you know you could change your clothes that are drastically different? I am talking about that. Like, when you change your hull types, It can go from the generic one we have now, to a beat up looking carvelfor the bilge rat, or maybe to a frigate for Admiral. Or how's about something like May Flower on the Sea Dog's galleon, and something like HMS Prince/Sovereign of the Seas for the sovereign stuff?
    With the sails too. One being torn, the other with clean edges, one built to last, and the last very decorative.

Basically, what I am getting at, adding new hulls and sails to each of the ships we have currently. If you want me to add images of what I am talking about, I can do that.

Hitboxes

• @rattlyfob it wouldnt change drastically enough to matter based on what he is saying. RARE needs to go overboard in the cosmetic department.

• @cheatingpirate If instead they simply created a 3 person vessel with two masts and a total of four cannons (aka brig) it would do a lot more for the game.
    This would be 3/4 galleon size and things like it's speed, both with or against the wind and turning circle would be precisely half the difference between the sloop and the galleon.

We are currently catered for solo, duo and foursome, we need that trio option.

edit: I didn't realize this was going to be a "show & tell". :o)

"Brig Amity replica" images courtesy of the Western Australia Museum.

• I'm down to cater to that threesome option anytime you want @Admiral-RRRSole

• @gloog I said "trio" not "threesome" but hey, it's been a long two months at sea for all of us. ;o)

Do I at least get dinner and a movie, first?

• @admiral-rrrsole said in How to add more ship types WITHOUT changing much of the game:

Do I at least get dinner and a movie, first?

Arrrg, we be pirates. Gloog might be willing to share some pork belly and bananas but I woulldn't expect much more than a finger puppet show to go with it.

• @cheatingpirate said in How to add more ship types WITHOUT changing much of the game:

Yes please. I like pictures.

• I would like to see the addition of multiple styles per say of each ship. I think there needs to be content added that had to be achieved through commendations and other tasks and not just always given to everyone. Having people earn the ability to display their achievements makes for a more fulfilling game instead of just buying something anyone can have. It’s always great to see someone or have someone go “oh man that’s awesome how did you get that”. They can add all the content in the world and if it’s not something you earn i feel it won’t make much difference. More legendary selections, commendation items, faction cosmetics.

• @madfingerer said

Arrrg, we be pirates. Gloog might be willing to share some pork belly and bananas but I woulldn't expect much more than a finger puppet show to go with it.

Absolutely PMSL.
    Mind your back for skeletons, I think I woke the dead by laughing so loud.

• @madfingerer Hmmmm

Bilge Rat
    https://imgur.com/LgN1lMr

Admiral
    https://imgur.com/UapTV44

Sea Dog
    https://imgur.com/oM7aOLw

Sovereign
    https://imgur.com/tAqRjrU

(Keep in Mind, the cannons are the same on each ship in-game)

• @admiral-rrrsole I mean that each ship out there has the same ship. Imagine like... getting a free bird toy. then buying another bird that is EXACTLY the same, except one is red the other is green.

• @cheatingpirate Would you suggest keeping a crew limit of four on each ship?
    I do like the idea at maybe a later stage but feel there is more of a need to accommodate small families or groups of three, first.

• @cheatingpirate

Yes I think this would be most welcome by everyone.. if I understand right... more model variations but with the same basic size and specs as the existing ships.

Lets say 3 options of sloops, and three options of galleons,
    This would make for a lot of variety when out on the seas... spotting with the spyglass, or when boarding other boats, the layout could be slightly different on each one.

• @admiral-rrrsole That is an interesting question. If they add a large ship like, let's say a large ship as slow as a sloop, but wider turn rate, 6 cannons on each side... maybe two cannons on the back, then I believe 6-8 people would be fine for that. but I also do believe there should be a "middle" ship between the sloop and galleon.

• @cheatingpirate
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting what you're talking about.
    The ships are going to stay the same in their base properties and stats but have different models that we can change out the way we can currently do for the paint, sails and figurehead. Like changing a body kit on a car. It still drives the same but looks different.
    I like the idea and hope they would have already considered this themselves. They just might not have been able to spend the time and money on it.
    Maybe they'll do something like this in the future, but I sort of expect you'd see this sort of thing later on when they are introducing ways to spend a few extra bucks in game.

They said a new ship would be coming this summer with the 2nd expansion and a 3 person ship with 2 masts makes the most sense.

• @loopct @MadFingerer Yeah EXACTLY what I meant. And I have a hunch that the new ship coming is gonna ve one larger than the galleon.

• @cheatingpirate

What is your hunch based on? It seems like the most likely is a 2 mast, 3 person ship.

• @loopct Remember the huge poll one of the players had? He had plenty of discussion of a Man-O-War type of ship, and we all know that Rare Staff have been following him.

• @cheatingpirate
    I can only hope they add a "large" crew ship that could accommodate 6-8 pirates

• @cheatingpirate
    A little hard to understand your post but I think I get where you're going with this. I really like this idea. Definitely a way to add more ships and keep the community happy in cosmetics and ships at the same time. I would really like to see pictures for the different sloops you may have in mind for variations in hull. edit into in your post!

• I proposed similar in another thread. Basically, you set up some basics about Crew Size and Configurations and then just add options within those Tiers. So you get this basically:

1-2 Crew Size, 2 Cannons (1 per side), 1 Sail (Fast Response), Fast Anchor, etc.
    Sloop: The current ship of this category.

Cutter: A single Mast/Sail ship that is directly known to have a different configuration from a Sloop in look, and can also be equipped with a Triangle Sail so that this can fall in line with the other alternates that I have suggested so that we have some common themes to work off of when approaching the concept.

2-3 Crew Size, 4 Cannons (2 per side), 2 Sails (Moderate Response), Moderate Anchor, etc.
    Brig: A dual Mast/Sail ship that featured a Square Sail setup which would make it a perfect fit to be the next ship type we have released to us in the already confirmed spot (since Square Sails are already a thing, and it sets up a new Crew Configuration). These guys should feature four cannons (two facing each side) and fall somewhere between the small and large ship classes regarding speed and maneuverability and ability to utilize the Sails/Anchor.

Junk: This would be the Triangle Sail variant ship for this size range, and it also has a varied general construction as well for the Hull compared to a Brig. This would make it a nice distinction option for this grade to help add some more variety to the world at large and establishing a style for your Crew.

3-4 Crew Size, 8 Cannons (4 per side), 3 Sails (Slow Response), Slow Anchor, etc.
    Galleon: The current ship of this category.

Frigate: These tend to have a design that sits them lower in the water compared to a Galleon, and tend to have a generally flatter main deck (the helm is raised normally, but it doesn't feature that front section like on a Galleon). They can feature either Triangle or Square Sails, but I propose this one go with Triangle since the Galleon uses the Square helping to further visually distinguish them.

Basically the combo of the different looks of these ships mixed with the differences in sail design I tossed in (which doesn't have to be a thing, just adds even more diversity) means we would have 3 main play styles with 6 different potential appearances. Would certainly make the adventures we have more diverse.

• @admiral-rrrsole I think the Lady Washington would be a better looking ship for a 3 person crew

Like this
    https://imgur.com/VsuHX29

@vDerickv Yeah, what someone else said made it more simple. Basically Body kits. The performance is the same but physically they are very different.

@RedEyeSith With the triangle (Lateen) Sails, junk ships don't have those typically. Wait, do eastern ships even have square sails?

• @cheatingpirate Same difference. What's in a name? lol
    Any ship between sloop and galleon sizes with scaled firepower, speeds and handling would do.

• @admiral-rrrsole Hmmm to my understanding I think the brig was faster than the galleon.

• @cheatingpirate The actual ship model name is not important, it's just a game.

BTW, your pic didn't show before unless you have only just edited in now.
    I am not a sea vessel buff and to me it looks pretty much the same design as the "Brig Amity" pic I posted earlier.
    That was edited in later and you may not have seen it.

• @admiral-rrrsole Brig Amity has a straighter hull and smaller masts. Plus might not be sea worthy irl

• @wldtygronredbul Yeah, same here. I think 6 would be the max they could get away with. Plus the ship would have to be slow as the sloop and have a much wider turning radius to balance it.

One suggesting I did add before was a Carrack. With tall forecastles (Two floors on aft castle, 3 on front to add to balance and looks.) that are meant to house gunners and to keep boarders on the cannon deck. I could draw a reference to what I mean if you want.

• @cheatingpirate

That would be great! Forgot about that... I was just thinking about how a play option with a larger man-o-war could work...

If they were limited to only 2 on a server, and their locations were automatically marked on the map, they could easily find each other for epic PVP ship battles, and at the same time, other players and ships could have an easier time avoiding them if they so desire (and no excuses for any complaints from players who want to play without being blasted out of their sloops)

Admiral
    https://imgur.com/JCj8IXv

Hey that's the HMS Bounty. I proposed to my wife aboard her. RIP

• @m1sterpunch That's Cool! I'm still sad she sunk....

• @loopct Basically, my idea is a Carrack. Again, large fore and aft castled, and two decks below main gun deck. Here is an image of what I am thinking kinda without drawing it myself. Why I bring this image up is because it NEEDS a larger crew. 4 masts on it, more cannons, and more room to hide things, as well as to protect.
    https://imgur.com/Ze6lYKJ

So the lower portion of the ship would have 6 cannons on each side, along with two on the back, which is opened up to allow them to fully swivel around. The captain's gallery would be above that but outside would be flush with the hull itself.

And the thing about this, it is slow to sink but slow to repair as well for how large it is. The holes could be spread out a lot, but still slower to sink and bail water for how much it could hold. And with that, it could be hard to take one out. Even with boarding. Oh.... I forgot to mention carracks were built in a way where it can protect from boarding? The two large fore and aft castles would basically act like... well, castles. The fore castle leads to the ship's beak so it probably ain't a worry. the Aft Castle, on the other hand, goes below deck and to the captain's cabin. And the only way through both castles is a doorway, which others could easily protect like the doorway at skeleton forts. Not to mention these said castles have "windows" that allow snipers to take out the opponent behind said walls. Well, originally swivel guns but those aren't in the game. So, why not the next best thing?

• @cheatingpirate
    I want one of those!! That Carrack would be legendary for sure. It would certainly require a larger deck and would make for an interesting voyage for sure. You would be a large target while being a dangerous force at the same time. I'd certainly have to think for a bit before engaging in combat with one of those in the game.

• I belive we both have a similar idea. An idea i gave in the customisation mega thread was of having different ship designs that served as another ship customisation. Basicly the stairs, railing, lanterns and more would have a different look and design from one another. So a Bilge Rat ship would look beaten up and on its last legs while the Sovereign ship would have lots of gold decals and look like it was made for the wealthy. I even thought about there being traiding company ships that players could get, so imagine an Order of Souls ship that has lots of skeletal designs on it, including lanters that has blue flames.

Views
15 out of 36