Pirate Cuisine [II] : a collection of piratey recipes and drinks

• As the original thread “Pirate Cuisine” is now gone, I thought to re-create this thread and allow others to share their piratey recipes so feel free to share any of your own (Modern/Contemporary) pirate inspired recipes or actual recipes from the pirate era, Arhhhh!

I will also update this original post regularly to organise contents for the menu and link to the posts, making recipes easy to find and try.

Enjoy!!

Menu

Pirate food recipes

Pirate Bean Soup

1712 Salmagundi

Tortuga Rum Cake

18th century Ship's Biscuits/Hard Tac

Brave Sailor’s Banana Bread

Pirate Drink recipes

Monkey Island Grog

Fish Bowl Punch

Vanilla Dark and Stormy

Snake in the grass cocktail

The Captain Colada

Views
  • PIRATE BEAN SOUP

Ingredients
    2 1/2 c. dried pea beans or lima, dried
    1 onion, sliced
    1 tsp. bacon fat
    1 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/2 c. catsup
    1 tbsp. angostura (bitters) found in pkg.

Directions
    Wash beans, cover with cold water and soak overnight. Next day, add water to make 4 cups and simmer for 1 hour, uncovered. Saute onion in bacon fat until golden. Add onion, salt, and pepper to beans and continue simmering for another 2 hours. Just before removing from heat, add catsup and angostura, and stir well.

Sourced from cooks.com

• Monkey Island Grog

Ingredients
    2 c. light rum
    2 c. water (traditionally sea water, but I can't advise that)
    1 c. grapefruit juice
    1 c. orange juice
    1 c. pineapple juice
    ½ c. honey or to taste
    1 tbs. cinnamon or to taste
    Sea salt (optional) to taste
    Add 1 cup Blue Curacao for a green color (optional)
    Green Food Dye (optional)

Directions
    Put all the ingredients in a punch bowl then add the water. You may need to heat the honey and add the cinnamon to the honey first before adding both ingredients to the rest of the liquids. Chill the mixture before serving. This recipe was made for approximately 10 servings.
    More grog!

Sourced from The Geeky Chef

• Cool idea @stacky-a !
    I think I may partake in a few of these.

What do you think? https://pin.it/p6vaog723nerhs

• Fish Bowl Punch

https://imgur.com/o5siCyG
    Ingredients

10oz vodka
    10oz coconut rum
    6oz blue Curacao liqueur
    12oz sweet-and-sour mix
    20oz pineapple juice
    32oz lemon-lime soda
    Blue food coloring, if desired
    3 small fish bowls (each holding 4-5 cups volume)
    1 box (6 oz) Nerds® candy
    12-16 Swedish Fish™ candies (or gummie shark lollies 😊)
    Ice (enough to fill bowls)
    Lemon, lime and orange slices, for garnish
    Drinking straws

Directions
    Step 1
    Mix liquors, sweet-and-sour mix, pineapple juice and soda in a large container. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Step 2
    To serve, divide the Nerds® candy between the three fishbowls and place at the bottom of the bowl (like gravel!). Add ice, and arrange the fish around the outsides of the fishbowls, using the ice to hold the fish in place against the glass.
    Step 3
    Carefully add the punch mixture, dividing equally between bowls. Top each with fruit slices and additional lemon-lime soda (if desired). Serve with straws.

Sourced from Tablespoon.com

• 1712 Salmagundi

(Maybe substitute turtle meat for crab and pigeon for mutton bird.)

Chop into small chunks turtle meat, chicken, pork, beef, ham, pigeon and fish. Marinate with spiced wine and roast. Add the meats to boiled chopped cabbage, anchovies, pickled herring, mango, hard-boiled eggs, palm-hearts, onions, olives and grapes. Add pickled chopped vegetables and garlic, chili pepper, mustard, salt and pepper, and serve in a mound upon a large dish.

Sourced from National geographic, The plate

• @thorhammer3 Great, I've added your suggestion - but you are welcome to post recipes up yourself

• Vanilla Dark and Stormy

https://imgur.com/7IA6h6P
    Prep time: 2 mins

Total time: 2 mins

Serves: 2 beverages

Ingredients
    1/2 cup Spiced Rum
    3/4 cup Ginger Beer
    tiny splash Vanilla Extract
    Juice of 1 lime
    Lime Slices

Instructions

1.Place lime slice and ice in two short cocktail glass.
    2.Measure rum, ginger beer, lime juice, and vanilla into container and stir to combine. Divide between two prepared glasses. Garnish with another lime slice if desired.

Sourced Grumpy's Honeybunch suggested by @Thorhammer3

• I know I said I was going to try and make a few of these in the old thread. Fish Bowl Punch being one I was going to try out during the holidays. Well health got the better of me so there was little food snd drink 'joy' over the xmas period but I shall NOT give in. lol. These things shall be mine.Thanks for reposting @stacky-a. It seems we lost quite s few 'good old' threads in the new year culling that a few are managing to get back out there.

• @stacky-a Love it will have to try a few of your recipes 🍺

• @wargrym That's a shame to hear you were unwell. I still haven't tried some of these myself, keep meaning to though.

• @stacky-a said in Pirate Cuisine [II] : a collection of piratey recipes and drinks:

1712 Salmagundi

(Maybe substitute turtle meat for crab and pigeon for mutton bird.)

Chop into small chunks turtle meat, chicken, pork, beef, ham, pigeon and fish. Marinate with spiced wine and roast. Add the meats to boiled chopped cabbage, anchovies, pickled herring, mango, hard-boiled eggs, palm-hearts, onions, olives and grapes. Add pickled chopped vegetables and garlic, chili pepper, mustard, salt and pepper, and serve in a mound upon a large dish.

Sourced from National geographic, The plate

Did you hear the story about Darwin? On one of his trips to the Galapagos islands I believe? They were noting the species etc. And Darwin was known for wanting to know what things tasted like. William Dampier (well known pirate of the 17th century had noted they were VERY tasty).

In 1835 Darwin visited the islands on HMS Beagle. Not very impressed by the volcanic landmasses. He took 25-30 of the giant tortoise with him as food. It was after this that he completed his 'Theory of evolution' papers partially thanks to the creatures he noted living on such isolated lands as the Galapagos isles. It wasn't until he returned to england that he realised he and his crew had eaten such important evidence of his theory as he sailed around the would gaining inspiration for it.

And partly down to a pirates cullinary tip lol.

Darwin used to be part of the Glutten's Club (think he was head of it) that used to meet weekly and eat exotic, unusual or even endangered creatures. Apparently the only thing he REALLY hated was Owl 😒 lol.

• @stacky-a So glad to see this back!!

• This is super cool! Monkey Island Grog is super good!

• @clumsy-george said in Pirate Cuisine [II] : a collection of piratey recipes and drinks:

@stacky-a
    Hmmm; this pirate bean soup looks intresting...This could give me that little extra " boost" in outswimming attacking sharks...

Oh no..
    What have you done, @stacky-a?!
    WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOMED!

• @thor-von-blitz Just make sure your not down wind of George says I ☠

• @thor-von-blitz Hahaha! Looks like I forgot to put a disclaimer on that recipe - Consume with caution and also beware of those who consume it!

• @thor-von-blitz Unless @stacky-a be a sorceress, can we surely hold them responsible for the Maelstroms @Clumsy-George may summon? I say nay.

At least @Clumsy-George shall n'er find themselves becalmed again. ;)

• SNAKE IN THE GRASS COCKTAIL

https://www.bitememore.com/media/drink/54_1211214014_l.jpg
    Ingredients
    2 oz vodka
    1 oz crème de menthe
    1 tsp fresh lime juice
    Lemonade, to top up glass

Fresh mint, for garnish

Directions
    Fill a tall glass halfway with ice. Add vodka, crème de menthe and lime juice. Stir to combine and top up remaining glass with lemonade. Garnish with fresh mint.

Serves: 1

Sourced from Bit Me More

• I thought these looked simple and fun...

Well, the link is below but it's not what I wanted it to look like. So here is how to make it...

1. Take a whole pineapple cut off the top to make a bowl.
    2. Scoop out pineapple flesh and put into blender.
    3. Add Captain Morgan white or spiced rum to suit alcoholic taste :)
    4. Lastly, probably 1 cup of ice and a small amount of cream of coconut.
      Blend...
      Now pour mixture into pineapple, stick a straw in and enjoy while being pirate!
  • @thorhammer3 Yum! Looks great! 😊

• Gin & lime
    Gin not normally mentioned but equally medicinal for scurvy. Not watered down like grog. I see it as more refined. A naval officers drink. Or for a pirate that would like to go straight and mix with the high society.

• There seems to be a lot of drink recipes so far, so to even it up here is a great pirate cake recipe to try and yes it wouldn't be piratety without the rum!

Tortuga Rum cake

https://imgur.com/fbNBSJd
    Ingredients

2 Cups cake flour
    1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
    3.5 Ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
    4 Teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
    2/3 cups safflower oil
    4 Large eggs
    1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened cashew)
    1/2 cup Caribbean rum*
    1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
    Rum Syrup
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Caribbean rum*

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously spray the inside of a 12 cup bundt pan with baking spray, set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder, salt, butter, and oil. Beat on low until mix resembled small pebbles.

Add the eggs, milk, rum, and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined and smooth, scraping the sides as needed.

Evenly sprinkle the chopped pecans/walnuts into the bundt pan. Pour in the cake batter, tap on the counter to remove air bubbles, and bake for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.

Remove cake from oven and set on a cooling rack while you make the Rum Syrup.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water, and sugar.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved and begins to thicken.

Remove from heat and stir in the rum.

Slowly begin to pour the syrup over the cake while still warm. Allow syrup to soak in and continue until all syrup has been used.

Allow cake to cool completely in the pan, preferably overnight.

Carefully remove cake from the bundt pan. This cake is rather delicate and you can not move it once it is on the cake plate.
    Note
    *if you don't have Caribbean rum, substitute Bacardi Gold.

Sourced from Cookingwithcurls.com

• @stacky-a

If anyone is wanting to recreate that authentic 18th century atmosphere snack wise, why not bake yerself a few Ship's Biscuits! Plenty of time to let them harden between now n' Wednesday :D

There are a fair few variations on the recipe, this one is from the National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth.

Recipe
    To produce a similar plain ships biscuit, a medium coarse stone-ground wholemeal flour should be used.

Add water to 1lb wholemeal flour and 1/4oz salt to make a stiff dough.

Leave for 1/2 hour and then roll out very thickly.

Separate in to 5 or 7 biscuits. Bake in a hot oven approx. 420 degrees F for 30 minutes.

The biscuits should
    then be left undisturbed in a warm dry atmosphere to harden and dry out.

Biscuits – or “hard tack” was an important part of the sailor’s diet until the mid-nineteenth century. Newer preserving methods, such as canning that first appeared around 1813, provided the Navy with better means of providing fresher foods. Beef preserved in tins was introduced in 1847 although Arctic explorers had been using tinned food before then. Additionally, in the mid-1850’s ship design was improved to include baking ovens that provided the sailors with fresh “soft” bread.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/featured_x3/public/prints/d4001_1.jpg?itok=ZzEoVHCO

• Since bananas are a big part of this pirate game, why not try some pirate inspired banana bread!!

Brave Sailor’s Banana Bread

https://imgur.com/t0F8cFv

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    2 beaten eggs
    3-4 ripe bananas
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger (optional. Another option is dried apricots)

Directions

Place an insulated cookie sheet in your galley oven and preheat to slightly over 350.
    In a large bowl, blend shortening, sugar and lemon rind until creamy.
    Mix together (or sift– but who sifts any more?) flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening and sugar mixture.
    Beat the batter until smooth.
    Mash your bananas.
    Beat in eggs and bananas.
    Fold in almonds and crystalized ginger.
    Place the batter in a greased 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.
    Place the loaf pan on the cookie sheet in your preheated oven.
    Bake for one hour or until a a knife inserted comes out clean.

Sourced from Galley Pirates

Views
7 out of 25