Rescue a pirate, save a soldier!

• I mentioned this before, in my initial introductory post to the forums, but I thought that it's worth creating a thread solely dedicated to the subject.

On most days, from 2 PM to 4 PM PST, I will be in-game playing the part of a castaway stranded on Old Salts Atoll. I will also have with me one or two chests of random quality. Players who discover me are welcome to take the chests, I will not attempt to stop them. However, if they agree to take me to my outpost of choice, I will donate anywhere between 1$ to 5$ to Wounded Warrior Project in their name! (I would donate more, but I'm not operating on a stable income right now.)

As the saying goes, "A little kindness goes a long way." It's that train of thought that drives me to keep this social experiment going for as long as I possibly can. So if you happen to sailing by Old Salts Atoll and see an old, one-eyed, one-legged, one-handed man with a tangled mess for a hair and beard and with the name Nexrum above his head waving to you, please consider coming ashore! I promise that the only thing that you'll have to worry about are those pesky Skeletons that like to pop up every now and then!

More information is available over here, in this Twitter thread of mine. It's also where I'll be most active in terms of keeping a record of the experiment as it plays out. But that doesn't mean I'll ignore this thread completely. If enough people show interest in this endeavor of mine, I'll start posting updates here as well!

Gönderiler
    Görüntüleme
  • @nexrum Haha that's a funny thing to do, I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

• Nice one, im doing my own experience to. im Trying to travel the world only on the boats of other crews. Im ancious to see how meny ppl acept me in their boats.

• @nanatyl5d I sure would, but would keep a constant eye on you, don't wanna see my whole loot missing!

• @captnsmile lol im not steling nothing. Go see my last post "tales from a homeless (boatless) tramp" there im explaning what i did last nigth. It was very funny moments.

• @ant-heuser-kush I'm sorely tempted to make a donation in your honor right now! The last few weeks have actually prevented me from dedicating time to the experiment. When I have had the time to get in-game, I'd taken to sailing with a crew of my friends. It's been the only way I've been able to shake off the stress that life's been deciding to heap upon my shoulders.

• Update!

• @nexrum You sir, are a true Legendary Pirate.

I will hope to join your server and look for you on Old Salts Atoll. Although our chances of a server match-up are very slim.
    But if I may, take you to an outpost to honor your wish (free of charge) before returning you where I'd like to donate more loot for your noble cause.

• @nexrum I'm following you on twitter and making sure for the next day or so I make sure to check old salts atoll. It's my mission to find you sir!

• @nexrum What a wonderful gesture! I'll be sure to keep a look out for you if I'm on at those times, and I hope you get some good results!

Good luck matey!

• @Admiral-RRRSole I would gladly welcome your company and the extra contribution, sir! Even as little as a penny would make it feel like a mission accomplished!

@Elexio I shall keep an eye peeled for you, madam! If you don't see me there today, check back on Sunday! As I mentioned in my latest update, I'm thinking about dedicating that particular portion of the weekend to the endeavor!

@LucianSanchez82 Thank you so much, sir! If nothing else, you (as well as the others that I've tagged) are welcome to add me as a friend and sail with me in the traditional sense whenever y'happen to see me on!

• Update!

• Why are you sitting on an Island with two random chests to donate money to WWP? Just out of curiosity. I'm a disabled veteran and would you be willing to donate to DAV or VFW instead? WWP has had some corruption issues and DAV and VFW doing much better work for veterans.

• Update!
    (Tagging @Elexio and @RevanJStone due to their relevance in it!)

• @edemardil I was unaware of any corruption within the ranks of WWP. Feel free to contact me through the forums' built-in chat utility to discuss alternatives!

EDIT: To actually answer your question... I thought it was a good way to help bring the community closer together. If I had my way, I'd spend every Sunday doing a Legendary Voyage with a completely random crew, then at the end of it donate the equivalent of the total amount of gold earned to a charity helping to support our woefully underappreciated troops. But, alas, this is all that I'm capable of...

• alt text
    alt text

• @nexrum said in Rescue a pirate, save a soldier!:

@edemardil I was unaware of any corruption within the ranks of WWP. Feel free to contact me through the forums' built-in chat utility to discuss alternatives!

EDIT: To actually answer your question... I thought it was a good way to help bring the community closer together. If I had my way, I'd spend every Sunday doing a Legendary Voyage with a completely random crew, then at the end of it donate the equivalent of the total amount of gold earned to a charity helping to support our woefully underappreciated troops. But, alas, this is all that I'm capable of...

As a veteran with combat related disability, I appreciate your cause. I listed a few alternatives in my initial reply. I think you have to be careful with games like this though. This tends to not be a community of people who give a damn about things like that.

I would also say, our troops are the most appreciated in the world. Al though the VA healthcare system is pretty cruddy in a lot of places, I live fairly comfortably and get things for free that my woefully underappreciated fellow Americans never get. I won't turn you from any noble cause but there are people who are living homeless and children undereducated that I as a Veteran would rather see get help than people like me. And believe me, I could always use the help. Save your money and buy yourself a house instead. Then go into the community and pick up trash or give water bottles to homeless folks on hot days. Give people rides to the VA or Doctors who don't have cars. Stuff like that.

• @edemardil said in Rescue a pirate, save a soldier!:

As a veteran with combat related disability, I appreciate your cause. I listed a few alternatives in my initial reply. I think you have to be careful with games like this though. This tends to not be a community of people who give a damn about things like that.

I would also say, our troops are the most appreciated in the world. Al though the VA healthcare system is pretty cruddy in a lot of places, I live fairly comfortably and get things for free that my woefully underappreciated fellow Americans never get. I won't turn you from any noble cause but there are people who are living homeless and children undereducated that I as a Veteran would rather see get help than people like me. And believe me, I could always use the help. Save your money and buy yourself a house instead. Then go into the community and pick up trash or give water bottles to homeless folks on hot days. Give people rides to the VA or Doctors who don't have cars. Stuff like that.

I can look into rotating my choices of charity, so that every week a different one will be the focus of my efforts. If I weren't likewise bogged down by a plethora of medical issues, I'd be out there doing all those things and more. As it stands, I'm very limited in what I can do in this world. Not any one problem is truly bad, but together they can (and often do) make existence downright debilitating at times.

• Update!

• Important Update!

• Hahahah had once s Guy say ingame that he was stranded with No boat and wanted a ride with his chest to an outpost, i shot him took his chest, smiled and sailed away Hahhahahaha :D

And once when i was solo on a sloop i whent to outpost and a Guy were standing on the bridge with alot of loot, and he Said this is free give away day, and i Said to him naaah keep your loot and sell it and i sell My loot, but he pushed and Said No its your i help you, okey i started to sell and then he Said Hey u need to hurry up a gallion is on the way, the gallion came, we started to fight, he screamed noooooo we all can be friends here, i killed the gallion crew and sailed away with My sloop and loot hahahaahahaah :D

• @alzheimeers
    alt text

• @nexrum haha If i would see it again i wont shoot lol :D

• @nexrum Oh I hope we have the chance to sail past you soon! That would be awesome. We usually approach everyone in a friendly way, so we really won't mind taking you all across the map to wherever ya want. XD

Good luck!

• @nexrum What an amazing Idea! I'm literally going to go there each time I log in just to see if you're there from now on!

• @AlzHeimeerS Good to know!

@YaCantDutchThis & @KyahStar Gosh, thank you so much! But I have to point out that the second-to-last update that I made talked about a potential change in plan. As much as I love Old Salts Atoll, the area that it's in just doesn't get that much traffic. Back when I was trying to make this a daily endeavor, I had as many as three hours go by without so much as a glimpse of a sloop on the horizon. (Those were aggravating experiences to say the least!) Now, I'm thinking about simply settling down in whatever tavern it is that I spawn into. With any luck, that will greatly increase the chances of me bumping into someone.

• Another important update!

• What's that on the horizon over there? Yet another important update?! Ye gads, you best steer towards it immediately!

• Last update of the month! Thank you, everyone, for your help and interest! I'll see you in a few weeks!

• I return, and bring with me another update!

• Here is another update for you all. Please do take the time to read it.

• I'll look for you today!

• @bern-dimall I won't be on today, but I appreciate the enthusiasm! Tell you what; I've got an abundance of Chips Ahoy! codes to give out. If you don't have any of those items, I'd be happy to give you enough of 'em to guarantee you the whole set! Otherwise? I'll make a note of your name, and when I get back on my feet financially I'll go ahead and make a donation to WWP in your name anyway. :)

• @nexrum That's a nice gesture Nexrum. I actually have gotten the onyx set because I love dunking chips ahoys in milk! Lol. I do have a dear friend in Australia though that could use a 3rd code so he can play. I've given him two codes and tried to buy him a 90 day game pass but USA online purchases doesn't work in Australia. Chips Ahoy codes do though. Go figure. His name is Bradbre 360. If you'd add him as a friend and send him one code it'd extend his playtime 2 days. What you're doing is from the heart and much appreciated.

• @bern-dimall I can give 'im an additional two. Do you know if he's available to contact here? I can send him a PM, just so he doesn't think some random stranger is trying to give him somethin' bogus.

Gönderiler
Görüntüleme
1 / 74