burning sails

• I don't want to put in any new kind of repair feature, but maybe a new consequence for using firebomb.
    Masts can catch fire these days, but nothing happens to sails. What if they caught fire along with the mast? The consequence of this would be a reduction in the speed that the sail provides. This would perhaps create a new strategy for using firebombs. And to eliminate this debuff in the sail, it would be enough to put out the fire on the mast, something simple to do, and no other resource would be needed to repair the sail.
    What do you think about this?

Публикации
    Просмотры
    communityjust for funcompetition
  • I am not sure how i feel about it as a mechanic. Might be broken against certain ship types. However, i'd love a cosmetic that has your sails look like they are on fire

• I think this is cool on paper but in practice feel this is just going to make running away an even stronger strategy than it already is since now you can just firebomb the enemy ship from the water to slow them down.

Maybe if it took sails some time to catch than that could be cool but then idk how impactful it would be.

• @nitroxien said in burning sails:

I think this is cool on paper but in practice feel this is just going to make running away an even stronger strategy than it already is since now you can just firebomb the enemy ship from the water to slow them down.

Maybe if it took sails some time to catch than that could be cool but then idk how impactful it would be.

Truth. I didn't realize how much it affects a sail if the sails flares immediately.
    I agree. A cooldown before the sails set fire is a good mechanic

• Seems redundant to me with chainshots effectively already doing the same thing.

• The delay might not be required, since you also noted that snuffing the Mast would handle the Sails. So it would take a whooping 1-3 buckets of water to fix the problem depending on Ship Size and number of Masts/Sails set ablaze.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. This strikes me as one of those I would need to test it and see how it feels in practice as opposed to just waxing philosophical about it. Could be worth having Insiders try it out and see how it goes.

• @galactic-geek said in burning sails:

Seems redundant to me with chainshots effectively already doing the same thing.

Maybe not. A chainshot breaks and knocks down the mast, and if it's a sloop, it totally stops the ship. The concept here is the sails to ignite and reduce, do not stop fully, the speed that the sails provides

• @maironds88 said in burning sails:

@galactic-geek said in burning sails:

Seems redundant to me with chainshots effectively already doing the same thing.

Maybe not. A chainshot breaks and knocks down the mast, and if it's a sloop, it totally stops the ship. The concept here is the sails to ignite and reduce, do not stop fully, the speed that the sails provides

That's just a byproduct of a sloop having, guess what - 1 sail! But a brig or galleon? They slow down! Same principle!

• Hmmmmmm, I think this would need to be tested extensively to ensure it wouldn't upset balance.

But now how would you repair your sail? With wood?

• @personalc0ffee said in burning sails:

Hmmmmmm, I think this would need to be tested extensively to ensure it wouldn't upset balance.

But now how would you repair your sail? With wood?

I mentioned that. Just put out the fire from the mast and it's settled. The fire in the sails would be a visual effect, without consuming it, and after putting out the fire they would be as before.
    Creating a new material for repair, in addition to the planks, would not be necessary, I think.

• @maironds88 Idk, I think that would be confusing.

• @personalc0ffee It's because I can't imagine someone sewing a sail during battle, other than someone fixing holes in the hull or putting out fires on board.
    Maybe apply some kind of wax to cover the holes made by fire? I really don't know, I don't know anything about sailing boat maintenance.
    Do you have something on your mind?

• @maironds88 said in burning sails:

@personalc0ffee It's because I can't imagine someone sewing a sail during battle, other than someone fixing holes in the hull or putting out fires on board.
    Maybe apply some kind of wax to cover the holes made by fire? I really don't know, I don't know anything about sailing boat maintenance.
    Do you have something on your mind?

What would they do back in ye olden times?

"Hold on I have to patch this!" * busy sewing* Cannonball whizzes past.

I imagine they had some sort of quick fix method until they got to port or calmer waters. I actually don't know, maybe someone else does.

Публикации
Просмотры
communityjust for funcompetition
1 из 13