Separate map with each new season. New islands and places to explore.

• I was thinking, wouldnt it be cool if they did something similar to each season like Apex does with the map? I get several missions going to the same islands getting treasures and I thought it would be more intriguing to have the entire map change. nothing super crazy but maybe move the islands around, change the names, and shapes of the islands just so it doesnt feel so repetitive. The game is almost perfect otherwise and I didnt think I would love it the way I do, but I really feel as if the diversity and change in environment from time to time would benefit all the players significantly and make the experience of playing feel like you can explore even further with each update. Another great Idea would be to maybe add different objectives based on the patch or season. Like instead of collecting the same items and chest, add season based objectives and loot that creates an even more diverse experience. What is everyones thoughts?

Wyświetlenia
    feedbackgeneralquestioncommunityevents
  • Familiarity breeds comfort. Maybe just add an Island.

Heck I'd be ok if it was just 1 Island and it went away after a season.

Just put it in the West as that is my stomping grounds.

• @glannigan I do agree with you to an extent, but at the same time, whats an exploration game if you have already explored everything?

• Don’t ruin my memory! I don’t want to have to relearn everything after each season. Apex and Fortnite do this, but they are both VERY different to SoT. It would also take a lot longer for actual content updates to come out as the team would have to be modelling and naming and coding all the changes!

Why’d you reply to yourself?

• @scurvywoof that is true, but with current technology they could easily write a code that could even randomly generate the islands. and what about exploring? dont you enjoy finding something new? or do you just like knowing everything and repeat the same stuff over and over? Just my opinion, but this game is about exploring new lands and finding new treasures, but at the moment there is nothing new ever. so once you do everything then what? start over?

• @scurvywoof also, it wouldnt ruin your memory, the experience of travels still give you the knowledge of how to operate the ship, fight enemies and find treasure, it would just change up a little so we could have new experiences. Maybe its just me, but I think being able to be introduced to new environments from time to time would benefit everyone in a way you feel like youre actually exploring and you cant deny the satisfaction and excitement you get when you see something you have never seen before!

• @cevori said in Map Changes with each new season. New islands and places to explore.:

@scurvywoof that is true, but with current technology they could easily write a code that could even randomly generate the islands. and what about exploring? dont you enjoy finding something new? or do you just like knowing everything and repeat the same stuff over and over? Just my opinion, but this game is about exploring new lands and finding new treasures, but at the moment there is nothing new ever. so once you do everything then what? start over?

Sea of Thieves lore is important to a lot of people, what are they going to think when Rare all of a sudden has to do a bit of lazy writing because of the island changes? Not to mention, modelling takes a long time and getting hit boxes, PvE spawns and chest locations.
    It’d be nice to explore a couple of new islands, but I don’t want the current islands to go or change. They have been their since the start, and I will be very unhappy if they go!

• @scurvywoof again i think the changes would be simple, but may I ask why would you forever want to play on the same islands all the time? also maybe they could just add a second ocean to play in that could change with the seasons, like a separate option so people like yourself could still have the same islands but the people that want new fresh ideas consistently could explore new lands or have the option to return to the home world whenever they please. would that be a compromise worth settling for?

• @cevori said in Map Changes with each new season. New islands and places to explore.:

@scurvywoof also, it wouldnt ruin your memory, the experience of travels still give you the knowledge of how to operate the ship, fight enemies and find treasure, it would just change up a little so we could have new experiences. Maybe its just me, but I think being able to be introduced to new environments from time to time would benefit everyone in a way you feel like youre actually exploring and you cant deny the satisfaction and excitement you get when you see something you have never seen before!

Yeah? My memory is knowing how low or high the sandbar is around each island, how’s that going to change with them? I get satisfaction and excitement from new games I’m playing, like when I first started playing SoT. The same game? Not really, no matter what’s added to it.
    I agree that being introduced to new environments would benefit everyone, but these new environments will not be my precious islands.

• These changes would not be simple. A lot of stuff depends on the island configurations - all the voyage riddles for that island, spawn locations, order of souls spawns, possible tall tale locations, etc... The islands are hand crafted and not procedurally generated.

It's not feasible to change this all the time.

They get changed occasionally, but in smaller increments because that is least likely to break something else.

@scurvywoof again i think the changes would be simple, but may I ask why would you forever want to play on the same islands all the time? also maybe they could just add a second ocean to play in that could change with the seasons, like a separate option so people like yourself could still have the same islands but the people that want new fresh ideas consistently could explore new lands or have the option to return to the home world whenever they please. would that be a compromise worth settling for?

I am insistent on the same islands because they are what I know and love. They are familiar to me and I know the ins and outs of almost every island. Why would I want that to change? Also, islands changing are not ‘new or fresh’ in the slightest. I guarantee you there are a lot of people who have played Fortnite or Apex who now play SoT, and what happens every couple of months in those games? MAP CHANGE! I don’t want this for SoT.

also maybe they could just add a second ocean to play in that could change with the seasons, like a separate option so people like yourself could still have the same islands but the people that want new fresh ideas consistently could explore new lands or have the option to return to the home world whenever they please. would that be a compromise worth settling for?

But how would they implement a second ocean? In the menu, there’s Adventure Two: Electric Boogaloo? Or Tall Tales? I’d be fine if it was a seperate ocean or even if it were Tall Tales, but Tall Tales would be the best place for it, imo.

• @d3adst1ck Merchant shipment Voyages would also be a hell. Same with all the Tall Tale specific Islands and locations.

• did something similar to each season like Apex does with the map

And with that. No thanks
    It seems like an idea but it’s not that magical of a place where it’s different all the time.
    It suppose to be based off a location hidden from the real world. Guarded by a threatening fog/shroud

Also. I always dislike when games copy others.

• This would be awful. from a casual player that just loots and runs away from everyone... maybe those kids would enjoy it.. but i dont want to go in long winded detail on how. For people who really play the game tho, we would all start quitting

• @scurvywoof idk, there are many ways to make this a reality without ruining lore, without getting rid of previous islands or changing the way the game works for you. I just dont quite understand the concept of learning the ins and outs of the islands because you're just repeating the same missions over and over. I've never liked doing the same thing over and over. If you have to go dig up a treasure from the same island multiple times, doesn't that get boring? and if not how? you direct a ship for 10 minutes to each island only for you to do the same mission again and again. that doesn't make you want to experience something new? Maybe I just want more realism im not sure, but I once dug up 3 treasures from the same island on 3 DIFFERENT missions. If that doesnt say we need more then idk what does

• @d3adst1ck this doesn't really make sense to me, why is it that apex can change a map all the time? I'm sure they hand craft it too but what you fail to realize is that for a lot of games like these it is copy paste, all the trees in SoT are copy pasted, the sand textures and rocks too. its a lot more simple than you would think but i think we all know that none of us design games so we don't really have the right to say if its easy or not, all I know is that it is doable. Point being, I guess it really wouldn't be up to us, and we don't need to make up excuses, I just made this thread to see if people thought it would be cool or not, if you don't think so then that's okay, but trying to explain to me that it wouldn't work or it would be difficult is just BS to me because I have a feeling nobody playing the game really understands what it would take or what it took to build the game in the first place.

@d3adst1ck this doesn't really make sense to me, why is it that apex can change a map all the time?

Apex doesn't have quests that rely on placement of paintings, trees, paths, and other monuments in order to solve.

You're asking why can't an apple be an orange.

• @cevori said in Separate map with each new season. New islands and places to explore.:

Maybe I just want more realism

You wan't more realism but you want a world that is enshrined in lore to be randomly generated each time? Randomly generating the world does not provide realism for a game like SoT. It might work in a game like Apex or Fortnight where you could just generate a new 'arena' to fight in but generating a new world for a game like SoT doesn't work.

The whole premise of a a world map helps drive the narrative of the world and the lore that is enshrined within it (locations of islands, stories, quests, artefacts etc). You can't just randomly generate that each season because you are 'bored' with exploring the world, it's a ridiculous suggestion. Would you expect to see something like San Andreas in GTA randomly generated every 3 months to become a whole new city too. Grove St, is no more because it's been moved and renamed so the whole lore around Grove St as a central story location and the Grove St Gang go away..... because thats the logic you are trying to apply here, you are trying to completely upend the universe the story is set in and make it different but still keep the lore.

I think what you are trying to suggest would be some variation in the world because you said you are bored with digging treasure in the same location. Maybe a better way to address that problem would be to create more randomly generated dig sites on islands so that you are 'not always digging up treasure in the same location'.....not regenerate and move the entire map.

• @glannigan said in Separate map with each new season. New islands and places to explore.:

Familiarity breeds comfort. Maybe just add an Island.

Heck I'd be ok if it was just 1 Island and it went away after a season.

I second this. It is nice to be able to have familiar islands to go to, and there are players who have their favorite islands and memories of things done on different islands. It helps emphasizes the area being able to retain having history. Islands also have lore linked with them.

That said, the idea of an island behind an instance that could be constantly changing could be rather fun. I could see how an island of the dead could constantly shift, as it technically would not be a physical island. It could be intertwined with a tall tale and quest of the dead.

• @cevori I think you sir fail to realize that Sea of Thieves is a completely different game from the ones you’re basing this suggestion off of.

• @cevori said in Separate map with each new season. New islands and places to explore.:

@scurvywoof idk, there are many ways to make this a reality without ruining lore, without getting rid of previous islands or changing the way the game works for you. I just dont quite understand the concept of learning the ins and outs of the islands because you're just repeating the same missions over and over. I've never liked doing the same thing over and over. If you have to go dig up a treasure from the same island multiple times, doesn't that get boring? and if not how? you direct a ship for 10 minutes to each island only for you to do the same mission again and again. that doesn't make you want to experience something new? Maybe I just want more realism im not sure, but I once dug up 3 treasures from the same island on 3 DIFFERENT missions. If that doesnt say we need more then idk what does

You consider 3 dig quests on one island as a bad thing ?

If you want treasure quick that's a good thing (unless Flameheart is hovering above it - again ) it saves on travel time.

@scurvywoof idk, there are many ways to make this a reality without ruining lore, without getting rid of previous islands or changing the way the game works for you. I just dont quite understand the concept of learning the ins and outs of the islands because you're just repeating the same missions over and over. I've never liked doing the same thing over and over. If you have to go dig up a treasure from the same island multiple times, doesn't that get boring? and if not how? you direct a ship for 10 minutes to each island only for you to do the same mission again and again. that doesn't make you want to experience something new? Maybe I just want more realism im not sure, but I once dug up 3 treasures from the same island on 3 DIFFERENT missions. If that doesnt say we need more then idk what does

I don’t play the game until it’s not fun anymore. I learnt that when I quit Fortnite a couple years ago. Some tips of advice so it’s not so boring:

• Do no more than 3 voyages a day
    • Spice it up with some PvP, but don’t take it seriously
    • Do world events, they are a nice change of flow and don’t require the same island over and over
    • Do a Tall Tale or two occasionally
    • Play with a crew, that’s the best tip. Having a funny and entertaining crew is about the best thing in SoT
  • Change the map altogether? No, thank you.
    As many have said, each island is unique, large or small, and many have created unique stories in each of them. In addition to knowing the locations and their details allows players to create unique strategies for what they want to do, fight, steal, run away, roleplay, do PvE, anything.
    This is one of the things that make up the story of your pirate, and that add to your learning

Wyświetlenia
feedbackgeneralquestioncommunityevents
2 z 24