Will I get banned for my ship name?

• Literally yesterday I bought a Sloop and named her, “The Valiant Seaman.” Then I heard about the Captain Dickens situation, and I’m worried.
    I have another much safer name I’m saving for a Gally but I could use it for my sloop

Visualizzazioni
    question
  • well, this brings some attention to it

In current conditions I wouldn't roll with it, not really worth the risk to me and since it's worrying you I would go through the process of creating something less risky, even if it cost more gold or 5 bucks.

in reference to the original name in the post

• @wolfmanbush said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

I would go through the process of creating something less risky, even if it cost more gold or 5 bucks.

Really since the devs are tightening restrictions so far they should either give out a temporary name change freebie, or at least a gold cost for a name change.
    Surprising everyone by tightening naming standards beyond existing game content (no rare, removing that content retroactively doesn't change the situation) and then charging you $5 to not get banned is a scummy move.

• @wolfmanbush I misremembered. I wanted to name her the first post, but didn’t want to push it even then so it was valiant not slippery

• @futurecascade37 said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@wolfmanbush I misremembered. I wanted to name her the first post, but didn’t want to push it even then so it was valiant not slippery

It's not my decision but I wouldn't worry much about the one you edited in.

Far more in the reasonable range and outside of the vulgar range imo but I don't make those decisions.

Imo the middle word is often the way to decide

valiant isn't a reference to anything dirty

seaman is just a part of sea life

a dirtier middle word is gonna be what makes or breaks it imo

and then using "e" instead of an "a" would also make a big difference.

• Rule of thumb
    (which a lot of kids ingame dont seem to care)
    If you think its 'bad' then it might as well be. Don't do it.

• @scheneighnay said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@wolfmanbush said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

I would go through the process of creating something less risky, even if it cost more gold or 5 bucks.

Really since the devs are tightening restrictions so far they should either give out a temporary name change freebie, or at least a gold cost for a name change.
    Surprising everyone by tightening naming standards beyond existing game content (no rare, removing that content retroactively doesn't change the situation) and then charging you $5 to not get banned is a scummy move.

This really depends on how much cracking down they are doing as most of this has just been things we have heard around and not necessarily confirmed.

Going off the the logs I have found when it comes to adult themes they lean towards lacking subtly. Less innocent and more blatantly edgy, considering the environment.

• It's a rank in the Navy and a term that's been generally used for sailors for a minute........ There's no way it's an issue. If it is, it's not a game either of us want to continue playing because at that point Rare would've gone certifiably crazy.

• We found a doozy of one today. Not gonna say it cause I don't want them to witch hunt that player, but we got a good chuckle 😆

If the forum won't let you post it don't use it. But I had one that I can't say on the forum but the game let me so there's that too.

When in doubt, leave it out 🤷🏽‍♀️

• @danbeardluff said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

It's a rank in the Navy and a term that's been generally used for sailors for a minute........ There's no way it's an issue. If it is, it's not a game either of us want to continue playing because at that point Rare would've gone certifiably crazy.

blinks in thought
    If they are indeed tightening the "Family Friendly" aspect so it extends to minute things, then keep doing what you're doing Rare!

• @kalgert said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

blinks in thought
    If they are indeed tightening the "Family Friendly" aspect so it extends to minute things, then keep doing what you're doing Rare!

Family friendly isn't about controlling and enforcing harshly it's about creating a welcoming shared environment for different types of people.

It's reasonable to want to keep adult themes out of the ship names in a game where younger people participate. That's not justification to look for more control. It's about keeping it welcoming and safe, not strictly controlled and enforced in all areas.

Freedom of individuality and expression is as important here as it is anywhere. That doesn't mean everything goes but it does mean that leniency and freedom should exist in all places that it can.

• @wolfmanbush What I was getting at is if they are indeed trying to get a firmer hold on the naming conventions by restricting names that are more cheeky, then I am all for it if it means that people will be feeling more reluctant to keep playing.

• @kalgert said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@wolfmanbush What I was getting at is if they are indeed trying to get a firmer hold on the naming conventions by restricting names that are more cheeky, then I am all for it if it means that people will be feeling more reluctant to keep playing.

why would we want people to feel reluctant to keep playing?

all we need is for people to be considerate in a shared environment so as many people as possible keep playing.

Not really a reason to get personal over it, the goal should be to get more people to want to keep enjoying the experience so they don't struggle to follow the rules rather than trying to find ways to get people to go somehow else.

• @wolfmanbush said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@kalgert said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@wolfmanbush What I was getting at is if they are indeed trying to get a firmer hold on the naming conventions by restricting names that are more cheeky, then I am all for it if it means that people will be feeling more reluctant to keep playing.

why would we want people to feel reluctant to keep playing?

all we need is for people to be considerate in a shared environment so as many people as possible keep playing.

Not really a reason to get personal over it, the goal should be to get more people to want to keep enjoying the experience so they don't struggle to follow the rules rather than trying to find ways to get people to go somehow else.

This user as admitted to stopping playing because of some core aspects of the game, they seem to bitterly want others to stop as well I guess, whatever the reason is?

• I mean, sure, it's a little crude. But we're in a game about pirates and the sea. I don't think it's outlandish by any means, but... I don't know what the Devs are thinking either. I'd keep it and if they force a name change, well, there's your answer. I don't think you'd be banned over it, personally. THAT seems outlandish.

• @scheneighnay said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

@wolfmanbush said in Will I get banned for my ship name?:

Surprising everyone by tightening naming standards beyond existing game content (no rare, removing hthat content retroactively doesn't change the situation) and then charging you $5 to not get banned is a scummy move.

Not sure how severe the ban is, and what bans they have in place. But from what I have seen, if they ban you for a ill-mannered name, they remove your rights to name your ship.

Same bans are present for pets, and naming them with curse words they remove your right to name current/future pets forever...

The whole name thing just kinda seems odd, I don't see anything offensive for your ship name personally. But as others stated, better be safe then sorry, or if you don't care about naming ships as a result of getting name banned.

Visualizzazioni
question
15 su 16