Overachiever Sails

• So Rare has recently announced they're lowering the threshold for completing achievements which I am completely fine with because achievements aren't a big deal for me, but what is are in game items. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to get every item that the average player could possibly get. So it was to my chagrin when they recently announced that people who completed the original goals for one of the achievements would get a Special Overachiever sails.

Obviously I'm a bit peeved because this came out of the blue and gave no advance warning about this especially a reward. Had I known I would have grinded it out to get one of the achievements and get the item. I like many other people were close to completing some of these achievements.

A simple solution would be to make the over achiever sails a sort of hidden reward. If you complete one of the original achievement goals from here on out you'll be rewarded the sails. You still have to work just as hard to get it, but it's still available for people to get.

Publications
    Vues
  • @shamanmclamie wow this game just makes me more and more angry .. this on top of not tracking our previous history for the new commendations .. as someone who grinded almost everything and was PL 10 just a few weeks after launch I can say I am truly dissapointed

• @shamanmclamie I 100% agree with you..when I first heard about this I went off in a different thread lol..I put so much time and money into this game to have everything because that is just how I am..I like to collect it all! They need to make this right by keeping this item in the game but making it to where we still have to turn in 1,000 skulls or gunpowder's or whatever the other ones were..the only thing that would of made this right for them to do is if they would of told us about this before it happened..that way the people that really wanted this exclusive reward like myself..would of taken the extra time to bust out a LONG TERM GOAL...and that is the sad part..they nerf a LONG TERM GOAL and reward the players that have it done..again..they should of told us this was getting nerfed and all would of been ok..I would of busted out one of the achievements and earned the sails..I hope they make this right because it has honestly upset a lot of people.

• I agree, this has really annoyed me. I have been working on those achievements since launch. Specifically the Villainous and Captains achievements. I was so VERY close to completing it when they nerfed the limit without warning. I have every single item in the game, even all the stuff I had to jump through hoops to get (apart from new locked cosmetics). I emailed their player support regarding and was told by Steelstorm to basically come here and talk to you guys? I dunno. Here is my email:

*Hi there.

I just seen the video where Joe was talking about the over achiever sails. I was grinding this game from launch for those achievements and was trying to keep all them equal instead of grinding just one specific achievement. I had around 800 captains chests/villainous skulls sold and was so very close to getting those achievements. You can see from my stats (SatanicNemesis is my profile name) that I was about 99% away from getting 2 out of the 6 required achievements for the sails.

I choose to try and keep my chests and skulls sold equal to get both achievements at the same time, had I known there was a reward involved I could have just focused solely on chests and had that achievement done weeks ago. I hope there can be some margin for eligibility and this can be taken into considerations.
    As a huge fan, playing from launch, I have made it my goal to get every cosmetic possible in the game. I have bought so many items out side of the game just to get codes. I have everything to date. To know I just missed this by a hair, then it would be such a disappointment. I really hope you can help in some way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    SatanicNemesis*

• Agreed. I too would like the sails. I don't have a 100,000 Gamerscore for nothing.

• Agreed. These achievements were my long term goals, but had I known they were going to reward players I would have made them short term goals. I enjoy the game and play a lot, so there was no need for me to grind them out...

• @shamanmclamie totally agree!! I was 20 powder kegs away from black powder merchant and now I just dont give a rat's tail, if I knew I woulda grinded like crazy and got them all done in time but now I dont even wanna play anymore, I played the same way you did

• @smokintediz @Archangel-Timmy @Lucky-13-X @SatanicNemesis @ShamanMcLamie @p0pc0rnH3MER01D honestly it seems like enough of us are upset that they are going to have to do something about this..in my opinion they just need to keep the sails in the game and when someone does reach the old goal of 1k..they will unlock them..it is only fair to us because they never gave us a fair warning.

• @nathanuserectus agreed, when I saw it was changed to 360 I thought lame, but if they do bring back a hidden. 1k achievement I would be alot more pleased

• @smokintediz Yeah they have to do something...you know they could of prevented this problem..all they had to do was give us a month or so heads up..they could of just said "We are planning on nerfing some of the achievements (list of the achievements) but if you can complete these achievements before this time you will receive exclusive sails!" that is all they had to do..people would of then had time to finish off or grind a bit harder to finish the achievements. I really really hope they make this right..

• @nathanuserectus right! But please not on Twitter! Not everyone has social media or wants to get it.... just a quick notice in the game when you start up would be nice, like what every other game does now

• @smokintediz That would be awesome..they need to have a news area on the character menu screen..that would be cool.

• @nathanuserectus yea cause not everyone is on social media or on the official website or YouTube or anywhere else they put it, but all of us are on the game

• I don't understand why people can't see that these sails they are giving out are just purely a bonus item they decided to do on a whim not a reward that was taken away from you. In the original post it says "A simple solution would be to make the over achiever sails a sort of hidden reward." This is basically what it is except it was just a bonus for people who managed to get one or all of those certain achievements. They are an "exclusive" in game item which means not something everyone can get. This is just a game and these sails are just something to make your ship look different but has no actual affect on game play so people just need to stop acting like they're still in kindergarten and grow up. I know I will get a lot of angry responses but I will not respond to any of them as I am saying my opinion and arguing is a complete waste of time.

• As an overachiever myself I'm glad we're getting some in game recognition, some of us put a lot of work and time into getting these, but I'd definitely be happy for them to be in the game for everyone as and when they caught up

• @cptnspaulding71 I'm not against exclusives, but people should have fair warning and a chance to get them. Which was not at all the case. People go about different ways getting achievements and people prioritize different aspects of gameplay.
    I'm an Item collector. It's my first priority when playing the game. I've been playing since day one. I participated in all the events, bought any limited item that came up in game, bought the controller, hard drive, an artbook and numerous t-shirts, played all the events from Hungering Deep to Shrouded Spoils and bought every exclusive associated. I even bought a Founder Pack code on eBay for too much money(would have played Alpha, but was sick and broke physically and financially at the time). I keep tabs on Twitter(which I hate) and YouTube to keep appraised of what offers are going on. I even own the 8 items they removed from the shops and haven't replaced yet. Had I known they would be handing out an item for accomplishing one of the original achievement goals I would have taken the time to acomplish one. I was pretty close with the Villainous Skulls and Captains Chests.
    I'm not asking they lower the standard people have to work to get them simply make it available to get from here on out by making completion of one of the original achievement goals the requirement for getting the Sails.

• @shamanmclamie I think the point of the 'Over Achiever' sails was not as a reward/target to work for, it is a recognition of sorts that you completed the achievement BEFORE it was lowered.

Unfortunately, you can't always have everything.

• They could make it so that anyone who didn’t complete the originals, but was already higher than the new ones, gets the sails, or like OP said just keep the commendations as hidden ones for the sail, for people who do this.

Though tbh commendations like this being a thing in the first place was a mistake. Grinding to deliver 1000 banana crates is beyond pointless, and dosnt really prove any skill or intelligence, just is a giant time sink.

They need to give us more weapons, tools, ammo types, potions and consumables, ways to customize our ships that arent cosmetic but are balanced for pvp and add pve utility.

I could care less about the cosmetics and i have tested this game for like 800+ hours not counting after launch play or forum time. I dont need some stupid sail for my time and effort, i need a game that legitimately brings me back to play it regularly and is fun and unique each time i do. For a sandbox this game is overly repetitive and while i see why people would be upset about putting time in and not getting this sail, or being told about it at all, if the game was where it should be there would be enough to distract the more dedicated players like us from something like this. When its all there is in the endgame besides pvping for fun... i see the point.

• @a-cranky-eskimo said in Overachiever Sails:

They could make it so that anyone who didn’t complete the originals, but was already higher than the new ones, gets the sails..

Unless I have totally misread/misunderstood that is exactly what the sails are for.

If the achievement was originally for 1000 of X, you 'only' managed 600 by the time the achievement was reduced to 360 (all numbers just for example) then you would qualify for the sails (and need to complete 1 more of X for the achievement)

• @triheadedmonkey i was under the impression from the dev update that it was just people who had fully earned all the achievements, but you are probably right as that would make more sense.

• @cptnspaulding71 must mean they are not against server hopping and cycling voyages in the beginning stages of the game .in fact rewarding them . as those are the only ppl who completed it .. take it from someone who played upwards of 100 hrs a week just completing voyages and staying in the same server for only 1 fort every 3-4 hrs there is no way anyone would have gotten this with regular play in that amount of time

• You have until Dec 14th now.

• @triheadedmonkey said in Overachiever Sails:

@a-cranky-eskimo said in Overachiever Sails:

They could make it so that anyone who didn’t complete the originals, but was already higher than the new ones, gets the sails..

Unless I have totally misread/misunderstood that is exactly what the sails are for.

If the achievement was originally for 1000 of X, you 'only' managed 600 by the time the achievement was reduced to 360 (all numbers just for example) then you would qualify for the sails (and need to complete 1 more of X for the achievement)

If that is the case then I certainly qualify for the Sails.

I'm just happy they're giving people at the very least a week to qualify for the Sails. Any heads up is better than non.

• @shamanmclamie according to the most recent Dev Update video, the cut off is the 14th December, so if you are close, get on it!

• Sorry guys, this my sound a bit thick but I'm guessing that this is for the Xbox achievement and not in-game? I love this game but there is no way I can get all of them by the 14th with the balance work and family :-(

• @cptnspaulding71 I agree with you 100%. If people managed to get those achievements (before the re-balance) without knowing there was a reward, they should be given a special gift. I understand that a good majority want every single item in the game, but I think yelling at Rare because they didn't get the achievement is not appropriate. I like the idea that some people in this game get exclusive items. For example, I don't have the Spinal from Killer Instinct Figurehead that was given at the New York ComiCon 2018. Are people going to complain to Rare that since they had work/didn't have time to go there that they should automatically be given that figurehead? No, they shouldn't.

I like collecting items in games, don't get me wrong. There comes a point where it gets obsessive though. It's okay to not have everything sometimes. I know that is a hard reality to come to, but it's true. Even I don't have all the achievements and I just want to see what those sails look like (easy google search when it comes out). This re balance is going to make those who actually achieved it beforehand feel like their hard work didn't matter. These sails were supposed to be for a very small percentage, not the majority. It was a smart move for Rare to lower it (out of fear of pitchforks, etc.) but I fear that this pandering will defeat the purpose for this reward.

• @dukkyjr Between now and Dec. 14th if you earn any one of those re-balanced achievements you will be eligible for the sails. Joe talks about it around 4mins into the video.

• @scallywagmango said in Overachiever Sails:

@cptnspaulding71 I agree with you 100%. If people managed to get those achievements (before the re-balance) without knowing there was a reward, they should be given a special gift. I understand that a good majority want every single item in the game, but I think yelling at Rare because they didn't get the achievement is not appropriate. I like the idea that some people in this game get exclusive items. For example, I don't have the Spinal from Killer Instinct Figurehead that was given at the New York ComiCon 2018. Are people going to complain to Rare that since they had work/didn't have time to go there that they should automatically be given that figurehead? No, they shouldn't.

I like collecting items in games, don't get me wrong. There comes a point where it gets obsessive though. It's okay to not have everything sometimes. I know that is a hard reality to come to, but it's true. Even I don't have all the achievements and I just want to see what those sails look like (easy google search when it comes out). This re balance is going to make those who actually achieved it beforehand feel like their hard work didn't matter. These sails were supposed to be for a very small percentage, not the majority. It was a smart move for Rare to lower it (out of fear of pitchforks, etc.) but I fear that this pandering will defeat the purpose for this reward.

People are upset here because they took away a long term goal and offered a reward for those who chose to burn through them without any warning.

I will never get the LoL sails, oh well.
    I will never get the Banana sails, oh well.
    I will never get the Streamer sails, oh well.
    I will never get the Pioneer sails, oh well.
    I will never get the Pre-Order items, oh well.
    I will never get the Controller items, oh well.
    I will never the the HDD items, oh well.
    If the Comic Con exclusives weren't timed explusives, then oh well. c

Aside the the rare one-offs (LoL), everything was laid out ahead of time and I made the choice not to particate or wasn't a lucky winner (Banana Sails). Most of the complaints (that I have seen) are from those who have already surpassed the new cut-off a while ago and were on their way to 1,000.

I am seeing new posts pop-up stating they may be coming to those who meet the cut-off before next week, but I am not sure if that is for the old or new. Either way, we have some sort of notice so I am okay if I get them or I don't.

• So Who has the list of Achievements that qualify for this Dec 14th deadline and what were the numbers we needed to hit?
    I'd like to take a look a what I could or shouldn't get excited about, and or perhaps, just maybe, I already qualify.....

• Hey All, seeing some questions around the recent change to how we are going to be awarding the Overachiever sails.

We've heard your feedback that players were frustrated that we didn't communicate our plans for this upfront and allow them to push on and complete the achievements prior to the rebalance. With that in mind we've decided to loosen the criteria for who is eligible for these Overachiever sails and give players a small window now to earn them.

Players that complete ANY of the newly rebalanced achievements in their new unlock criteria by the 14th December will earn the Overachiever sails. (Any player who was close to completing the original unlock criteria will only have to hand in 1 item to tick them over and unlock the achievement).
    For clarity the newly balanced achievements are;

• Black Powder Merchant
    • ⁠Merchant Voyager
    • Merchant Forager
    • ⁠Voyager of Lost Souls
    • ⁠Golden Voyager
    • ⁠Hoarder of Barnacled Gold
    • ⁠Hoarder of the Captain’s Gold
    • Master Hunter of Villainous Skulls

We feel this is the right step to inform players of our plans and give you the opportunity to unlock these unique sails.

• @sprungnickel427

• Black Powder Merchant - 100 Boom Booms delivered on time
    • Merchant Voyager - 250 MA voyages
    • Merchant Forager - 50 Banana Crates delivered on time
    • Voyager of Lost Souls - 250 OoS Voyages
    • Golden Voyager - 250 GH Voyages
    • Hoarder of Barnacled Gold - 300 Shipwrecked Chests
    • Hoarder of the Captain’s Gold - 360 Captains Chests
    • Master Hunter of Villainous Skulls - 360 Villainous Skulls
  • @triheadedmonkey
    That seems to be the post adjustment numbers.... Is that what we need to hit now? Not the 1000+ deals?

• deleted, I can't read apparently, lol.

• @s0nicbob said in Overachiever Sails:

Hey All, seeing some questions around the recent change to how we are going to be awarding the Overachiever sails.

We've heard your feedback that players were frustrated that we didn't communicate our plans for this upfront and allow them to push on and complete the achievements prior to the rebalance. With that in mind we've decided to loosen the criteria for who is eligible for these Overachiever sails and give players a small window now to earn them.

Players that complete ANY of the newly rebalanced achievements in their new unlock criteria by the 14th December will earn the Overachiever sails. (Any player who was close to completing the original unlock criteria will only have to hand in 1 item to tick them over and unlock the achievement).

We feel this is the right step to inform players of our plans and give you the opportunity to unlock these unique sails.

Any! Including foul bounty and disgraced etc...

Publications
Vues
31 sur 105