The Box of Wondrous Secrets

• Just an idea... since this is the the rarest and most valuable Treasure in all of Sea of Thieves, and that cashing it in gives just gold. (No Rep.)

alt text

Could the "Wondrous" idea, be developed into the introduction of other "Wondrous" items.

Maybe introduce a "special" faction in order to achieve rep. for these rare items.
    The idea that the achievement of rep. for this would be slow, and is introduced as part of the "long" game, and not easy to Rep. up.
    Then possibly having ultra rare items of cosmetics that can be unlockable.

thoughts?

Views
  • luck based rep? No thank you

• @piratecraggy Makes sense to me!
    I think there should be a curse laid upon a vessel carrying this though, because at the moment it is so rare to find you would be lucky to ever have a chance if on a super-populated server.

• @vladokapuh

Yes it would be a "Game of chance"... like any other game of chance.
    But you can always limit the odds, by being an observant pirate, and that in itself seems reward worthy, and adds another layer.

• @vladokapuh It already is!

It is luck that decides through an RNG roll how many elements are in your next voyage and how far away they are, it is another RNG roll that decides what chest or skull is found (or what animals or on the next island to collect). It is then a third RNG roll to decide how much gold that then rewards you when you cash in...

We already have luck based rep and gold... this is not a new aspect to the game.

It is also completely random whether or not another vessel will come across you and take all of your loot, or join into an alliance and provide you with even more cash and rep

• @sshteeve

The SoT is full of "Lucky" pirates, in everything we do, very well said!

• @piratecraggy

Although this seems to me to be an interesting idea, finding this box is way too random. Some people have already found two, while others like streamers or those who play more than 6 hours a day have not yet found one. In all honesty if it was possible to get this kind of item through a quest line for the big updates, why not.

At first I thought it rewarded your exploration but not at all, it's just luck. And I'm afraid that after the campaign Grace will no longer be there and it will be impossible to find one box.

• @skulliah

Very true, and I completely agree re. current rarity.
    I do like the quest line suggestion.

Maybe have a different "Wondrous" item per region ( only one per region).
    Therefore still rare but a chance ( only a chance ) to find them somewhere, anywhere on the map?

It's not something everyone will have "luck" with but that naturally is to be expected due to the rarity.

• be nice if it had a achievement attached to it.

• @piratecraggy

As this box is very related to the lore of the game and Jim admits to having his hand on one of them and intends to give it to the Gold Hoarder, I think we will hear more later about this current box.

So, I won't say no to have other "Wondrous" items in other regions because it will introduce more lore in the game :D

If in the end when you've collected them all, it could unlock something like you said: rare cosmetics or why not also a boss fight.

• @skulliah

Perfect... you have it! IMHO
    Works with the expansion of Lore, the collect them all aspect... brilliant!
    As I mentioned, the possible introduction is for the "Long Game", not at all a quick achievement.

• @piratecraggy and it just needs to be not based exclusively on luck :)

• @skulliah

Well okay, I'll could maybe settle for that :)

Just would love something that could spread out over a long time-line... that would see updates come & updates go.
    A gradual quest line that weaves itself in with the lore and something not at all easy.

I do still like the by "chance" aspect in some form, maybe some "chance occurrence/event" that then "triggers" the quest-line for the "Wondrous" items.
    The "trigger" to be already in game for anyone to find, but difficult to find & in a random location.
    Nobody knows what it's... but is rumoured in the lore.

edit:

The Start of the Trigger
    just thinking what the start of the "trigger" could be...
    A solar or lunar eclipse possibly, their location in the sky indicates the direction to find the "trigger".
    Or a shooting star, could also indicate direction.

The Trigger
    My thoughts being that the "trigger" itself is an object (possibly a scroll, or book) linking itself to the "wondrous" items.
    Finding this starts the quest-line, for the first item.

It means that regardless of whether there is a Bilge Rats Adventure or Main Event or not, this quest-line is always in
    game & pops up occasionally over the longer period.
    Discovery of this quest-line is staggered as a result for all players.
    You have to be lucky enough to "chance" upon & "recognise" the "start of the trigger" mechanic.

How the Trigger (Scroll or Book) works
    Imagine "Raiders of the Lost Ark ( the beginning of it )"
    or the "Goonies"
    Lets take the Scroll, the scroll hints at a location to discover a "Wondrous" item.
    Holding up this scroll in the right location causes rock to crumble opening up a tunnel.
    Like "Raiders" & "Goonies" we have b00by-traps inside.
    Gently the Pirate navigates the traps/puzzles to seek the treasure that lays within, & why not...... lets throw a boss-fight into the mix!

• I really like this idea!

This would create a link around the "wondrous" objects, a great opportunity for lore!

• @sshteeve said in The Box of Wondrous Secrets:

@vladokapuh It already is!

It is luck that decides through an RNG roll how many elements are in your next voyage and how far away they are, it is another RNG roll that decides what chest or skull is found (or what animals or on the next island to collect). It is then a third RNG roll to decide how much gold that then rewards you when you cash in...

We already have luck based rep and gold... this is not a new aspect to the game.

It is also completely random whether or not another vessel will come across you and take all of your loot, or join into an alliance and provide you with even more cash and rep

hell no its not. Ammount you get is luck based, but getting the rep at all, is not, since you can always just go and take whatever your voyage leads to.

This, is just nonsense, not adding anything interesting to the game, just a wall of luck. Bad idea.

• @vladokapuh said in The Box of Wondrous Secrets:

@sshteeve said in The Box of Wondrous Secrets:

@vladokapuh It already is!

hell no its not. Ammount you get is luck based, but getting the rep at all, is not, since you can always just go and take whatever your voyage leads to.

This, is just nonsense, not adding anything interesting to the game, just a wall of luck. Bad idea.

Amount of rep is based on the item you hand in - a Castaway Chest is NOT worth the same as a Captain's... what deciding factor is there for what chest you dig up... oh yeah... an RNG roll.

Ergo... rep is as random as anything else in this game.

Views
14 out of 16