Appreciate Developer Transparency

• At the risk of being a Rare Ltd. cheerleader (which my recent forum ban would certainly decry), I must say "brilliant" to the transparency by Joe Neate in the latest developer video update:

Appreciated much was the discussion about the organization of the teams at Rare Ltd., and how those teams plan to develop and roll all the future game updates.

Views
  • @drayman86 Couldn't agree more. There is a large outcry of hate in this forum so I'm glad to see another gamer appreciating Rare for trying so hard to do what is best for us. I have never seen a company be this transparent and reactive to their community. It's a breath of fresh air in what is becoming a more stagnant and cold society of games that are "All about the money".

• @tw-dizzy said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

I have never seen a company be this transparent and reactive to their community. It's a breath of fresh air......

That's where I'm ignorant.

SOT is my first "new launch" game, so my at times misplaced criticisms have stemmed from issues that I now learn are pretty typical for a new game.

I'm quickly learning that Rare Ltd's. response to feedback is something, well.....rare.

As is the developer video updates. After all, they're revealing upcoming stuff in a very, very competitive market.

• @drayman86 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@tw-dizzy said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

I have never seen a company be this transparent and reactive to their community. It's a breath of fresh air......

SOT is my first "new launch" game, so my at times misplaced criticisms have stemmed from issues that I now learn are pretty typical for a new game.

I'm quickly learning that Rare Ltd's. response to feedback is something, well.....rare.

As is the developer video updates. After all, they're revealing upcoming stuff in a very, very competitive market.

I've been playing games for over two decades now. I played WoW, Gears, Halo, Diablo..... been through Bungie, Blizzard, Epic, Ubisoft, EA. All devs and producers you can imagine. Been through the competitive scene in MLG and played casual indie games (some of my favorites to be honest) I watched as Blizzard bounced back and forth between helping and hurting WoW. Was in the front row of Bungie driving Destiny into the ground. I've seen devs do everything from up to down. But Rare is honestly the first group to ever rework content plans based on forum votes. They spend time to make videos to tell us exactly what they want, and ask us what we want too. This company has won my heart. The issues with SoT are pretty normal for a game like this. They do (Honestly) lack content now, but the game is growing at an immense rate and the effort of Rare more than makes up for a couple of months of repetition and grinding. Anyone complaining about being repetitive now obviously didn't grind to 60 in nilla WoW or play Final Fantasy 11 Online.... Just sayin.

• @tw-dizzy said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@drayman86 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@tw-dizzy said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

I've been playing games for over two decades now. I played WoW, Gears, Halo, Diablo..... been through Bungie, Blizzard, Epic, Ubisoft, EA. All devs and producers you can imagine. Been through the competitive scene in MLG and played casual indie games (some of my favorites to be honest) I watched as Blizzard bounced back and forth between helping and hurting WoW. Was in the front row of Bungie driving Destiny into the ground. I've seen devs do everything from up to down. But Rare is honestly the first group to ever rework content plans based on forum votes. They spend time to make videos to tell us exactly what they want, and ask us what we want too. This company has won my heart. The issues with SoT are pretty normal for a game like this. They do (Honestly) lack content now, but the game is growing at an immense rate and the effort of Rare more than makes up for a couple of months of repetition and grinding. Anyone complaining about being repetitive now obviously didn't grind to 60 in nilla WoW or play Final Fantasy 11 Online.... Just sayin.

I will say, I have worked for two of those companies that you listed, and both have reworked post-launch plans to accommodate player feedback in at least one point in my career. That being said, they weren't nearly as communicative about it. And I think that makes all the difference in the world. It's surprising the restrictions placed on communications due to legal and stakeholder issues.

• @drayman86 I think they HAVE to do this kind of stuff to keep people around. See link below about people not playing. Rare under performed with the games content and overall creativity (see anything Rare made on the N64) to me it's missing the Rare magic that it had in the 90's early 2000. I see videos like this as a "please don't leave, see we talk to you about stuff"

• @drunkpunk138 Would you mind if I asked what role you had, like what profession (developer, tester, designer, advertising, etc)? I am a software developer hoping to get into the game industry as a developer. Do you have any tips for someone trying to get in, fresh out of college?

• @tw-dizzy Jagex is also doing good work on Old School Runescape. You know... after basically decimating their player base with Runescape 3.

They have live streams where they take suggestions and poll them and all game updates have to pass in-game polls by their pay-to-play players.

• He always looks like he's about to start crying to me for some reason, lol.

• @stubbierbell598 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@drayman86 I think they HAVE to do this kind of stuff to keep people around. See link below about people not playing. Rare under performed with the games content and overall creativity (see anything Rare made on the N64) to me it's missing the Rare magic that it had in the 90's early 2000. I see videos like this as a "please don't leave, see we talk to you about stuff"

Good riddance to everyone who left when their free trials expired. Hopefully they've all gone back to Fortnite, and will let Sea of Thieves develop as was intended.

• The transparency is nice, but the "hurry up and wait" message hasn't changed. It's odd to me that I have to wait until 3-4 months after launch to see if the game has enough content to warrant a purchase.
    The thing that concerns me really is that they're churning through players that won't be interested in taking a second look. So if/when the game is more impressive and more worthy of a second look in 6 months or a year, people just won't bother. I kind of did this with No Man's Sky. I wouldn't care one way or another except that its online only and player support is important.

• @blam320 That vision already hit the cold hard wall of reality.

SoT really shot themselves in the foot with their hype and advertising. They got people through the door, but there was literally nothing to see once they were in.

I'm glad you like the game, but this launch was a disaster that does not bode well for longevity.

I can't put all the blame on Rare honestly. They're as much a victim of Microsoft as the people who got ripped off with this title.

@drayman86 I think they HAVE to do this kind of stuff to keep people around. See link below about people not playing. Rare under performed with the games content and overall creativity (see anything Rare made on the N64) to me it's missing the Rare magic that it had in the 90's early 2000. I see videos like this as a "please don't leave, see we talk to you about stuff"

They didn't have to do this, if you had followed from the begining you would know that this it what they have planned. They have stated many times that they will be reactive to the players wants and needs. As for people not renewing the pass, a lot of those players have come back because the xbox pass is on offer £1 for a month access, not everyone can or wants to pay subscriptions. Ask Amazon how many people sign up for prime for the 2 weeks free trial then cancels, or are Amazon a failing company that should start begging us not to leave? If you don't like the game, don't play it and stop spamming the forum. If you want to help the game grow be constructive and tell them what you would like to see.

• @mrgrim67686 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@blam320 That vision already hit the cold hard wall of reality.

SoT really shot themselves in the foot with their hype and advertising. They got people through the door, but there was literally nothing to see once they were in.

I'm glad you like the game, but this launch was a disaster that does not bode well for longevity.

I can't put all the blame on Rare honestly. They're as much a victim of Microsoft as the people who got ripped off with this title.

Quit your forum-lurking and do something more useful. It's gotten to the point that I'm flagging nearly every single one of your posts, purely because of how unnecessarily negative you are, and how detrimental people like you are to a game's community.

If all you're going to do is be so pessimistic, I highly recommend you jump ship with everyone else who shared your opinion.

• So far, I have enjoyed the game thoroughly. yeah, there have been a few hiccups here and there, but for the most part this game has quickly become one of my favorite games to play. I think Rare has done a great job and can't wait to see what they have in store for us with The Hungering Deep.

• @genral-disaray said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@stubbierbell598 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

They didn't have to do this, if you had followed from the begining you would know that this it what they have planned. They have stated many times that they will be reactive to the players wants and needs. As for people not renewing the pass, a lot of those players have come back because the xbox pass is on offer £1 for a month access, not everyone can or wants to pay subscriptions. Ask Amazon how many people sign up for prime for the 2 weeks free trial then cancels, or are Amazon a failing company that should start begging us not to leave? If you don't like the game, don't play it and stop spamming the forum. If you want to help the game grow be constructive and tell them what you would like to see.

Hey matey. My post was to respond to the OP with what I thought to be the case. The article (which you clearly did not read) was to add to the discussion. Sorry I don't love Rare as much as you but your the one spamming. You added nothing to this thread. In fact you lowered the intelligence of if.. To say Rare planned to lose half of it's fanbase is... not very smart ;)

@genral-disaray said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

Hey matey. My post was to respond to the OP with what I thought to be the case. The article (which you clearly did not read) was to add to the discussion. Sorry I don't love Rare as much as you but your the one spamming. You added nothing to this thread. In fact you lowered the intelligence of if.. To say Rare planned to lose half of it's fanbase is... not very smart ;)

To call the people that just wanted to try the game for 14 days and then left again "the fanbase" also doesn't give you any smart points mate :)

To keep it ontopic though, I agree that the amount of communication that Rare has shown is amazing. I remember a lot of other games where the only communication was about the next expansion you could spend money on.

I truly hope that once The Hungering Deep releases people will see what these content updates will bring to the game, or not. I think that would at least show the direction Rare wants to take this game and will probably lower the amount of complaint posts on the forum... either because people are happy with it or it's not to their liking and left.

• @blam320 Pretending there isn't a problem won't fix the problems that exist. Following me around and wasting the mods' time won't fix them either. I have had some faint praise for this game.

While I believe the combat needs refinement, I feel Rare did an excellent job of achieving near parity in cross platform play. Which is a huge feat for anyone. See? I can hand out attaboys when they're legitimately earned.

...but they absolutely overhyped and underdelivered. I do hope they can pull out of that and I hope they can remain straightforward and avoid vague political speak/legalese in the future.

We'll see.

• @fishst1ck said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@genral-disaray said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

To call the people that just wanted to try the game for 14 days and then left again "the fanbase" also doesn't give you any smart points mate :)

To keep it ontopic though, I agree that the amount of communication that Rare has shown is amazing. I remember a lot of other games where the only communication was about the next expansion you could spend money on.

I truly hope that once The Hungering Deep releases people will see what these content updates will bring to the game, or not. I think that would at least show the direction Rare wants to take this game and will probably lower the amount of complaint posts on the forum... either because people are happy with it or it's not to their liking and left.

@fishst1ck 14
    "days and then left again"

Aye and your word choice be spot on too matey! No smart points for anyone today

• @mrgrim67686 said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

Now that Rainbow Six Siege has proven games that are continuously supported after launch that provide DLC that you do not have to pay for can truly evolve over time and end up as masterpieces.

I believe RB6S and SoT can both follow similar paths.

The next year will decide Sea of Thieves fate. It has not been decided yet for all. Maybe you, but not for all. Game is only going to improve.

• @StubbierBell598 brilliant...

• @xcalypt0x said in Appreciate Developer Transparency:

@drunkpunk138 Would you mind if I asked what role you had, like what profession (developer, tester, designer, advertising, etc)? I am a software developer hoping to get into the game industry as a developer. Do you have any tips for someone trying to get in, fresh out of college?

Sorry I didn't catch this, I seem to miss a lot of responses since I mostly frequent this thing at work.

I worked a lot of different roles over my years with those companies. I initially started as a game master, just basic support for WoW. Within 2 months I was promoted and started working with terms of service enforcement (in relation to things like bots, powerleveling, account sales, cheating, that sort of thing). I have a very analytical mind, so from there I've done all sorts of things, ranging from anti cheat (identifying ways to identify certain activities, working with and reporting to the legal team) to perception and market analysis. i tried community management for a short while, but it is far too soul sucking dealing with an abrasive and bitter community every single day.

I recommend getting your foot in the door where you can, even if it's bottom level support. Companies really like to hire from within, and will give hard working people with the right knowledge a chance more often than you'd think. People I started with as game masters are now lead producers or lead designers for some of the biggest names in the industry, everyone starts somewhere. Don't ever stop learning, even if you're out of school and employed, as the industry and the technology that goes with it is always evolving. Find a company you have a lot of passion for, because they'll see that passion and help you direct it into something positive.

• @drunkpunk138 Thanks! :)

• These videos are getting better in quality. ^^

• I’m sorry ... but until Rare acknowledge and try to fix game altering issues like useful object render distance I couldn’t give two hoots about content updates.

These posts by him just make me want to kick something.

I’m a fan. I’ve defended this game on numerous occasions but like many my patience has worn wafer thin ...

Views
6 out of 25