I Find This Very Sad

• "Would you like to test our game for free in its unfinished stat?" -Well heck yea!
    "And then would you like to complain about how the game you're testing for free isn't finished?" -Of course! Until my lungs give out!"
    "And complain about how you don't enjoy it?" - Every minute!

......Great! Guess what? You aren't obligated to buy it! If you tested it for free in alpha and are one of few people who can't just have fun with friends and make memories, you can just....not. buy. it. And if you pre-ordered, get a refund, or cancel if you haven't been charged yet.

I trust rare will provide me with endless entertainment, especially since a lot of the people I know from the alpha have put hundreds of hours in this game in the state its in now. And they have teased us about a lot more content. But no one is forcing you to play. Be grateful that you got a free preview of the game and a chance to decide whether or not you like it before buying it. More than a lot of game developers do now-a-days, where you have to purchase a game outright and find out AFTER that it was a waste of your time. coughEAcough

• Simply put, having followed for a long while now.....

Rare hasn't given us anything that "sells" the game, nothing.

To date Sea of Thieves has proven to be an incredible tech demo for water effects, but, even as stunning as they are, it won't keep people playing the game. We have no data on other guilds, progression, reason for progression. Is there going to be a player economy, player housing, guild mechanics, and other modernized game mechanics?

That is what the veteran followers have been wanting to know for a long time. What will we be doing in SoT?

So far it has been "Awesome stuff, just pre-order!".

• The most interesting thing I've read so far is "This game was designed for streamers to make more money" lol

• Well the devs did warn us that there would be less content than the alpha. They want to keep the majority for the final release.

• @carcinogenetxc considering how the servers acted the last two days i would say no, but hey we just disagree on this. I really hope they continue to add to the game such as Gta online once released, because it reminds me on that open sandbox but without the terrible game lobbies for missions. Hope the game lives up to your expectations as well. We will find out soon enough.

• @suave-beard said in I Find This Very Sad:

To date Sea of Thieves has proven to be an incredible tech demo for water effects, but, even as stunning as they are, it won't keep people playing the game. We have no data on other guilds, progression, reason for progression. Is there going to be a player economy, player housing, guild mechanics, and other modernized game mechanics?

There is no player economy, player housing, or guild mechanics.

This isn't an MMO.

• @slipkick01 I've found that this game personifies us as the individuals we are. If you're creative you'll enjoy the seemingly endless predicaments you get yourself and your crew into. How you interact with other players determines the "fun factor" of this game. For Instance, last night we ran into a new player on the beach. As we raided his ship for cannonballs our Captain made peace with him while I circled him with an empty blunderbuss clicking it while saying "just say the word Cap and I'll do him"! Everyone was laughing at the scenario, even our new found friend. As a crew, we conceive and attempt to prove new tactics everyday in hopes of becoming better pirates. The TNT aspect alone has kept us extremely busy this week (more ways to use this stuff than you can imagine but I won't reveal club tactics). So in a nutshell I feel if you're a person who needs to be given directions in life then to you this game will be lacking right now but if you're creative you realize there are endless adventures on the horizon everytime you load this game up. "Parrotheads" 125 strong and having a blast! "Be more Parrot"!!!

• @the-lion-turtle said in I Find This Very Sad:

@suave-beard said in I Find This Very Sad:

This isn't an MMO.

"This isn't an MMO"....

Yes, yes it is. It is a massively multiplayer online video game, what kind of MMO can be debated. Although, since the entire premise seems to role play as a Pirate Legend, this would be an MMORPG. A Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

"This chocolate isn't chocolate!"

I digress,

The point that was being made is that other than the previously mentioned water, we have nothing else to indicate what we are doing in the game. Sail in a circle playing digging simulator on simple fetch quests?

• @xdilligafx1974 said in I Find This Very Sad:

@carcinogenetxc

After hearing / reading this sentiment more than a few times on here, I guess I'm going to be the one to speak out for the other side of this.

For the last several years, there has been a serious shift in what a "Beta" has become. A Beta used to be another form of testing used by a company to further their grasp on what is working and what still needs more work. Unfortunately, this has slowly shifted from that form to a much more polished Demo that's been used to showcase the best of the game in order to help sell / market the game just before it's release.

With Sea of Thieves, Rare is going with the more traditional "Beta" in this instance and not the more modern "Demo." Personally, I think it's a sound decision even though there's more than a few modern players who have a slightly different mindset.

On a related note, Rare has stated several times this is going to be a game as a service which means there will be a steady stream of content, even after release. Which might explain why certain features are not in the current build and why the Pioneer Program isn't being disbanded anytime soon... They're needed to test and give feedback on (currently) not-yet implemented features and systems that are being designed for future releases.

Hopefully, this can explain why this week what you're playing is not a fully developed game and is, in fact, an actual Beta.

alt text

No, I think that's what game developers tell us when their game's content and motives behind betas are questioned (IE: the NMS excuse rhetoric).

Unfortunately for Rare, much of their player base, and gamers in general aren't idiots. Manipulating a definition to suit your needs as a developer, so you aren't looked at as a false prophet bearing fallacies, doesn't change the legitimate definition of what a beta for an upcoming game is or should be.

This is a tech demo. We have been equipped with a wide variety of gear and clothing we did not have to purchase (one could assume this is to place new players ahead of the learning curve so they don't feel lost) while content has been tailored down and hidden behind a wall so we can't experience the game in full... or half...

The game as it stands, combined with the content from the alpha (NDA no longer applicable) doesn't appear to hold nearly enough content to satiate your casual player audience. So while the claim is to "stress test servers", you're not even going to need to bolster them for a massive wave of players, as I'm seeing a lot of the same sentiment the OP expressed here, expressed elsewhere. Hell, half the twitch streamers holding the major positions on the site said "This game has potential, but it's missing a lot..." With 60k+ people watching someone who is likely a major influence on their game purchases, that alone should tell Rare that they made a huge mistake in not showing a stronger hand. For many, this is their first glimpse of SoT, and it's not looking good.

• @suave-beard said in I Find This Very Sad:

@the-lion-turtle said in I Find This Very Sad:

This isn't an MMO.

"This isn't an MMO"....

Yes, yes it is. It is a massively multiplayer online video game, what kind of MMO can be debated. Although, since the entire premise seems to role play as a Pirate Legend, this would be an MMORPG. A Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

I digress,

The point that was being made is that other than the previously mentioned water, we have nothing else to indicate what we are doing in the game. Sail in a circle playing digging simulator on simple fetch quests?

I guess any other multiplayer game in existence is considered an MMO then. I can play with anywhere from 4 to 16 people on Halo games. Guess that's an MMO too. Oh and PUBG is 100 players. That's even more players than Sea of Thieves so I guess PUBG is definitely an MMO.

4 or 5 boats in a server is not an MMO.

@the-lion-turtle said in I Find This Very Sad:

This isn't an MMO.

"This isn't an MMO"....

I digress,

I guess any other multiplayer game in existence is considered an MMO then. I can play with anywhere from 4 to 16 people on Halo games. Guess that's an MMO too. Oh and PUBG is 100 players. That's even more players than Sea of Thieves so I guess PUBG is definitely an MMO.

4 or 5 boats in a server is not an MMO.

Incorrect. Your (pretentious and sarcastic) assumption is that an MMO is any online multiplayer game. The first "M" in "MMO" is "MASSIVE" as in large... open world. Not arena based play. If Halo was a huge open world where you and your squad were supposed to venture to points of interest, and not just get cutscene'd to an arena with fancy scenery, then that would be different, but it's not. Casual multiplayer games where you're entering an arena or a small area/map to achieve a set purpose or goal in a linear fashion are not MMOs by definition.

• @face-0-o Pretty sure that's not what Massively means in MMO.

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27054/massively-multiplayer-online-game-mmog

• @the-lion-turtle if you want to make the fanboys happy you can call it a Open-World Multiplayer Adventure Game, that's what I've learned hushes them up. Rare doesn't like the MMO tag, they've expressed this. However their game does follow some of the same rules as your standard MMO. So whether they like it or not, its the kind of audience they're going to gain regardless, and that audience has come to expect certain unalienable pieces of content that Sea of Thieves is clearly missing right now.

• @ethnine Then people are, heavily misguided.

If anyone has played an actual MMO a day in their life they would instantly see that Sea of Thieves is in no way an MMO.

I would peg it as an Open World Adventure Game (with multiplayer). But seeing as how it lacks nearly everything that makes an MMO an MMO, right down to the the Massively Multiplayer part, I'm gonna say it is in no way, shape, or form an MMO.

• @the-lion-turtle They are clearly targeting the same audience though. Regardless, I have decided that we will see in 2-months what happens. I expect it to be a train wreck, but hope its not :).

@face-0-o Pretty sure that's not what Massively means in MMO.

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27054/massively-multiplayer-online-game-mmog

You're forgetting that MMO is the shortened acronym of MMORPG. Of course most games have you assume a role of some sort, so that's a moot point. Nevertheless, halo is not a massively open game, so it was a poor example.

• @hans42 And hopefully it turns out well, because they need to add at LEAST 3 more ships per server. You could go hours without seeing 1 ship.

• I would say this game is not a MMO but it shares the same exact feature as a game called "Absolver" you can run into players who can either help or hinder you, not sure what you'd define these games as since they are always online ..maybe a IMOG(Instance Multiplayer Online Game)

• Sea of Thieves is basically the same thing as Elite: Dangerous in so many ways. The game is quite obviously an MMO-lite (Destiny/Division) combined with a light form of pirate simulation/survival. Well over 80% of the community seems to see it as such, and expect a comparable amount of content and/or depth as games like subnautica, Elite, Minecraft, ARK, etc.

• Removing parts of the game or not, I'm still having a great time :D

• I find it fascinating that people actually find time to complain how someone elses creative works arent what they want it to be. Good for you? Did you pay for its developement? No. Did you come up with the creative ideas for the game? No. Design elements? No. Concept art? No.

If you dont like it, be glad you found that out now, yeah? I'm going to play the game and have the blast I've been having with my awesome crewmates and have endless hours of fun, as I've had right along since the alpha. I do realize not everyone is happy playing in the same kind of setting, and thats fine. But dont try to force change just because you have problems with it. Thousands of people have had absolute blasts playing this game without an issue and cant wait for more.

(A lot of people in these forums sound like whiny entitled brats. Seriously, are you guys 12? Get over yourselves. )

• Let's stop arguing about what a beta used to be in the past/ is as defined by other companies/ should be if we were designing content- we got the beta that Rare wanted us to have!
    We got to do some digging quests because that was what was already implemented in the Alpha and could be enjoyed by a whole ton of new players signing on for free to 'try out' this new pirate game.
    Adding Order of Souls quests would mean Rare would have to populate all of the forts with armies of skellies, plus anywhere else that they plan to stick them, so we can go and collect skulls- for 5 days of beta! It wouldn't be worth the effort...
    Same with the Merchant Alliance- add chickens, pigs, snakes, & whatever else- to every single island- for 5 days of beta...
    Rare made the decision to go narrow for the beta and focus on chest digging to keep things simple, I believe. That was their choice, and we got the whole range of feelings from the community about that...
    But, we will get a whole lot more on release. How much, and how that suits everybody, will have to be seen...

• @xdilligafx1974

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but we were promised to have a lot of stuff At launch, which we currently don’t have. Ship customization, a mere 2 months before release, still hasn’t been implemented. It’s worrying, as I’m afraid that Rare might have bit off more than it can chew. With No Man’s Sky, the lack of transparency really screwed it over, as they were able to lie about many, if not all topics. I am not saying Rare is, I promise. I love Rare, the community, and their employees. But #SeaofTease should end, for the peace of mind for those of us who are worried. I, like you, have been following this game for a long time. A lot that was promised is not here. It may be in the in house build, but shouldn’t they test that stuff? Shouldn’t the playerbase test that stuff? I am worried for the future of Sea of Thieves.

• I want it all I want it now. Now now now. Geez you sound like my 3 year old

Views
40 out of 59