Event Achievements with Alliances are awful

• Just a small thing I want to let go after the last couple of timed achievements.

For real, finding someone to do an alliance with is the greates s*** I have ever done in this game (not even the gifting people last christmas was this awful). It's like wasting your time asking everyone you can find only because you can't join your friends on the same server.
    And no server hopping ain't the real answer to this problem, better achievements are.
    Regards Simodon

Views
  • Do I like alliances? not really
    Do I wanna do stuff requiring alliances? not really

But when everyone has the same requirement it creates a scenario where a lot of people are willing to work together for a common goal. It's not really that hard to get done when everyone is looking to do the same thing during a event that is set up like this one is

I don't mind it from time to time, a lot of positive and fun interactions come out of it for people

• @wolfmanbush
    Well I have a feeling most folks just don't even know them, not even after the ingame UI implementation, which is a problem as well since it's capsuled pretty deep.

• Nobody likes them but they still ad them to se "how it goes" on the seas. :P

• @reapinglegion said in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

Nobody likes them but they still ad them to se "how it goes" on the seas. :P

encouraging interactions isn't a bad thing overall. What makes a game like this last other than freedom and adventure is community. People make new friends they make new enemies they have a good time at a fun event like FOTD.

People criticize the last couple updates but in my view raising FOTD from the dead and creating an environment for all these alliances and all these battles has created more fun than usual. It's more fun for PVE and PVP.

Whether it be friendly encounters or competitive smack talk extravaganzas it's fun action.

A couple weeks to pull off 1 successful alliance during a time where FOTD is happening all over the place isn't a big deal even for solo sloopers

• I agree to an extent but it's not impossible. I ended up collecting all the flames myself from the flames of fate voyages, I soloed the Fort of the Damned and I got it down to Graymarrow... and waited... a couple of new players who didn't really understand the event, or alliances, sank my ship (they were also in party chat so couldn't hear me!).

After sailing their ship away and retrieving my own, I came back to find a very helpful Galleon parked up with the newbie sloop. We managed to finally show the newbies how to join an alliance, I let one of the Galleon crew join my ship (to prevent a betrayal, it was the best option and they seemed chill anyway), and together we all completed the Fort, twice.

The newbie sloop, again apparently not really clued in, left the alliance after without any loot and just sailed off. At least they got their Alliance event goals done.

Moral of the story, just keep trying and you'll eventually get it. I've completed the event but when I see a FOTD, I sail by to see if there happens to be a ship with an offer alliance flag up, just in case they need help with getting it. You've got plenty of time, so don't lose hope. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar", so just be cool with people and it might pay off.

• @wolfmanbush said in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

But when everyone has the same requirement it creates a scenario where a lot of people are willing to work together for a common goal. It's not really that hard to get done when everyone is looking to do the same thing during a event that is set up like this one is

The problem is the diminishing returns as the event goes on. The first day or two are much easier to find someone to cooperate compared to the tail end of the event.

These kinds of tasks don't provide any long lasting incentive to keep doing them, people just do them right away to get them done and then forget about it. The pool of participants gets quite low towards the end which makes it tough to get done if you're late to the party.

• It must be all the server I am on than, I solo that stuff as well easily but I defended the fort for nearly an hour at the last boss phase and everyone that came over just wanted to sink me. An alliance forming seems to me rather rare and it's not like I'm a new player. Maybe it's the a language barrier as well since most don't seem to speak english either, most often they speak french.
    I also haven't seen anyone do a FOTD in weeks when I have time to play. Can't commit a full week pursuing something that frustrating with work and everything on the side.

Like I said it's a frustration post because at the end of the day, it wasn't a fun experience for someone who likes achievements and hates these unnecessary things.

• @simodon said in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

Maybe it's the a language barrier as well since most don't seem to speak english either, most often they speak french.

Yep, I get that, I'm on EU servers so run into that language barrier a lot. Combined with players in party chat who are equally as hard to communicate with, it's quite frustrating sometimes.

• @d3adst1ck

A majority of people that do FOTD are pvers they aren't the tuckers and many aren't pvpers.

A person is going to have a good chance of success by making it clear that they are only there to complete the event and that they don't want trouble (and then don't act weird and trigger more of people's paranoia"

It's in many people's best interest to limit risk and combat while finishing their FOTD

They are better off taking the risk of an alliance going bad than having to deal with pvp and not knowing where people are during the event. Most of them are aware of this

People that need the event done just need to be friendly and considerate of space. Don't crowd them don't act fishy just get what a person needs and leave

Communication is key. Make things clear be polite and keep in communication. People are far less likely to be unpleasant to pleasant people

• @wolfmanbush I do not critize the updates in general but what i do (as im not an alliancer myself) is to critize the whole "alliance commendation/event" thingys simply because i and many others dosen't like them.

• The forced "do these with other crews" comms have been getting annoying a year ago.. we're well passed annoying with them now lol

• @simodon especially in the first weekend of any event, almost everybody wants to do that stuff...it's not hard at all to find someone...
    I never use this, but maybe helps for you: start game, search for other crews and ask if they want to do the event stuff...if you don't find anyone within half an hour, change server and search again...I don't believe you won't find anyone that way

• @schwammlgott
    Well if it would be fun to sail around looking for people to do something that ez as a FOTD and I would have enough time on my hands sure. But should something like that require an entire sunday, which is sadly my only free day a week? I don't think so.
    It would be better if it was handled differently, like changing the achievement to something more reasonable: "Do a FOTD with a raised peace flag" or something which shows you are willing to do an alliance but not being forced into having one.
    You don't want to know how "fun" it was last year to find a crew to turn in your gifts at reapers.
    Of course I would find one eventually, but when? Soon? In 6 hours? 10? That comes down to luck sadly.

• @simodon sagte in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

@schwammlgott
    Well if it would be fun to sail around looking for people to do something that ez as a FOTD and I would have enough time on my hands sure. But should something like that require an entire sunday, which is sadly my only free day a week? I don't think so.
    It would be better if it was handled differently, like changing the achievement to something more reasonable: "Do a FOTD with a raised peace flag" or something which shows you are willing to do an alliance but not being forced into having one.
    You don't want to know how "fun" it was last year to find a crew to turn in your gifts at reapers.
    Of course I would find one eventually, but when? Soon? In 6 hours? 10? That comes down to luck sadly.

I know how easy it was last year with the gifts...since then I use the title "giftgiver", that's the one you got, when you finished everything...

I don't know how you people have so much trouble doing this...just do the other tasks and ask every ship, that's in your way...
    Last years gift event I finished 1-2 voyages...brought them to the reapers hideout, placed them on the table and went on to more voyages, almost every "given" gift I got that way...

• You said it yourself, it needs to be done by the first weekend. And I would say at the latest. When an event goes on for a month, its annoying you have to jump on within hours of the start to have any chance.
    I didnt do that with the gifts, left loads over the period, failed spectacularly. Of course it was down to the fact im not going to wait on a server for hours and hours on the off chance.

• I just hate time challenges that required other crews to complete, the Summer challenges were awful in the arena and in adventure.

I agree on this one, just stop asking us to sit on thrones or the worst was the hottub in the arena.
    Last year with the gifts was a disaster, chasing crews just to give them gifts was a CHORE.
    Findind out that your server is empty after getting gifts was a nightmare, finished all the commendation but i wasted more time then i should have on this so Rare please enough with this, it dosent always work as you thought.

• @scoobywrx555 sagte in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

You said it yourself, it needs to be done by the first weekend. And I would say at the latest. When an event goes on for a month, its annoying you have to jump on within hours of the start to have any chance.
    I didnt do that with the gifts, left loads over the period, failed spectacularly. Of course it was down to the fact im not going to wait on a server for hours and hours on the off chance.

Not needed to do in the first weekend, but in my experience it's the best time for it...
    Many made the mistake last year, that they sold first all required ones and then tried to give them to others...as I said, I first delivered some to the table at reapers hideout, finished more voyages and sailed back, if they were still there I sold them myself....sometimes I met people and told them I've put gifts there...worked also sometimes...

I love those alliance required tasks, because most people are so much friendlier that time...
    Hope we get more of those

• @faceyourdemon sagte in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

I just hate time challenges that required other crews to complete, the Summer challenges were awful in the arena and in adventure.

I agree on this one, just stop asking us to sit on thrones or the worst was the hottub in the arena.
    Last year with the gifts was a disaster, chasing crews just to give them gifts was a CHORE.
    Findind out that your server is empty after getting gifts was a nightmare, finished all the commendation but i wasted more time then i should have on this so Rare please enough with this, it dosent always work as you thought.

Why didn't you just leave the gifts on the reapers table? This whole event was super easy...I never took the gifts to other crews, just placed them at reapers hideout and moved on...when I came back and they were still there I sold them myself...

• @schwammlgott I did, many times but it didnt worked for hours so i had to resort to "SELL THESE GIFTS OR DIE!"

• @faceyourdemon I had that too sometimes, but mostly it worked fine...

• @faceyourdemon said in Event Achievements with Alliances are awful:

@schwammlgott I did, many times but it didnt worked for hours so i had to resort to "SELL THESE GIFTS OR DIE!"

Haha this was me exactly!

• @Schwammlgott

I know how easy it was last year with the gifts...since then I use the title "giftgiver", that's the one you got, when you finished everything...

I don't know how you people have so much trouble doing this...just do the other tasks and ask every ship, that's in your way...
    Last years gift event I finished 1-2 voyages...brought them to the reapers hideout, placed them on the table and went on to more voyages, almost every "given" gift I got that way...

I never said easy I said "fun" and these quotes are there because it wasn't, we sailed around for hours on multiple days to find someone willing enough to turn in our gifts and like some people said even at gun point, that means we collected these multiple times without any payoff.
    There is no reason to tell me the name of the title because I got it myself, but at an extreme time cost and here lies my problem. SoT is time consuming, like any live service, but it should also be rewarding at the same time not discouraging and for that you need to think about all the players and problems that could arise.
    I'm happy for you that you are finding people that easily, but like I said it often comes down to luck.

Examples for how you could do these challenges more appealing to everyone or overall improvements:

• more achievements counting towards the endgoal where you can choose which ones to persue to get the final reward
    • simplifying achievements: "be in an alliance" becomes "raise a heart flag" (to show your willingness to do it as an alliance)
    • better visibility to events so more people can see and navigate them easily for more participation (though the new UI implementation is a plus it could be done better)
    • maybe better tutorial or something on the topic "alliances", since I must have teached more than a dozen folks how to even raise a flag or even join an alliance

While I can understand that some wear these things as participation badges and are proud of those acomplishments, for me it was the same at first, but with time it gets more and more frustrating, the whole reason for this post, as I have stated a couple of times.

So I don't want any beef with anyone or any sympathy either I just wanted to get rid of my frustration since I like the game but not every part of it.

• @simodon who likes every part of every game? There will be always things some will like and maybe others don't...

Since when is a grind always fun?
    Depends also on the situations...the tasks weren't fun, but while doing them I had some really fun interactions with some people...

Anyway...I'm against your idea to just raise the alliance offer flag to get the tasks done, makes the game easier than it already is

• I posted a message on Twitter to the same effect then server hoped by using the Open Crew thing. I connected with one guy on a Sloop and we converted the entire server to an Alliance and completed the FOTD twice and would have done it again if all teams had time.

I do think it was a poorly ended achievement though.

1 million Gold for the costume set and making it hard and time consuming to get an alliance together was disappointing.

To HAVE to do the three challenges again after doing them already was a complete waste of time from completing them previously.

The cost and requirements should have been laid out at the start so people could see what they were in for.

• @schwammlgott
    It was one of the ideas, and I know that you have no problem with it like you said already and thats fine and I'm happy for you. But if there are more people who are just annoyed or frustrated with these things it is a good thing to point them out. Just like you point out that they are fine and me who is think they are not, both are valid criticisms.
    Grind can be fun, it depends on the implementation and personal preference, if grind would never be fun than games like diablo, destiny, wow etc. would not exsist.

@YoureNowOnTV
    Well at least you got it done so congrats to that, I'll try one last time on sunday and see how it goes. :D

Views
19 out of 26