Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!

• @chris5626 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@kush-n-bacon420 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@iwin2ez You will be able to use your same Xbox/Microsoft account once you have the game purchased in steam, but you will need to purchase it in steam before you can use it that way.

Are you a Rare employee? Have you played the upcoming Steam version and that's why you can confirm this yourself? Or is this just speculation stated as fact?

If this is official information, then why are you allowed to talk about it but no actual Rare employee will address it? Are there even community managers working at Rare anymore? I for one will be pretty irritated if I have to repurchase the game on Steam to play it there.

@musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

if you would like to use Steam storefront to purchase the game you will have to repurchase the game there.

You will be able to use your same Xbox/Microsoft account once you have the game purchased in steam, but you will need to purchase it in steam before you can use it that way.

He asked how does he know this informations

• @zare759 Because he is one of the moderators and this is how Microsoft handle all of their new games being released on Steam from Windows Store/XBox. It's treated as a different storefront entirely so if you want to own it there as well you need to buy it there as well and your progress is tied to your Microsoft account which is required to play the game no matter where you purchased it from or how you launch it.

• Buyed Gears Tactics yesterday on Steam.
    After you start it redirects you to login into your Microsoft Account like Ubisoft for example.

So it comes to Steam, but Steam is working like a Keyseller in this case.

• @zare759 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

He asked how does he know this informations

Also, SonicBob (a Rare employee) confirmed on reddit that this is how it will work. You need to buy the steam version, there is no transfer but you will still have the same account (all your gold/rep); probably because you'll still be logging into your Microsoft/Xbox account.

• @chris5626 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@kush-n-bacon420 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@iwin2ez You will be able to use your same Xbox/Microsoft account once you have the game purchased in steam, but you will need to purchase it in steam before you can use it that way.

Are you a Rare employee? Have you played the upcoming Steam version and that's why you can confirm this yourself? Or is this just speculation stated as fact?

If this is official information, then why are you allowed to talk about it but no actual Rare employee will address it? Are there even community managers working at Rare anymore? I for one will be pretty irritated if I have to repurchase the game on Steam to play it there.

if you would like to use Steam storefront to purchase the game you will have to repurchase the game there.

You will be able to use your same Xbox/Microsoft account once you have the game purchased in steam, but you will need to purchase it in steam before you can use it that way.

Thanks for the completely unhelpful post, meanwhile no official response on the speculation posted by @Musicmee who is nothing more than a forum moderator.

• @kush-n-bacon420 Not sure why you made the decision to be rude to someone who was trying to help answer your query.

You asked a question you got an answer. @Musicmee might be "nothing more than a forum moderator" but that doesn't mean you need to be rude to him/her (or others) and it still means he is likely kept better informed than most of us, besides Microsoft seem unlikely to change the business practice they have used for all their other published games in the same circumstances purely for this one title especially since it states on the Steam store page that you need a Microsoft account to play and your progress is tied to your Microsoft account.

If you aren't happy with the response, or lack thereof, from Rare then perhaps it is them you should be directing your attention to rather than those trying to help you?

• @chris5626 Its fine matey :(

I know my place... Just a forum moderator.

alt text

• @kush-n-bacon420 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

Thanks for the completely unhelpful post, meanwhile no official response on the speculation posted by @Musicmee who is nothing more than a forum moderator.

Is this official enough for you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/ftm2ob/sea_of_thieves_coming_to_steam/fm7xcrt/

• @d3adst1ck said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

Is this official enough for you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/ftm2ob/sea_of_thieves_coming_to_steam/fm7xcrt/

Yeah, actually it is; literally all I was looking for. Thank you.

• I can't believe we would have to buy the game again. Rude move, Rare. :(

• Any news on price and when etc? It’s been over a month since we keep getting “soon”

• @kush-n-bacon420 well I had already posted that link on page 2 of this thread, but I guess people have missed it.

• @kush-n-bacon420 To add - I am actually in deep conversation with Rare and Rare employees on a daily basis via our private channels and we get given information and limits on what we can feedback to players - and I can only say what I am allowed to.

Which is why I will sometimes avoid situations as to not get involved too much, or to add misinformation that others may take as given.

And if I am or were playing the Steam version of the game I am it sure I would be able to say... Eeek!

• A few updates from today's stream:

• An announcement on the date is probably a week or so away, and the release won't be a million miles after.
    • Work is currently going on into a universal chat system to allow Steam players to communicate cross-platform.
  • If I have bought SoT through the Microsoft Store, will there be a way of me getting it on Steam without buying it again? I'd prefer to run the game on Steam.

• @matamore1993 There will not - you will need to purchase the game on that marketplace to play there.

• Just copying the FAQ from Steam here for visibility!

Ahoy, Steam users! We wanted to address some questions that we have seen asked since we announced in April that Sea of Thieves will soon be coming to Steam. While we don’t have a locked-down release date to announce just yet, we hope you’ll find this useful in answering some of your other burning questions in the meantime!

Do I need an Xbox Live account to play?

To be able to play this game, users will need to sign in when prompted with an Xbox Live account. If you already play on Xbox Live or Windows 10, simply sign in with the account linked to your Xbox gamertag! If you need to set up an Xbox Live account, head over to https://www.xbox.com/live, click ‘Create an Account’ and follow the instructions. Please note that it is free to create an Xbox Live account, and playing Sea of Thieves on Steam will not require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Do I have to be running Windows 10 to play?

Yes. For this game to work, users must be running the Windows 10 operating system.

Is the Steam version included in cross play?

Yes! Players will be able to crew up and play together regardless of which platform they’re on, so those already playing on Xbox One and Windows 10 will be able to play with friends on Steam.

Will game progress carry over to Steam?

Yes! Your ranks, cosmetics and currency will all be there after you sign into your Xbox Live account, meaning you’ll be able to pick up exactly where you left off. Previously earned achievements will automatically unlock on Steam too.

Will this game be locked to 30 frames per second?

No. FPS will be uncapped.

Do I get the game for free on Steam if I already own it?

No. Players on Xbox One and Windows 10 will not receive an entitlement to a free Steam copy. However, cross play breaks down barriers by enabling new Steam players to crew up easily with existing players on Xbox One and Windows 10.

Where do I activate in-game cosmetic/item codes?

To enter a code for an in-game cosmetic or other reward, go to https://redeem.microsoft.com, log in with your Microsoft account and type in the 25-digit code as instructed. Note that it’ll be unlocked on this account only, so make sure this is the same account you use to sign in to Sea of Thieves!

Will Sea of Thieves be available in my country/region?

This game will be purchasable in all countries where the Steam store is available, and the list of supported languages is being expanded for the Steam release. However, if your language is not supported, the game will default to English.

• So the release date just got announced!

Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam on June 3rd!

We have some news - the Steam release of Sea of Thieves is just over the horizon and we're excited to confirm that it launches on June 3rd, 2020!

See below for all the essential information:

Trailer: https://youtu.be/rD974R24J-4

Release Date: June 3rd 2020

Price: $39.99 USD/£34.99 GBP/€39.99 EUR

Store Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172620/Sea_of_Thieves/

FAQ: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1172620/view/3323039031717563803

• @musicmee lol! we got your back Musicmee! dont you worry buddy!

• @musicmee I bought this game 2 years ago on my Xbox. Do I have to repurchase it to play it on my PlayStation 4? (Sarcasm) LOL! Doing a great job sir.... keep us straight.

• 40 bucks?

Big oof.

• Nice shiny wallpaper though :D

• @l4chsfps I thought it would be 60 honestly, I am relieved lol

• @musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!:

@matamore1993 There will not - you will need to purchase the game on that marketplace to play there.

Hi! Well, just bought the game 2 months ago and if I would have known the release would have been so close, I would have waited. Rare could at least look into offering at a lower price for existing owners, no? I think by reading the comments, I am not the only one who feels that's way and Rare should at leat consider some options. That would be a nice move from them. I absolutely love the game and I really understand the team behind it is working hard and they need to get revenue for their work but on the other hand, it's not great that we have to repurchase the same game on the same plateform(PC). In Canadian dollars, that's close to 60$ Urrrrghhh!

• Not really happy that I have to drop another 40 bucks to get this via Steam. I'll hold off and see how the cross play works. Might not need to buy it.

• I wanted SoT on steam because I didn't have windows 10 so I couldn't buy it. What's the point of it coming to steam when it still requires windows 10?

• So you can buy the game on Steam and use multiple Xbox accounts? That's not very fair.

• Exciting news!

Oof though, wish there was a way to search this whole thread (probably is? I'm not here often...). I own this as-is currently without Steam, understand that I'd need to re-purchase for Steam. Looking for others who are going to be testing this on Steam via Proton for Linux. I've fallen way off of playing this as it became the one and only Windows game I cannot get operating on Linux. Would love to be on front lines testing this, learning what issues & caveats there could be - including any "gotchas" on Rare's side such as viewing a proton'd/ wine'd SoT instance as some kind of cheat/hack and thus getting banned for it. Curious if the Insider Crew would get early Steam access to test all that ahead of time?

Completely understandable that Rare might not want to comment or even acknowledge any of the above, but nonetheless there's a niche of us ready to jump onboard this. Literally dozens of us! :D

• @lordfoxsnow8849 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!:

@musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!:

@matamore1993 There will not - you will need to purchase the game on that marketplace to play there.

Hi! Well, just bought the game 2 months ago and if I would have known the release would have been so close, I would have waited. Rare could at least look into offering at a lower price for existing owners, no? I think by reading the comments, I am not the only one who feels that's way and Rare should at leat consider some options. That would be a nice move from them. I absolutely love the game and I really understand the team behind it is working hard and they need to get revenue for their work but on the other hand, it's not great that we have to repurchase the same game on the same plateform(PC). In Canadian dollars, that's close to 60$ Urrrrghhh!

You don't have to repurchase it, you can just carry on playing on ms store, no one is forcing you to. The release has been teased for a long time now. :)

• Can you now play on Mac?

• @skylerpk said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!:

Can you now play on Mac?

Sea of Thieves Steam FAQ:

Do I have to be running Windows 10 to play?

Yes. For this game to work, users must be running the Windows 10 operating system.

Unless you have Windows 10 installed on Bootcamp on your Mac, you're not going to be able to play it there.

• [Mod edit] move that you have to buy the game again... shame on you!

Views
207 out of 230