[MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback

• @zuwashi said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@cotu42 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@zuwashi if a xbox player decides to use their mouse and keyboard that is supported by the game and console they will no longer be able to opt out of being up against the PC community.

I do not see how their choice of input makes them not a xbox player, as my choice of input does not make me any less of a PC player after all.

Shouldn't all xbox console owners be able to opt out of facing PC while using any supported input preference they have being stock controller, elite controller or mouse and keyboard?

Their choice of input has nothing to do with being on a PC. Just like my xbox controller input doesn't change the fact that I am on a PC.

Oh, this? Yeah, I do not care about that at all. I like it how it is and there are no further changes to be made.

This is how it should be in every crossplay title.

Why? Isn't the point of opt out to provide all xbox players with the ability to not crossplay and protect the xbox ecosystem.

What is the reason for an opt out if it isn't to ensure that xbox players never have to face PC when using their console?

• @cotu42 Not sure why you're asking me those questions, I don't work for Rare. They're the only people that can answer your questions.
    I'm happy with what we got.

• @theblackbellamy sagte in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@usualbarley8154 ah, or chatpads then.

Chatpads are disabled in XBoy only...probably with phone binding....

• @Zuwashi you made the statement no further changes are required, not just that you are happy. Therefore I am asking you shouldn't it require a tweak to include all xbox players to ensure that the xbox community is always able to opt out if that is their choice?

These are forums to discuss and exchange ideas for Rare to read.

• @tak225 then tell me why your xbox brethren are left out in the cold if they use a feature that the xbox supports?

Shouldn't a true opt out be offered to all xbox players, where the only requirement is xbox? Why are you forcing xbox players to face PC based on a xbox console feature?

• @captain-taben said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@captgraykid is it true about you doing the work to help us get opt out? If so they should build a massive statue if you in golden sands.
    You did the lords work my friend thankyou.

Not sure about golden sands. The statue should definitely be on an island with salt in the name.

• @captain-taben said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@pomalotacusmk3 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@monkeyshishan
    I specifically outlined where i stand on scarlett. Twice in this thread alone, and 4 other times on other crossplay threads since scarlett was revealed and pc players started usingit as an argument. I have been entirely consistent where i stand, to quote myself:

"You keep asking about scarlett. You even quoted what i said, here, have another go....
    I said, and you quoted in your response:
    "Im not sure about scarlett. No one is because rare have not said what work they plan to do for sot. There is every possibility that they dont do any extra work for scarlett sot. That means it would run exactly like a one x with an ssd. Rare would actually have to do stuff to boost graphics and fps. If it runs exactly like a one x, im happy for it to have access to the Xbox only servers. If it runs in pc-advantage-seeker mode, i expect it to be open servers only. If it runs in pc-advantage-seeker mode and does not have a one x downscaling mode, i will simply plug the old Xbox in, and opt out. I think that all sounds pretty fair, don't you?"

So, just in case you are struggling to understand, there are 3 possibilities, none of which can be confirmed because rare are in charge:

Option 1: If rare do no work, the game stays the same and its a direct port. Fps stays at 30. Graphics stay the same. The game will run exactly like an Xbox one x with an ssd. If this is what happens, scarlett can opt out. This is the possibility that @Captain-Taben already highlighted.
    Option 2: Rare creates pc-advantage-seeker mode for scarlett with higher fps, graphics, all of it. In this case, i believe scarlet gets put in open servers. This is the option that @PrincessAsuna96 has highlighted, albeit with concerns regarding...possibly kbm and hacks, but i don't want to speak on her behalf.

Option 3: Rare creates pc advantage seeker mode but also has an xbox one mode in the settings where the game is throttled to run like Xbox one x(basically like option 1 above). If a scarlett owner selects xbox one mode, they can opt out.
    I personally hope for option 1 or 3, because if they try to force me into pc servers, i'll just plug the Xbox one in, and opt out. Option 1 and 3 also remove any concerns regarding kbm and pc hacks."
    End quote.

I really cant be any more direct than that. Until rare says 'we are doing xyx for scarlett sot' or 'scarlett sot gets no optimization' noone can accurately describe where scarlett belongs.

2 extra points:

1. Scarlett sot being boosted and optimised does not stop the ease of access for pc hacks.
    2. Rare should fix the ferry/mermaid so ssd provides no advantage, just like every other Xbox game.

These 2 points make me think that options 1&3 above are both acceptable BUT if these 2 points cant be resolved, i'll just plug my Xbox One back in, and opt out.

I cant be any more open about what could and should happen. Let me borrow your time machine, and i'll find out which option rare goes with.

Your posts are amazing. So proud to be mentioned in this legendary post. Thankyou!

Thanks! As a general rule, type it, check for spelling, then re-read the post you're replying to, just to make sure you covered everything. Finally, make sure you word everything very clearly. Just remember, you arent trying to convince the crazy person. You are trying to convince the logical, reasonable third party in the room!

• @zuwashi @NeedSmokes
    Too much time lost.
    Too many time limited cosmetics missed.
    The battle used to be about saving SoT, but quickly shifted to saving the future of Xbox and optional crossplay.

Couldn't agree more.

• @pomalotacusmk3 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@captain-taben said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@captgraykid is it true about you doing the work to help us get opt out? If so they should build a massive statue if you in golden sands.

Not sure about golden sands. The statue should definitely be on an island with salt in the name.

He's definitely earned a statue on Fool's Lagoon, that's for sure.

• @cotu42 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@zuwashi said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@cotu42 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@zuwashi if a xbox player decides to use their mouse and keyboard that is supported by the game and console they will no longer be able to opt out of being up against the PC community.

I do not see how their choice of input makes them not a xbox player, as my choice of input does not make me any less of a PC player after all.

Shouldn't all xbox console owners be able to opt out of facing PC while using any supported input preference they have being stock controller, elite controller or mouse and keyboard?

Their choice of input has nothing to do with being on a PC. Just like my xbox controller input doesn't change the fact that I am on a PC.

Oh, this? Yeah, I do not care about that at all. I like it how it is and there are no further changes to be made.

Why? Isn't the point of opt out to provide all xbox players with the ability to not crossplay and protect the xbox ecosystem.

What is the reason for an opt out if it isn't to ensure that xbox players never have to face PC when using their console?

Xbox players using kbm are cheaters. They are looking for a pc advantage over Xbox players. They belong out in the cold.

• @l4chsfps said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@pomalotacusmk3 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@captain-taben said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

He's definitely earned a statue on Fool's Lagoon, that's for sure.

😂 thats the best

• @cotu42 they chose mouse and keyboard then they go in the mixed pool exactly how it should be the 0.5 percent of Xbox players that chose to use that should end up there the console is not known for using that input method and should never be commonly known for using that aswell and if that's what they want to play with mouse and keyboard they should really go buy a pc and if you want the level playing field of the controller console ECCO system then buy a console the way it should be and used to be before this cross play nonsense cane around and if they don't mind playing controller Vs m and k bravo good for them opt in but you can't really play some victim when the platform you chose is known to have the majority of players I would guess by a large margin mouse and keyboard players

• @cotu42 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@tak225 then tell me why your xbox brethren are left out in the cold if they use a feature that the xbox supports?

Shouldn't a true opt out be offered to all xbox players, where the only requirement is xbox? Why are you forcing xbox players to face PC based on a xbox console feature?

They are not left out in the cold. No one is left out in the cold. I'm guessing that they chose to use a input method barely even supported on the platform to improve their gameplay because they thought they needed to or wanted to. They can easily go back to the default and join the rest if wanted and if they don't then I guess they are happy with how things are in crossplay and not complaining here in this thread. I can't speak for those players so I'm only guessing.

• @pomalotacusmk3 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@zuwashi said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

Xbox players using kbm are cheaters. They are looking for a pc advantage over Xbox players. They belong out in the cold.

Using an official supported input model is cheating. Therefore the use of non stock supported equipment that make the game experience in some regard more like PC is cheating.

Then it is simple:

I call for all elite controller users to be excluded from the xbox opt out, as they seek advantages over their xbox stock companions. It is cheating having paddles to bunny hop easier which is a PC advantage.

I call for all external SSD users to be excluded from the opt out in that case as well. They are seek to have PC hardware advantages as they seek shorter load times than the xbox stock version.

The fact that it is officially supported by a xbox console is not relevant, it is all cheating as it is seeking advantages over the supplied default of the system and are additional purchases to get an advantage that is similar to those of PC players.

Using an official supported input model is cheating. Therefore the use of non stock supported equipment that make the game experience in some regard more like PC is cheating.

Then it is simple:

I call for all elite controller users to be excluded from the xbox opt out, as they seek advantages over their xbox stock companions. It is cheating having paddles to bunny hop easier which is a PC advantage.

I call for all external SSD users to be excluded from the opt out in that case as well. They are seek to have PC hardware advantages as they seek shorter load times than the xbox stock version.

The fact that it is officially supported by a xbox console is not relevant, it is all cheating as it is seeking advantages over the supplied default of the system and are additional purchases to get an advantage that is similar to those of PC players.

Wow...….. I can't even...….. Wow.

• @inboundbomb what have them give a consistent answer? What exactly is the difference between buying an SSD external drive to have similar loading times as PC and using a mouse and keyboard to have similar input as PC?

Is the option about controller play only or the ability to buy advantages? We have the same options regarding input that isn't a platform difference. If their platform supports it officially why should it not be allowed onto the platform servers?

Should the hate towards PC players carry over to their own community? They keep stating xbox players must not ever be forced to face PC. Yet a portion of them are based on input device preferences that is supported by their own xbox are forced to do so. How are these people not xbox?

@Zuwashi you made the statement no further changes are required, not just that you are happy. Therefore I am asking you shouldn't it require a tweak to include all xbox players to ensure that the xbox community is always able to opt out if that is their choice?

These are forums to discuss and exchange ideas for Rare to read.

Yes, no further changes required in my opinion. I have been here when this hot topic was discussed every single day.
    If I remember correctly, we (the opt-out-crew) pointed out that every other crossplay title had it optional, not forced. Pretty standard stuff in the industry actually.
    I remember that we pointed out the differences between kbm vs controller and that pc players are significantly advantaged compared to xbox players when it comes to their input methods.

That was the main issue I believe. Sure, pc players can have higher frames and faster loading times but my main issue was always kbm vs controller and the impossibility to balance it.
    Others have/had additional (and valid) issues against pc vs xbox but I remained focused on the main issue. The additional points were just the icing on the cake to give further justification for optional crossplay.

There was no way to keep forced crossplay.

Now, I know where you're trying to go with our little discussion and I don't care that you're using a controller on a pc.

Perhaps you should advocate for lobbies where only pc players get in that use controllers.
    I'm sure the average pc player will never find a way to circumvent this just so they can play ez mode with kbm in those lobbies.

There you have it. What you are asking for is out of the ordinary but good luck getting into the xbox controller lobbies.

Anyway, we shouldn't split the player base even further, don't you agree? ; )

• According to the latest dev update video, only 7% of people have opted out. Seems like it's not a big problem at all and only affects a tiny minority.

• @zuwashi I actually advocated in here fro crossplay controller only servers. PC players are welcoming of others.

About avoiding detection and still use m&k has been done for decades on xbox. You can buy a simple extension for your platform and use m&k while having the xbox think it is a controller, as that is how people used the input model before it was officially supported. It is a new feature of xbox consoles. That is something Microsoft finally added. It is no longer limited within the platform officially.

Xbox players are given the choice of input. If you believe that even with the same input xbox players must have the option to opt out as it is unfair vs controller PC, why is this not true for xbox users that pick mouse and keyboard and face the same input on PC.

There is such a double standard that is being defended here. They are xbox players, if their input makes them PC equivalents, than controller players on PC are xbox equivalents. That is the logic...

That means input crossplay is the only true way forward. The xbox division cannot pick that external SSD upgrades to get PC like load times is totally fair and M&K is out of bounds, while at the same time stating that controller input based matchmaking is not fair either, because PC has hardware advantages like faster load times.

• @nofears-fun said in [[MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play

How is combat not about speed in turning or being able to out maneuver someone? It is the only way to truly offer cross play in a way that makes it so that there are no advantages one way or another.

Like I said, it's not about speed. You can set your controller's turn speed so that it's faster than what I use on my mouse, but that wouldn't help you. It's about accuracy of movement.

Currently, not only are you faster in with a mouse, but you have a lot higher degree of accuracy over controller. And I am not saying aim bot, I am saying aim assist. As for aimbot for some, while I know most of the pc users i play with do not use an aimbot, there are many out there that do. Again, I am NOT saying all do it, but some do.

There should be ZERO aim assist in any multiplayer game regardless of your choice of peripherals. Some people cheating in video games is irrelevant.

OK, then you can play with other PC players then. IF you truly want to argue for cross play, than either compromises are needed, or it simply won't work.

Well, d'uh. I never wanted crossplay in the first place, because I knew we'd end up here eventually. It's a neat idea, and I love the concept of bringing the platforms together but in a game that needs aiming? Nah.

But, you, like most PC players, are unwilling to compromise, and in doing so are unwilling to help fix cross play. Cross play can be fixed, but it will take sacrifices to do it

Read above. These solutions aren't solutions. Fix it without ruining my experience and we're golden.

• @naamar1 I guess that explains it then. You don't want cross play, which I have never heard anyone arguing from the PC side of things say before. My arguments are for cross play, so of course they will fall on deaf ears here. So we will just have to agree to disagree then mate. Fair winds and similar seas to you matey.

• There you go developer update says 7.5 percent of players have opted out so no need for the concern guys you still have 92.5 percent of the player population

Isnt that interesting joe neate explaining at the moment only 7.5% of players have opted out and according to their systems ships are populated fine in all servers.
    Shines a suspicious light on all the pc players who suddenly have No apparant players or Summit saying 80% will opt out.
    Embarrassing.

I guess you missed the part where he did say that populations were below where they wanted them to be at off peak times? Mentioned at around 3m50s.

• That's great news for the cross play pool, ultimately i still think Cross play users were right to have concerns though as paying consumers.

Whilst I am here i would like to thank @Musicmee for forwarding questions on my and others behalf to the team last week, some of which were addressed In this weeks update.

Really glad specifically that they addressed the merging system isnt exactly optimal at the moment and that it needs work.

• @cotu42

There is such a double standard that is being defended here. They are xbox players, if their input makes them PC equivalents, than controller players on PC are xbox equivalents. That is the logic...

I understand that and I would have no objections against it as long as those pc players get their fps, resolutions and load times capped/adjusted to those of the xbox.

Depending on their hardware, they should get og xbox or xbox x (scarlett etc.) performance. No fine tuning, no middle ground and no way to circumvent this at all. Either or. That's the only way I ever accept pc players with controllers in other titles, in case this is indeed the future.

I don't see it happening because it's out of the ordinary and I don't care. I like the industry standard in regards to crossplay.

I always looked forward to crossplay with/against ps4/switch players but never with pc.
    There it should also be optional even though those platforms mainly use controllers as their input device.

• @cotu42 as you said there are devices that get around this having Xbox and controller only servers would 1 force a pc player to buy a Xbox 2 force them to buy a xim 3 have them pay for Xbox live to play on console it's a rather steep outlay of money just to keep a advantage.
    in a mixed cross play controller only a xim is only needed making it less of a deterrent the current option is the best for said reasons I feel there would be far less people willing to pay to keep the advantages

• @pomalotacusmk3 they don't belong with Xbox controller users thats for sure

@inboundbomb what have them give a consistent answer? What exactly is the difference between buying an SSD external drive to have similar loading times as PC and using a mouse and keyboard to have similar input as PC?

Is the option about controller play only or the ability to buy advantages? We have the same options regarding input that isn't a platform difference. If their platform supports it officially why should it not be allowed onto the platform servers?

Should the hate towards PC players carry over to their own community? They keep stating xbox players must not ever be forced to face PC. Yet a portion of them are based on input device preferences that is supported by their own xbox are forced to do so. How are these people not xbox?

I'm wowing over something that you have no part of. When I bought my SSD was used more for storage capacity more than for performance because My old HHD fried. Do you own and play on a console? You can only choose one side but respect the other. You chose PC and that is what you define yourself as …. No? They are console and chose as such. I'm a Gamer..... totally different person. Now how was your speech any different than telling them to "get good"? You just literally banned the console system world and put them back to the Atari 2600 days. Do you want to play with them or do you not? Your whole start of you post was for PC controller users to get their own safe space while allowing default console users to join. Keep lobbing for that and I would support you.

• @d3adst1ck said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

According to the latest dev update video, only 7% of people have opted out. Seems like it's not a big problem at all and only affects a tiny minority.

I heard that but my initial question would be whether that is based on the "10 million players" number we were given recently or the actual active playerbase?

Seems too low to support full opt out servers. So, if it's based on the active playerbase, I would expect quite a lot of those servers are actually still merging with crossplay servers to keep the population up.

• @d3adst1ck said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

According to the latest dev update video, only 7% of people have opted out. Seems like it's not a big problem at all and only affects a tiny minority.

Really? Surprising results there. I truly thought it would at least be a lot more than that.

• @captain-taben I thought it would be higher then this but then again alot of players might not be aware that you have to go to settings to opt out I think this number could still rise a little

• @inboundbomb said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@d3adst1ck said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

Really? Surprising results there. I truly thought it would at least be a lot more than that.

Yeah, it seems low. As @RealStyli mentioned, it would be nice to know the population count that the percentage is based on to get a better idea of what we are looking at.

If 7% is based on current active population, then it turns out that the number of people actually wanting this was quite low and there are no tidal waves of returning players who have been clamoring for this. Seems like a waste of close to a year of development time.

If 7% is based on total number of players ever then 700,000 players (of 10M total) is quite a lot and I would still be concerned about population levels on the crossplay servers over time. I wouldn't expect there to be more than 30-40K players at any time, so 700K would be a good chunk of connected monthly players.

• Personally I think in the long term the percentage will be lower than 7%.

I dont think this move has brought back nearly as much players as people liked to imply.

The bottom line by the numbers.

A preference offered to a vocal minority, and highly likely only to be ever used by that minority.

• @d3adst1ck I thought the 10 million players was the lifetime amount since release.

Not a recent concurrent active total over a shorter recent period?

Seems like marketing fluff to me.

• @realstyli said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@d3adst1ck said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

I heard that but my initial question would be whether that is based on the "10 million players" number we were given recently or the actual active playerbase?

Seems too low to support full opt out servers. So, if it's based on the active playerbase, I would expect quite a lot of those servers are actually still merging with crossplay servers to keep the population up.

I'm pretty certain the 10 million players is how many users have played since release, not recent concurrent players, say over a monthly or quarterly period which would be a more honest indicator.

Considering the preference just dropped and many news articles are stating the 10 million is since release and not active concurrent users over a recent period, the wise mans money would be on that preference users are nowhere near that million mark.

Views
938 out of 1778