Practice Combat

• There should be a way to activate a practice sort of combat with your crew mate where you get a fake healthbar and you both can fight until one health bar reaches zero. The loser doesn’t die or go to the ferryman, the combat state just ends and can be activated again. This will allow for people to practice some fighting while on the seas to improve their skills.

Views
    feedbackcompetition
  • @baconbot4000 i agree

• A friend suggested similar.

Basically an emote to use on your crew, they emote back and you duel eachother.

• It's called Arena.

I'm just kidding. A duel function would be a fun way for crews to pass the time on long hauls.

• @viperishemu2992 said in Practice Combat:

It's called Arena.

I'm just kidding. A duel function would be a fun way for crews to pass the time on long hauls.

That is the best way to practice! Like seriously if you struggle with long distance cannon shots or sword play do 4-5 matches in Arena!

It’s nice to have a pretty much endless supply of cannon balls to practice with!

• There are even commendations with killcounts, and titles to earn. For all the weapons.
    You even get paid for completing matches.

Arena is the place to train in pvp.

• @baconbot4000 I agree 100%. I had posted a similar suggestion many months ago, but it got little reaction. I also thought, since we are pirates, that the winner would take 25 or 50 gold from the loser. It does not need to be much, even 10 gold. But I think it be a great benefit to improving your PVP skills and another way to pass time on long trips across the seas!

• My buddies and I have been pushing for this for awhile. Make it like voting to scuttle or change crew type but you just vote to turn on Friendly Fire basically. It's a great way to pass the time, and especially a great way to practice PVP and improve your skills. When we've gotten 2 sloops on one server we always get into shenanigans and attack each other, but we've gotten a ton better for it. Honestly allowing people to practice and get better might get a lot more people to stop complaining about the existence of PVP in the game as well as they could feel like they're able to fight back with the practice.

• A lot of us have wanted the same type of thing for a long time. Since Rare has always wanted some good sword fights, I say they give us some wooden swords to practice with. I don't feel any kind of firearm should be used.

Wooden swords please!?

• @glannigan said in Practice Combat:

@viperishemu2992 said in Practice Combat:

It's called Arena.

That is the best way to practice! Like seriously if you struggle with long distance cannon shots or sword play do 4-5 matches in Arena!

It’s nice to have a pretty much endless supply of cannon balls to practice with!

It's true. I was much better at combat after playing Arena just 10 times or so. I don't play Arena anymore because it didn't hold my interest. But it definitely improved my combat skills real quick!

The OP has a point that some kind of "duel" mechanic could be a nice way for crews to have fun together besides having vomiting contests and playing the same 5 songs again. But for actually improving your combat skills Arena is the real deal.

• @baconbot4000
    I've wanted this since launch. It would be an awesome way of giving players the choice to create some mini games with their crew members.

• @baconbot4000 said in Practice Combat:

There should be a way to activate a practice sort of combat with your crew mate where you get a fake healthbar and you both can fight until one health bar reaches zero. The loser doesn’t die or go to the ferryman, the combat state just ends and can be activated again. This will allow for people to practice some fighting while on the seas to improve their skills.

What you are asking for is called a sparring mode.

I also want a sparring mode, please give us this Rare! :3

• @barnabas-seadog said in Practice Combat:

There are even commendations with killcounts, and titles to earn. For all the weapons.

Arena is a place to perform perfection, there is no place to practice it properly tho'.

• @bumbumbac said in Practice Combat:

@barnabas-seadog said in Practice Combat:

There are even commendations with killcounts, and titles to earn. For all the weapons.

Arena is a place to perform perfection, there is no place to practice it properly tho'.

Perfection is not the word that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Arena experiences.
    Twitch Rivals or Battle of L.A. are far from the common experiences that occur all the time.

In Arena you have a stocked galleon and a ready supply of adversaries bent on your defeat, instead of hunting for hours only to find hapless innocents doing Tall Tales in Adventure.
    All in a twenty-four minute burst, and with a guaranteed payout.

OP suggest a sparring mode. I think it is just another pastime for crewmembers to kill time while somebody else pilots the ship by himself.
    Like throwing vomit, playing shanties, card games, and dice, instead of trimming sails or learning how not to drop anchor everytime you want to stop.

You want to learn how to kill pirates?
    Circle jerking with crewmates won't teach you much.

• I would prefer friendly fire.

• @br0crastinat0r said in Practice Combat:

I would prefer friendly fire.

I'd like to hear you say that as you get surrounded by skellies and your crewmate cuts you down along with them, or cannons you as you board an enemy ship.

• @galactic-geek said in Practice Combat:

@br0crastinat0r said in Practice Combat:

I would prefer friendly fire.

I'd like to hear you say that as you get surrounded by skellies and your crewmate cuts you down along with them, or cannons you as you board an enemy ship.

whatever the scenario I would also prefer friendly fire.

• @barnabas-seadog said in Practice Combat:

Circle jerking with crewmates won't teach you much...

...and that is where your assumption is in error, because it is irrelevant whether the guy you're fighting is your enemy or friend the important part is that you have an opponent to practice pvp with and a mechanism that allows pvp between crewmembers would give opportunity for all to practice pvp more often and thus, get better at it faster.

It's also far easier to find friends that share your interests than to persuade enemies to drop their agendas in favor of yours.

• @galactic-geek I would love if both could happen. As of right now we’re left with a lack of tactics and consequences.

• @bumbumbac said in Practice Combat:

@barnabas-seadog said in Practice Combat:

Circle jerking with crewmates won't teach you much...

...and that is where your assumption is in error, because it is irrelevant whether the guy you're fighting is your enemy or friend the important part is that you have an opponent to practice pvp with and a mechanism that allows pvp between crewmembers would give opportunity for all to practice pvp more often and thus, get better at it faster.

Here's a likely theoretical situation: I join a random Adventure crew. I have an Arena title Swashbuckling Sea Dog.
    Of course, one of the crew wants to challenge me. Being a mission oriented player, I am more interested in getting under way, not wasting time dueling. I sharpened what pvp skill I have in the Arena, to apply in Adventure, not school crewmates.
    I keep getting spammed with invites to duel, constantly.
    I leave, and search for another random crew.

It's also far easier to find friends that share your interests than to persuade enemies to drop their agendas in favor of yours.

In Arena it is pretty clear, opposing pirates are there to defeat you.
    No parlay needed.
    Arena may be a lousy competition mode, but it's an excellent combat simulator.

Views
feedbackcompetition
3 out of 21