Ship Sail angles

• Hey all im new around here just got this game 2 weeks ago. I did quite of research and found the most optimal sail angle positions for each ship for maximum speed. I see that for the sloop, you always want to have the sails facing forward in a default position unless you can sail with the wind. Now I'm wondering, what would be the second fastest/second optimal position if you are given the opportunity to sail with the wind. I still think it would be default sail position with the sails facing directly forward. Can someone please clarify this for me and an explanation would be nice to. Btw, I used that optimal sail positions picture that I found on reddit and also watched the YouTube video for it.

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • To my knowledge, every ship is at its fastest overall full billow with a crosswind.

Relative to other ships, the sloop is fastest in a headwind, the brig is fastest in a crosswind (and by extension the fastest ship in the game) and the galley is the fastest ship with a tailwind.

My source, take it with a grain of salt:
    alt text

• Is that still valid information all these years later?

• @scheneighnay Thanks for the response, but this information I already know. I wasn't asking what is the most optimal sail angles as I already know the most optimal sail positions. I want to know for the sloop specifically, If you are given the opportunity to go full bellow such in a crosswind that allows you to sail with the wind (most optimal and fastest), would the second fastest sail position in that case (or any case when you can go full bellow) be the neutral sail position (sail facing forward like the ship just spawned)? Basically Im asking if having your sloop in neutral sails even when you can go full bellow (crosswind, or any other wind direction) is the 2nd most optimal position (second fastest). I want to know because I don't feel like moving my sails around all the time, If I am sailing at the 2nd fastest speed, I am ok with that sometimes. An explanation would be nice too.

• @uxorialmarrow97 if I’m on a sloop I only angle my sails enough to catch a bit of left or right when the wind is still mostly behind me. Otherwise I leave them tacked to the front. I can’t be bothered to catch side wind on a sloop. I sometimes get super lazy and don’t angle my sails at all unless I’m in a hurry. I feel like the speed boost just isn’t enough most of the time to bother, so I don’t.

I play on a brig the vast majority of time though, partly because I can go so fast on it.

• @personalc0ffee said in Ship Sail angles:

Is that still valid information all these years later?

I'm not sure, I've been told otherwise but haven't seen a demonstration one way or another.

• @uxorialmarrow97 said in Ship Sail angles:

@scheneighnay Thanks for the response, but this information I already know. I wasn't asking what is the most optimal sail angles as I already know the most optimal sail positions. I want to know for the sloop specifically, If you are given the opportunity to go full bellow such in a crosswind that allows you to sail with the wind (most optimal and fastest), would the second fastest sail position in that case (or any case when you can go full bellow) be the neutral sail position (sail facing forward like the ship just spawned)? Basically Im asking if having your sloop in neutral sails even when you can go full bellow (crosswind, or any other wind direction) is the 2nd most optimal position (second fastest). I want to know because I don't feel like moving my sails around all the time, If I am sailing at the 2nd fastest speed, I am ok with that sometimes. An explanation would be nice too.

On a sloop it won't hurt you very badly to be suboptimal in any direction, just so long as you aren't being pursued.

As you would expect, I've made significant distance over sloops pursuing my own before just by being more attentive to sails.

Publicaciones
Visitas
6 de 7