Permission to come aboard, Captain

• The seasons are changing. A newer pirate I be, and thrilled am I to enter this, my second season on the Sea of Thieves. Would it be nice if for once I could awake from a normal bed, and not a sticky grog soaked table.

The lightness of the coin pouch jingles 'No Captaincy today for you. You be a poor pirate'.

I counted my coin, "Ah, carry the one... 98,000 gold? But yesterday... hic... I had a million gold."

Struggle I did to remember. "I bought a boat. A glorious purple hulled boat with matching sails. Purchased it I did from the enchanting shipwright, Scarlett".

Remember...

"Darling, should you really be buying another boat? You sink them faster than I can build them" she said with a hint of concern.

"Scarlett, my love... come sail away with me on the grand maiden voyage of the soon to be infamous sloop, Scarlett's Swansong".

"Hush, without Captaincy, you know you cannot name your boat" she admonished, but then smiled, "Oh Taco, I would sail with you, but... you know I don't swim" she giggled, "and swimming is a necessity with you at the helm".

"That last time was not my fault. Those Reapers got lucky with their chain mast destroying thingies. All I had were coconuts!"

"Oh Taco, how many times do I have to tell you, the cannon ball crates have the pictures of the..."

"Yes... yes..." I interrupted, "The pictures of the dark coconuts on them, yes... yes... Scarlett love, I am ready to buy... another boat!"

The counter top groaned from the weight of one million gold coins.

Scarlett's purple creation was glorious! Together that nameless ship and I made it out of the harbor sailed twice around the island, and were immediately sunk... by a kraken.

"That was the best 10 minutes of my life" I mumbled into my grog before passing out.

But that was yesterday,

This is today, which will eventually become yesterday on tomorrow, which was still today!

Excitement was in the air. A new Galleon, with a proper captain was looking for an able bodied crew for his Galleon's maiden voyage!

I expertly hid my drunken stagger as I lurched out the door and to the docks. Scarlett was already hard at work making my next ship, 'The Party Boat'. I give her a sly wink that said 'I will be back here soon with enough gold for you and I to sail away together into forever'.

With more confidence than I felt, I approached the gang plank.

"Permission to come aboard, Captain... hic".

"Are you drunk?" questioned the Captain in bemusement.

"No... no... a bit... just a bit... got a nasty hangover... but ready am I to sail, Captain..."

"Captain Vaeden. Permission granted. Congratulations... you appear to be the only crew member who is sober".

The captain cleared his throat and spoke with authority, "Welcome aboard the finest vessel on these here seas, the..."

"Oh wait, I can read, The Hamster's Wreath."

"The Hunter's Wrath" he corrected proudly.

"A fine name she has. Ready to serve am I, Captain Vermin-a-den".

"Fine yes very well. We have a mission of great importance".

The Captain addressed the entire crew, "Gentlemen, we are being tasked with restoring the Mythical Veil of the Ancients! Please direct your attention to the Pirate Lord himself".

"Gads, he's got daggers in his back. One, two... five!"

"That's three..." corrected the sailor next to me, and then with a glance inquired my name.

"Taco. My name is Taco? Or was that my lunch? My parakeet is Nacho. He can tell you".

"My name is Cleese. Nice to meet you Taco. That Pirate Lord keeps promising to keep that veil safe. Would you believe this is the second such voyage I have been on today?"

"Pirate Lord Butterfingers" we laughed.

"Taco, what do you think of this galleon? Personally, I am impressed. Someday, I too will have my own vessel. I am going to call it, 'The Monstrous Python'".

"It is the dream of every pirate" I nodded. "But if I am being honest with you, I knew today was the day I would be able to buy my Captaincy. But I chose to spend most of my gold last night...".

"Let me guess... blonde?"

"Purple."

"Ah the Dawn Hunter... may she rest in peace in the silty sands of Galleon's Grave."

"Aye, may she rest in peace" we raised and drained our grog tankards in salute. Our instruments found their way into our hands and we began playing a woeful shanty.

"Ahem! The Pirate Lord is still speaking... Oh wait... he just vanished. Carry on".

The maiden voyage of the Hunter's Wrath was gloriously successful. Captain Vaeden superbly led us across the Sea Of Thieves. Treasure was found. Battles were fought and won. The mystical veil was recovered. Other pirates were defeated. Drunk as we were, we were not about to let those even drunker pirates steal our chest of legends.

When we return home to port our treasures were sold, and our pockets filled with coin.

My new best friend Cleese, weighted with coin and full of inspiration from the rising legend, Captain Vaeden, bought his own Captaincy. "Taco, I can hear from your jingle that you too have enough gold to buy your Captaincy. Are you going to get it"?

"Cleese my friend, I will happily sail with you anytime. And you too Captain Vaeden. My future though, has a different path. First, I could never decide on just one ship name. A ship is many things to me, ever changing. Plus, if I were to commit to one ship, who would buy Scarlett's newest creations?"

"But Taco, look at all these rewards that only a captain can achieve? There are so many decorations and trinkets that only captains can earn. Certainly you will want to earn them all".

"Cleese my Captain friend, sailing is its own reward. I like the freedom of not having to be in charge. I just want to wake up, and definitely not stagger to the dock and join a crew, any crew. As long as they follow the Pirate Code, then happy I will be."

"But it can be kind of risky always joining a random crew" worried Captain Cleese.

"I believe this has changed. No longer will the open crew Galleons be leaderless. Committed and determined Captains will be leading. Hungry will these Captains be to earn their rewards. Grateful will they be to have committed and mostly sober crew! As far as I am concerned, these are the best of times, the most glorious of times, and the most carefree of times for the dedicated crew!"

"Too each their own, Taco".

"Perhaps someday I will finally purchase the right to call myself... uh..."

"Captain" answered Cleese.

"Right Captain... but for now, I think I will call... to myself... my true love... Scarlett".

Congratulations to all the new captains out there! Nacho and I are ready to join you in open crew!

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • I'd wear a shirt that said

To each their own, Taco

• This is truly amazing. With "Cleese my Captain friend, sailing is its own reward" you got me, 100% agree. No need for treasures or gold, just the experience the game offers. I hope I might meet you someday

• @LordTaco111 Most entertaining! Thanks for sharing.

Publicaciones
Visitas
3 de 4