Ship name issues since last update

• Edit:
    Ship names were coming up Blank on the ship crest or assigned a different name; it seems to be working fine since the April Monthly update during season 9. If this issue comes up again in the future go through this checklist of ways to reduce the issue occurring.

1. Confirm your settings are not toggled to Hide ship name under streaming settings.

2. Try to respawn on your ship. If you are at an outpost set sail before you go to the ferry and respawn or else you'll end up in the Tavern.

3. Equip and save a new ship crest, I noticed the default one that is unsaved to my new captained ship was seeing the most changes.

I consider this issue resolved and would be fine with the post being locked.

Aufrufe
  • @rougual, just had this happen to me tonight. I couldn't see the ship name, everyone else on my crew could. Everyone was playing on Series X.

• This was happening to a crew member of mine but then I loaded up a session and it wasn't happening to me.

It is VERY inconsistent.

Perhaps it is something on the back end with the captain module being under stress from the boosting.

• @Rougual

Have you managed to fix the issue?

• This has been going on for me since Season 8, I log in, ship name is correct as I approach it, get on board and the name has changed, even when the server merges, the shi name changes.

• @rougual Just adding my experience. I noticed in one server, my ship's name wasn't printed on the crest. It was a blank crest.

• Not to ask the obvious question...but have you made sure "streamer mode" is off in SoT and "user content" is on for your Xbox & Steam accounts?

• @pithyrumble

Checked countless times…it’s bugged :(

The proof is that usually the ship name is correct at the start of the session and then it changes to a random one as soon as you approach another ship.

What is sad is that in 3 months it seems like the issue is being completely overlooked.

• @gaezoso said in Ship name issues since last update:

@pithyrumble

Checked countless times…it’s bugged :(

The proof is that usually the ship name is correct at the start of the session and then it changes to a random one as soon as you approach another ship.

What is sad is that in 3 months it seems like the issue is being completely overlooked.

I don't know if it's being overlooked (assuming you are submitting report tickets) but it's possible it's not able to be reproduced easily so they can't determine what is causing it. I haven't seen my ship name change at all. Are all your ships doing this, or only one specific one? If it doesn't happen consistently or all the time, it will be much harder to locate the source than something you can perform on command.

This could also be related to ship cosmetics not saving, which also seems to only affect some ships but not all ships.

• @d3adst1ck

I can’t see the real name of ANY opposing captained ship. Every boat gets its name swapped with a game generated random one.

I’ve opened 2 support tickets with 3 months of wait time from one another and the team said both times that they are aware of the issue and a fix will come sooner or later. However, as you mentioned, the second time they also said that sometimes it’s hard to reproduce some bugs and it may take more time than usual. I would be eager to work together with them to try to troubleshoot the thing in any way, even if i don’t know what I can really do given that i’m on Xbox X. What I can add is that one user said that he was able to fix the issue by playing the game on controller instead of K and M as I usually do myself.

I think I should try to see if it gets fixed in the same way for me too and probably open another ticket making the dev team aware of this strange behavior…

• @Rougual

I think I may have tracked down the issue.

Are you playing with a different language in game?

I mean, I am Italian and I set the game to English. Bringing it back to my original language seemed to fix the bug.

Can you please check?

• This also happens to me. I am a streamer, but I do not have streamer mode, or Replace gamertags/names/etc active. I have flipped them back and forth multiple times. My experience is as follows:

Start game. My ship name (HMS Shadowlands) is present. When approaching ship, flash message saying "HMS Shadowlands, Captained by NikoyakaSanzoku" appears, confirming that the name is accurate. Set sail with a crew. After an indeterminate period of time, I happen to catch my Name Plate in my field of view and the name has changed. The crew can still see my original nameplate. The next time I set sail the name has returned to HMS Shadowlands... Then repeat as above with the name change occurring during the game for no reason I can understand.

I have checked settings. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the game. I have toggled almost every setting on and off again. Nothing corrects it. The name HMS Shadowlands was chosen because it means something to me, and I am the only one that cannot see it.

For reference, none of the Usernames I can see (my crew, for example) are changed. They show up accurately, meaning that as people names and ship names seemed to be linked in the "Show gamertag" group of settings, it definitely is not that.

I am frustrated beyond belief at this, given how long we waited to have this customisation option.

I work in Software Development (UAT Test Lead for a Multinational Educational Organisation) so I understand the intricacies of the process. However this has been going on for months, with a LOT of people reporting similar problems. If the Devs cannot replicate the issue, perhaps it is time to reach out to the community directly?

(Edit: I am playing on a Windows 10 Desktop PC, with more than enough RAM (32GB) and Graphics power (12GB) to run SoT at the highest settings. So it is unlikely to be a system issue. Happy to be corrected though.)

• @nikoyakasanzoku

Have you changed the game language to a different one instead of yours?

I’m Italian and I play the game in English. This morning I tried to revert the game to Italian and the ship banner of my boat didn’t change even when I approached other players.

Unfortunately I didn’t find any enemy captained boat so I’m not 100% sure I found the issue, but I’m confident I got the problem.

If it is the same situation as yours, can you try and tell me if it works?

Thanks, G

• UPDATE: tried again, it doesn't work. At this point I don't know what else to try.

• @rougual I have a same bug, some time my ship name is not appears on a tablet

• I portal hopped this weekend and when I came out there was a different name on my ship. Not sure when, but it switched back sometime during the session lol.

• After I select "Set Sail" and wake up on the tavern table, my account name changes in the top right when in the menu. Then, when I approached my ship, the ship's name and the owner were not mine. I logged in several times, and it's a different ship name and owner each time. I cant get to my name ship.

I play closed crew and never had any other account names, so it must be some weird server-side issue.

• Pretty sad the only thing this game really offers captain ships is customization - and they can't even get that right. Last month it was my galleon wouldn't save livery. Now my sloop name doesn't appear on the door crest. Worked up till today - now pouf - gone.

• And can some one please tell me why the word (p-o-o-f) is banned on the forums? I mean hagrid says it in HP Half Blood Prince - and that's rated PG.

• @captainroger981 It's used as a slur

• @d3adst1ck You got to be kidding me - lol. But you are right, b/c according to Merriam Webster, in the UK, and the UK ONLY, that word is a slur. No where else in English speaking countries is that considered a slur. This game and this company really IS as bad as the forums and reddit says.

• @captainroger981 said in Ship name issues since last update:

@d3adst1ck You got to be kidding me - lol. But you are right, b/c according to Merriam Webster, in the UK, and the UK ONLY, that word is a slur. No where else in English speaking countries is that considered a slur. This game and this company really IS as bad as the forums and reddit says.

A UK company having a UK slur on a banned word list makes them a bad company? Ok.

• @d3adst1ck Again - Hagrid said it in a PG movie. A movie that was based on UK lore and history. Guess you think Harry Potter and HBP should be rated R for inapproiate language, or at least PG-13? You're argument falls short, considering JKR is a brit and that word was used in her movie.

• @captainroger981 This isn't Harry Potter, Rowling has no say whatsoever and the term is still a derogatory one.

The filters here are the filters for here.

• @triheadedmonkey Ahhh....so when you can't win the argument with logic, you just say that's the way it is. Sure...that's fine. Your game, your forum...but it's our money that keeps the lights on in your office. Do what you want....thanks to you specifically, you just lost an adult who has money, and won't be spending a dime on this game, nor any title Rare comes out with if this is the attitude of the company. Good luck with dat....

@d3adst1ck Again - Hagrid said it in a PG movie. A movie that was based on UK lore and history. Guess you think Harry Potter and HBP should be rated R for inapproiate language, or at least PG-13? You're argument falls short, considering JKR is a brit and that word was used in her movie.

I'm pretty sure he said it in a non derogatory manner if it's the scene I'm thinking about, which means your argument is the one falling short. It can be used as a derogatory word, and since this is a game and players don't need to follow scripts like actors in a movie do, it is banned here.

Are you going to champion unbanning the word for a bundle of sticks because it has an alternate usage?

• @captainroger981 Not my Game, office or lights.

I don't work for Rare, I am a volunteer moderator merely pointing out the facts that what happened in a random film has no basis or influence on a completely unrelated gaming Forum.

lost an adult who has money, and won't be spending a dime on this game, nor any title Rare comes out with if this is the attitude of the company. Good luck with dat....

odd hill to die on for an uncommon word that would likely be used more as an insult than anything else

I'm a big Captaincy supporter (as it was designed) and I love glassing ship names and never want to see that gone but the reality is that it's not rare to see rude/crude/aggressive ship names.

The most common insult I've heard and seen is relevant to how the word in question is used as a slur so imo that makes the filter on it completely understandable.

• But I can have that word in a ship name last time I checked...🤣

• It's even worse. Every ship name I see now is a generic Rare-supplied ship name like "Dampbeards Hauler", "The Rugged Rapier", etc. My own ship name starts out correct, and then eventually turns into a generic Rare name as well! It's been like this for weeks! What's going on here? I've checked my settings many times over and even toggled the streaming settings on/off again. No luck.

• Ik heb nu 1,75m uit gegeven aan namen van booten maar als ik en naam in typ dan staat de naam er en waarneer ik op accepteren klick dan heet die weer als de boot. Iemand iemand ideeën?

• @fatbeard1353 this is happening to me as well I tried server hopping countless times it does nothing, I even saw it change with my own eyes! I hope they get to fixing this sometime soon.

• I am also observing this behavior. Maybe (not hopeful) it will get resolved in Season 10 update.

• Ya this happend to me since the launch of season 7 and now it's changing my guild name.

• As this thread was months old and revived recently, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Aufrufe
15 von 35