The focus of Arena should be sinking ships

• Here's a thought for adding a new arena game mode. Let's pit players in a region with a.i. ships. The ships who sink ships get point, and when you sink a player ship, you get a huge bonus in points. Allow us to pick between brig sloop or galleon, and give us npcs where we van visit to resupply on planks and cannon balls

Views
  • @uribedh
    The arena devs said they wanna make new modes. A pvp mode was mentioned as one of them. U will get ur wish eventually

• At first, I thought you were asking for a deathmatch kind of mode, where you're only sinking other player-controlled ships. To that, I would have said, the game mode would become very boring very quickly, and players would stop playing it. At least as we have it now, we have a bevy of strategy and options for how we try to win. However, you mentioned how all player-controlled ships are actually not hunting each other (although they could), but that they are actually hunting cursed (A.I.-controlled) ships instead. I like this idea so much more.

The only thing I would change about your idea is that I would set it up so that sinking the cursed ship is worth more points than sinking a player ship. That said, the dynamic of how much effort you put into it is an interesting one. For example, your crew puts a lot of holes into the cursed ship, only to have a rival swoop in and steal the kill by sinking it 1st. It adds an extra element to the gameplay, but isn't necessarily fair. To this end, I suggest that you also get a small amount of points for every shot hit on the cursed ship to kind of balance it out more.

• @galactic-geek a dit dans The focus of Arena should be sinking ships :

At first, I thought you were asking for a deathmatch kind of mode, where you're only sinking other player-controlled ships. To that, I would have said, the game mode would become very boring very quickly, and players would stop playing it.

I strongly disagree with that statement, there's nothing boring in PvP and ship battles, in fact it's the most exciting part, especially if there's a good matchmaking system implemented.

• @jetorchidee97 said in The focus of Arena should be sinking ships:

@galactic-geek a dit dans The focus of Arena should be sinking ships :

At first, I thought you were asking for a deathmatch kind of mode, where you're only sinking other player-controlled ships. To that, I would have said, the game mode would become very boring very quickly, and players would stop playing it.

I strongly disagree with that statement, there's nothing boring in PvP and ship battles, in fact it's the most exciting part, especially if there's a good matchmaking system implemented.

Ever heard of too much of a good thing? This is that. If that's all there was, you'd get into a kind of rhythm to how you would attack or sink other ships, because it works well, and once there, it's nothing more than circle, shoot, and sink - trust me, I've been there. It WILL get boring fast. You wouldn't last 2 weeks in a game mode like that before yearning for something more. You think that yearning is bad now? Just you wait.

• @galactic-geek a dit dans The focus of Arena should be sinking ships :

@jetorchidee97 said in The focus of Arena should be sinking ships:

Ever heard of too much of a good thing? This is that. If that's all there was, you'd get into a kind of rhythm to how you would attack or sink other ships, because it works well, and once there, it's nothing more than circle, shoot, and sink - trust me, I've been there. It WILL get boring fast. You wouldn't last 2 weeks in a game mode like that.

Yes but that depends on each person. I mean, with your logic, no multiplayer FPS would be successful. Let's agree to disagree, I think we have divergent opinions and that's fine.

• @galactic-geek said in The focus of Arena should be sinking ships:

@jetorchidee97 said in The focus of Arena should be sinking ships:

Ever heard of too much of a good thing? This is that. If that's all there was, you'd get into a kind of rhythm to how you would attack or sink other ships, because it works well, and once there, it's nothing more than circle, shoot, and sink - trust me, I've been there. It WILL get boring fast. You wouldn't last 2 weeks in a game mode like that before yearning for something more. You think that yearning is bad now? Just you wait.

Like Fortnite, COD or Black Ops how they are simply run in circles, shooting, killing, dying and rinse and repeat? Cuz those games seem to be really popular.

• @contentzilla Those games have a lot of depth and strategy - a good deal more than SoT at any rate.

Views
7 out of 8