Please add a 6 man Frigate

• I have created a blueprint for a potential 4 masted, 5 cannon per side, 4 decked frigate. The ship would support 6-8 players and be 2.5 times larger than the current Galleon. The ship would support 2 rowboats and have a 1080 degree wheel turn radius both left and right. I'll provide more specific details below, but let me know what you think about the design.

The capstan would have a top deck set of 4 pegs and a lower deck set of 4 pegs lined up and turning simultaneously.

The bowsprit at the front of the ship would have a sail attached making it the 4th sail.

The staircase to the lower decks would be made up of 2 staircases starting at the back intersecting and then redirecting towards the center of the ship with lower deck stairs being the standard stairs like the galleon has.

The 2nd mast (the one with the crows nest) would be positioned in front of these stairs and behind the "captains cabin".

The cabin would have a door on the side opposite the 2nd mast. The cabin would contain the cosmetics chests, armory and ammo, map table, and quest table.

In front of the cabin would be a 3rd mast and behind that mast is where the upper portion of the capstan would be.

Behind the capstan would be a set of small stairs on opposite ends of the bowsprit which hangs out over the ship's front end.

2 cannons would be positioned on top deck with full adjustment capacity and extensive range due to the height of the ship. The deck below that would have 3 cannons all sat behind hatches that would close automatically and become inoperable should the deck fill with water. The 2nd level cannons cannot be aimed as well as normal cannons due to limited panning and pitching nor can they fire pirates out.

Once the water in the ship reaches the intersection of the two staircases leading to top deck the ship would scuttle.

At the back of the ship 2 curved staircases would wrap around the 1st mast and the wheel for the ship would be on top of the staircase.

The rowboats would attach at the base of the curved staircases to the side of the ship instead of the back of the ship.

There would be 2 sets of ladders on each side of the ship both aligned in between the to top cannons and the center lower deck cannon.

The kitchen would be at the back of the ship under the curved staircases with a door placed behind the 1st mast. This room would have doors leading outside to a wrap around balcony meant for fishing and a way to access the rowboats.

A "crew quarters" would be under the kitchen behind the stair cases that converge into a single staircase. the room's appearance would be multiple bunked beds built into the frame of the ship and things that seem sea of thieves pirate like scattered about on barrels and tables.

The cannonball barrels would be positioned at the base of the stairs leading to the lower deck and at the front of the ship where the next set of stairs would be leading to the 3rd level. Both sets would be next to a support column in sets of 2 with one on each side of the beam.

Below the cabin on the 2nd level where the cannons are would be another set of stairs leading down to the 3rd level. This set of stairs is the same set that would be between the support columns and next to the cannonball barrels.

The 3rd and 4th levels would look similar to the 2nd level without cannons and instead contain non-interactive barrels. The 3rd level would contain 2 wooden planks barrels positioned near the middle of the ship at the base of the stairs leading to the 2nd level. The 3rd level would also have a jail near the front of the ship behind the stairs

The 4th level would contain a bunch of non-interactive barrels, a staircase at the back of the ship leading to the 3rd level, and lanterns. Very boring part of the ship, but could be used to store treasure. Imagine the 3rd level to the galleon without the jail.

will add the blueprint when I have time to recreate it in a digital format.

edit

here are some sprite blueprints. The colors are meant to represent objects and such. bright green is the floor that you walk on. The orange to brown transition is stairs. Refer to the notes above to determine objects.

Views
  • @wydyadoit around here we call such a ship a man o war, ideas of it’s design and amount of people it takes ranges from opinions, but most we’d like on such a ship is eight.

Also a diagram of your description of your frigate would be helpful

Edit: sorry didn’t read last sentence

• Majority of players plays solo on a sloop so why put tht many effort in development, balancing and all that for a ship that is barely used as Galleons and Brigantines are also barely used.

• @bugaboo-bill dijo en Please add a 6 man Frigate:

Majority of players plays solo on a sloop so why put tht many effort in development, balancing and all that for a ship that is barely used as Galleons and Brigantines are also barely used.

Sad (pretty sad), but true...

• @bugaboo-bill

because when I made the suggestion for a ship smaller than the sloop I got a lot of negative feedback. I would prefer to have a diverse roster of ships personally.

• @weststormborn

I've added some pixel blueprints. it's all i could do on short notice.

• @wydyadoit sagte in Please add a 6 man Frigate:

@bugaboo-bill

because when I made the suggestion for a ship smaller than the sloop I got a lot of negative feedback. I would prefer to have a diverse roster of ships personally.

the thin is soloing shouldnt be incentivized as this is a mp game.
    the whole scaling to please soloers is wrong imho.
    they go solo, everything regarding PvE now is easy as hell in a sloop because they nerfed and scaled everything down for them.

A bigger ship is hard to balance. The 3 ship types are somewhat balanced even for PvP. Its for sure a disadvantage to be in the smaller vessel or to be less pirates, but all ship types have some advanages and can be usefull in PvP.

If you have a ship with 6 or 8 persons, it will be hardly sinkable, just because of the manpower. It will also become very much harder to overwhelm them, like it is very hard to overwehlem a galleone crew solo or as a duo team. But killing 4 is possible.
    Killing 8 is way more difficult.
    A Man o' War will be a ship that cannot be sunk that easy by smaller crews, even if they have tons of cannonballs and such, because the sheer number of the pirates will be hard or even unable to beat.

And as someone said, to have more ships for just having more ships is not a good aproach because we are still talking of a PvEvP Environment.
    That need not to be perfectly balanced reagarding ships and crews, but it should also not completely imbalanced.

And to have balanced disadvantages in a Man o' War this ship needs to be slow and need to have all crewmember have a position to be able to manage the ship.

Sloop has 2 positions to sail the ship, Wheel and Sail.
    You can do that solo and you have 1 cannon on each side.
    Made for 1-2 players.

Brigg has 3 positions, wheel and 2 sails and you have 2 cannons on each side and is made for 3 players, althogh you can sail it solo and as a duo, but you quickly have trouble when it comes to challenging situtions like PvP or Kraken.

Brigg has 4 positions for 4 players. Wheel and 3 sails with 3 cannons on each side. One for every player.
    Play the Galleone with less than 3 and it is a big disadvantage.
    Even with 3 players i found the Brig the way better option.

Now you want 6-8 Players. So dable with 6, but better for 8.
    You would need 7 sails at minimum, because with the Wheel you want to have 8 positions.
    you then wnt to have 8 cannons on each side.
    Thats double of the Galleone.
    Have you ever fired a broadside from a Galleone with 4 players to an arriving Ship?
    Do you know wht happens if i have 8 players on a Man o War with 8 cannons and 8 players shooting at you?

The Ship need to be very slow maneuverable and still then the amount of pirates are just too much to be able to balance.

they can send 6 man boarding while one is on the wheel and another dropping sails or repairing.

I see no way o balance this in any way.

• @bugaboo-bill

i disagree with your assumption that there must be a place for everyone. Even so you're not talking about the specifics of the ship i designed, but instead about a hypothetical ship that you've created. Let's focus on the ship I've created.

Let's talk about the challenge of this ship having 6 players.

first off the ship has 5 cannons (red squares) per side, but only 2 of those cannons can be aimed. That means 3 of those cannons are going to require the ship to rotate and maintain a certain distance in order for those cannons to be effective. instead they'll act as a defense mechanic against smaller ships trying to blitz the ship and will be angled at a downward arc. The upper deck cannons will consist of 2 cannons on each side that can be angled and rotated. The purpose of these cannons is to allow the ship to fire long range at ships attempting to take the ship down from range. However, the top deck cannons will need to be supplied with cannonballs that are on the 2nd deck and with the ship being longer there's more walking to do to get from point A to B.

There are 4 sets of sails with each having a point marked by purple or silver on the diagram for pulleys and length ropes. Notice that those intractables are located at strategic points on the ship so as to require travel time from the cannons and wheel.

The wheel is the yellow rectangle. This is assumed to be manned at most times.

The deeper yellow colored plus symbol is the anchor. It will require 8 players to make it raise as fast as the galleon with 4 being on top deck and 4 being on the second level. Due to the ship's immense size I figured it'd be best to not make the anchor completely broken should it happen to get hit on top deck. with only 4 people pushing the anchor it would take 2.5 x as long as pushing a galleon anchor with 4 people. I feel this would be balanced.

the pink squares on the 2nd level would be cannonballs. notice that they're on the second layer and away from the main cannons. This would require a player to make trips to the cannonballs in order to keep the top cannons firing.

On the 3rd level notice that there are 2 yellow squares. These squares are the only wooden plank barrels on the entire ship and there are 3 layers that need those planks unlike with other ships that only have 1 or 2. This means that you will need a dedicated repair personnel during combat which is guaranteed to eat up a ton of resources. Also unlike the sloop which has reduced flooding on the second level the frigate will sink like a rock should an entire level become flooded due to how many chances there are to make holes in the side of the ship. This is why there are some parts of the wall that are sectioned off with beams to minimize flooding potential. Also, there are a lot of locations below the water line as the ship will start with the lowest deck already submerged in water. meaning that if your cannonball falls short you might still hit level 4.

And bailing the 4th level would be a hard task indeed due to how many layers of the ship you'd have to climb to get up high enough to dump it over the edge.

The ship is meant to be a tank class ship. if the sloop is the scout and the galleon is the warrior then the frigate would be the juggernaut. It's meant to take a lot of hits, but it's slow and bulky.

Yes there are more people, but that doesn't mean the ship can't be balanced. Anything can be balanced given enough time and effort.

6 players too many? not really. 1 on wheel. 2 on top deck cannons. 1 bailing. 1 repairing. 1 supplying cannonballs.

8 players too many? not really. now you have someone else on cannons and a rigger for the front sail. I'd say it's fine.

• @wydyadoit
    trust me when i say that, suddenly and strangely, nobody wants a new ship right now. arguments include "ships are not content" and "galleons are the least used ship." back then, people used to go mad over how there was little ship variety and most community polls back then demanded more ships. i remember when a 3d artist took their time to create a man-o-war one time and it was absolutely praised.

I think a new ship will always be a great addition. i like your detailed blueprints as well.

• @mysticdragon297

I appreciate the positive praise. with all the negativity I was about to consider taking another hiatus from the forums. It's not that I can't accept criticism, but a lot of the reasoning provided were either insults or just bad excuses.

I might stick around and try to come up with more content possibilities. Though, I think I'm done with ships. Maybe I'll create a new mode for arena...

• @wydyadoit thank you for the pixel illustration. When it’s a bit more realistical in visual, I can decipher it better, but I will think about it’s balance for the few minutes between my replies. (Also don’t push yourself to bring a new illustration soon. Do it in your own time)

• @bugaboo-bill one way to have a work around for sails is that you need two people to even move it at “normal” speeds. Also with the design, if not enough people are repair meaning at least three for a semi quick repair that ship is a sinking sitting duck. That leaves three people at wheel and cannons as well as protecting off boarders and that’s with the minimum optimal amount of people. Now if somehow the ship does get a drop on another boat you’re basically dealing with a powerhouse, except when repairs are needed and they have to have a person bailing and repairing. Then, we dwindle down their effectiveness. Sail in their blind spots so they can only shoot two cannons or none.that forces the other people to put effort into sailing or boarding, and if you can make them try to board, bombard them when they are down a few crew mates. They are vulnerable need severe repairs and sinking faster than a heavy stone thrown into the sea.

• @wydyadoit oh my goodness I just thought about the damage a gunpowder can do. The absolute destruction a single powder can undermine an entire crew’s efforts. A gunpowder can kill the person for repair and add four big holes which can seriously fill the ship. And then you have possible damage (depending on where you place it) where you can lower their anchor, leaving them helpless, slow their turning speed even more, or cutting their speed by over half. This ship will get its but kicked with powders in play

• @weststormborn

Yes. That's the downside. There aren't enough people for the ship to constantly be repairing and since the top gun are up so high should a ship get in (or a swimming pirate) the only true defense would be stationary cannons that fire at set intervals across the ships broad sides. That means of course if someone does get in close there are huge disadvantages for the giant. But with that being said you'd have to be sneaky or there'd be a lot of issues with the frigate's crew. 8 sets of eyes and 8 sets of swords/guns makes it so that getting in close would be no small feat. And the ship is relatively safe from long range since it can start firing at larger distances with the upper deck cannons providing longer range with limited fire power.

The ship isn't meant to be chasing. It's meant to be chased, surrounded, and carved away at 1 layer at a time.

I wouldn't make the rigging any more difficult than the galleon for the simple reason that the additional sail already makes it a bit more challenging when considering the distance to walk the ship. It's idealistically 2.5x larger in length and width. You'd never be able to get between small rock formations with it. Though this bad boy would wreck a megalodon, a brigantine, and a ghost ship.

I didn't mean to when initially designing it, but it reminds me of the story of david and goliath - which is kind of funny.

Views
13 out of 14