Still Have Stronghold Key...

• So, I did a goof and didn’t keep my anchor raised, and as a result, after finishing a fort, setting down the key and heading back to the ship, I ended up merging into another server. I feared I lost the key and the loot, but lo and behold the vault is open, and I still have the stronghold key in the place I had previously left it.

I think this definitely needs to be fixed...

Views
  • If this were fixed you'd be out of your key and loot. You got lucky this time. Don't drop your anchor if you can avoid it. This triggers the server merges.

• You had a lucky glitch.

That key will unlock any fort vault. Next fort to spawn just kill all but one skelly and grab some easy loot.

I’ve had this happen. Only once so it’s not too common.

• I don't know if this went undone by anything but the system should prevent a merge if your ship is near an active fort or a fort that still has its loot. (for a cooldown persiod of X amount of time)
    Don't know how the constant fort spawns have affected this.

As @Dadiodude said, this is a boon for you. You can open any fort with it so you still have your loot, but now you can pick it up from under someones nose. Maybe even use that fort keg on a ship already parked there for a great boom :-P

• @pithyrumble

I mean, I could just go to a fort and use the key there and snatch the loot without doing it.

It should be fixed. Cuz people can easily cheese things by doing that, triggering server hops just as a fort ends.

• @hynieth

Yeah I know I could use it for that but to me it don’t exactly feel right? Feels like I’m cheating the system. Tempted to just let my ship head off into the shroud with the key.

• @agent-samuraii Remember it's a pirate game, if we were all vallient knights I could undersstand it, but we're pirates. We use these opportunities for personal gain ^_^

Forts spawn constantly and take literally 10 minutes to clear. If anyone is bothered with it they'll have played for 10 minutes without any in game currency gained.

• @agent-samuraii

This is a game of unparalleled grind. Just go clear a second fort. The difference it’ll make is negligible.

And for fun, watch the next crew tackle the waves only to find an empty vault.

No real problem, they can do the same until the server resets.

• @hynieth

I’m a valiant pirate. The good pirate who doesn’t cheat systems.

• Lol, yes, this is sad. We had the same last week, finished a fort, started collecting loot, when a clever sailsman thought it would be a good idea to move the ship just a bit, to be able to use the harpoon for taking loot on board. He used the anchor to stop the ship, the rest is history.

This sucks.

Apparently Rare uses anchoring as an indication that you are in a safe place and have nothing to do. But this is often not the case! This indication is insufficient.

They could simply mitigate it by excluding a server migration for a short time that starts after certain events, such as

• Kraken was just killed by / near you.
    • Megalodon was just killed by / near you .
    • Ship just been sunk by / near you.
    • Fort has just been conquered by / near you.

Nevertheless, I can think of many other constellations that show that the indication "anchoring == ready for server migration" is completely inadequate.

• The game used to merge you without your fort loot and there were lots of salty pirates. Rare changed it to transport loot in a larger radius to prevent this from happening. Sometimes you get lucky and it happens before you use the key.

There isn't any way to manually trigger this, so its not exploitable. I wouldn't worry about it.

• @agent-samuraii Raise a ticket.

https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

• @agent-samuraii said in Still Have Stronghold Key...:

@hynieth

I’m a valiant pirate. The good pirate who doesn’t cheat systems.

Hey, even a valiant pirate's gotta pay the grog bill from time to time.

Seriously tho, it's more like bank error in your favor, since it's not really the sort of thing that's easily exploitable. The circumstances surrounding it are very, well...rare. It's worth pointing out via the support link, but there's no shame in getting loot the sneaky way. (Besides, the next fort you go to still has to be crawling with skellies and likely pirates, so you'll still have to fight for it-just not as much)

• You keep trying to make a bad game design - what obviously is the case here - look like a feature. I don't share this point of view. Yes, it may happen to everybody, still it is bad code or bad decission.

• @goedecke-michel

? It’s 5 in the morning I’m afraid I don’t understand this. Like to ME it’s cheating the system if one is lucky enough to get that glitch.

Still I put the key on a skeleton ship and let it sink me XD

Views
1 out of 15