Anniversary Update Favourite Moments and Activities

• It’s been 6 weeks!

Yes, you read that correctly; it has been a whole SIX weeks since the Anniversary update and boy what a change it appears to have brought to the Sea of Thieves – along with a lot of new faces both online and here in the forum it would seem!

I was very late the party, having only really started my adventures in the Tall Tales, working for the Hunter’s Call and shudder attempting to battle in the Arena.
    I have to say things are mighty fine for us Piratey folk at present, with lots to do, even more lore than we have ever realised we needed and enough to do now to leave a Pirate ponderin’ at the start of a session!

My question is simple though:

What be ye’ favourite part o’ the new update me hearty?

Now this doesn’t need to necessarily boil down to a binary decision of Tall Tales vs Arena, or even Faction A vs Faction B. There are always those little encounters and events that make your day.

Views
  • For me it is very simple:

Tall Tales is King, while Arena is Queen.

What I mean by that is very simple – I love Tall Tales – it has been glimpsed ever so slightly in the past through Merrick’s quest to find the Hungering One, the various events of the Devil’s Roar and the Skeleton Invasion, but it has always been simple, using existing mechanics.
    Tall Tales has gone waaaay beyond my wildest dreams for bringing lore to the game and, after only 4 tales I have to say I am impressed. New little mechanics, little ways to make you question your skill and think about islands a little more has been a much needed test of my Pirating skill and knowledge of the Sea of Thieves.

And Arena? Queens are as important as Kings and Arena is as important a change to see (I hate to admit…) as Tall Tales – those short bursts of action and a change of playing style was again needed, not only by the bloodthirsty amongst us, but by those who don’t have hours to spend at a time on the Sea – I have played numerous Arena battles now and most of the time they have been right at the end of the night when we have little time left, but still want to play the game.

• As for my favourite moment - I have 2:

1. @J4dio and @Musicmee inviting me to my first Arena match with them - where I loaded in to find they had crashed us into a Seapost... we were stuck... there was no way of winning, but we had a right laugh as boarders attempted to sink us to no avail!
    2. @o-Pixel-Pixie-o forgiving me for accidentally taking a bite out of a chunk of Meg meat rather than throwing it in the pan... there was a puke of shame sat in front of the pan for far longer than I would have liked...
  • Oh @Sshteeve why do you of all people ask the hard questions? I love it all!

I love the thrill of the Arena, finally clashing with other galleons and having all those pirate dreams come true.
    I love the Tall tales, I've completed them all and I'm now a golden boi, love the stories and can't wait for Rare to give us some more!
    I love fishing during downtime, especially now that my commendations for tall tales are done I just stay with the ship while my friends try to find out the clues (it's fun when no-one spoils it for you) and do some fishing.

I think my absolute fave part of this whole update is the ship damage, it adds so much to be able to hit a capstan during a tense battle and get the upper hand, to hit a gunpowder barrel on a ship and disable it completely, to hit the mast in a crux moment see it come crashing down in a moment of almost scenematic greatness.

• @sshteeve

Our main man Beanland "Beano".. has a lot to answer for!!!!

How dare he create such a wonderful sound track to our voyages :)

Seriously the first time we "rocked" up to Tribute... omg.... the music!!
    My spine is still tingling.... wow...epic.

edit: Oppps Spoiler Alert... epic music in game :)

• It's weird but the thing that I appreciated most was the character building storylines that some of the SoT NPC's got. A few of them seem a bit less like clones and more like individuals now that they have a bit of background.

• @viperishemu2992 Aye, for me Suddsy stood out as a one off character and I hope we get to meet him again on our next adventures!

• @sshteeve said in Anniversary Update Favourite Moments and Activities:

It’s been 6 weeks!

Yes, you read that correctly; it has been a whole SIX weeks since the Anniversary update and boy what a change it appears to have brought to the Sea of Thieves – along with a lot of new faces both online and here in the forum it would seem!

I was very late the party, having only really started my adventures in the Tall Tales, working for the Hunter’s Call and shudder attempting to battle in the Arena.
    I have to say things are mighty fine for us Piratey folk at present, with lots to do, even more lore than we have ever realised we needed and enough to do now to leave a Pirate ponderin’ at the start of a session!

My question is simple though:

What be ye’ favourite part o’ the new update me hearty?

Now this doesn’t need to necessarily boil down to a binary decision of Tall Tales vs Arena, or even Faction A vs Faction B. There are always those little encounters and events that make your day.

mine would be arena with me friends has to be that

• @musicmee , @ViperishEmu2992 even Tasha with her tale and how she wants to find a Sloop and leave the Tavern that was "her Father's dream, not hers!"

• My favourite moments have to be being double gunned on the arena over and over as I spawn. I just love it! I play just for this groundbreaking gameplay.
    Let's hope on the next update we call all carry an extra 2 weapons each so I can be shot full of holes even more in the space of 0.1 seconds regardless of the range or any obstacles in the way.
    I want more of it!!!

• @sshteeve said in Anniversary Update Favourite Moments and Activities:

@musicmee , @ViperishEmu2992 even Tasha with her tale and how she wants to find a Sloop and leave the Tavern that was "her Father's dream, not hers!"

a hint of what's to come maybe it might be like Wanda the warsmith

• @needsmokes said in Anniversary Update Favourite Moments and Activities:

My favourite moments have to be being double gunned on the arena over and over as I spawn. I just love it! I play just for this groundbreaking gameplay.
    Let's hope on the next update we call all carry an extra 2 weapons each so I can be shot full of holes even more in the space of 0.1 seconds regardless of the range or any obstacles in the way.
    I want more of it!!!

shure

• @needsmokes now trying to be a little more on-topic and within the spirit with which I intended the topic to be discussed, what is you actual favourite thing there matey?

Shall I assume from your witty response that perhaps you like Arena more than anything else Anniversary has had to offer?
    😛

• @sshteeve

I am enjoying the arena yes 👍😀
    Grinding my way to level 50 with mostly random crews is a challenge in itself haha.

I have yet to really begin with tall tales. Not a huge fan of the hunters call, but it's nice it exists.

• @needsmokes yeah the Call is more of a side-quest for me now, a bit like getting that legendary Cargo Run commendation - it'll get there eventually, but it doesn't take up my session.
    We usually spend some time at the end of the session using up our bait as a nice wind-down... though you can't do that in Arena!

• @ViperishEmu2992 @Sshteeve I agree with the NPC stories. I feel like it gave the world so much more life knowing that these people have stories and voices of their own now. Just the TT in general added a great deal of depth to the world, and I love exploring the islands while I'm hunting critters and fish and reliving those moments in the TT.

More specifically, my favorite moment was the first time my brother saw the new skellies pop, and helping him solve the riddle in the vault at N13 while I lead a chasing brig on a journey to keep him and our shroudbreaker safe. (Some of my finest sailing - sharp turn and full speed through the middle of Thieves Haven to leave them in the dust- video available on my GT)

• I enjoy the Arena very much, but only when I'm in a crew that knows how to play it. I also like fishing and cooking, it gives you something to do when sailing on a voyage.

• @captain-nicklas aye, sailing with pick up groups is not an easy thing in the Arena, especially if you end up with a mute crew.

• @needsmokes said in Anniversary Update Favourite Moments and Activities:

@sshteeve

I am enjoying the arena yes 👍😀
    Grinding my way to level 50 with mostly random crews is a challenge in itself haha.

I have yet to really begin with tall tales. Not a huge fan of the hunters call, but it's nice it exists.

I'm the same as you pirate, only interested in Arena grinding, all with random crews (arena hard mode).
    The first few weeks were the best times, as random ships usually had one or two great players.
    Now, I feel like my grind has slowed and the beatings are taking it's toll.
    But I remain committed to the hard path.

I have done the first four Tales, and earned the Hunters Call fishing pole, tho

• @barnabas-seadog

My favourite arena matches:

Join random crew and have under 5 minutes left to play..
    Rinse and repeat 😁

• @sshteeve Lving everything, especially having a choice of what/where/when depending on the players around to sail. many times recently I've split from normal cruising with fishing, to suddenly do a TT, then finish the night with some Arena madness... the choices are out there, and they are insane at times.

However my favourite part as ever, is just enjoying my times in whatever the Seas throw at me, with my mateys..

Yes that includes chilling fishing, while everyone else is in a tough battle.. just to hear them shout in panic. (Grumpy old pirate comes out then)

My 100% true favourite part of the update is this though :_

WHAT ON EARTH HAS THIS BEAUTIFUL STUDIO GOT NEXT FOR US (in this game) - my jaw does drop.

• To me surprise arena turned out to be less toxic and grieving then adventure. Its the mindset its ok to shoot makes it light and without loot and progress on voyages its ok to sink and just continue without pain. However it is mostly because the short sessions and ability to change server quikly in arena so you can easily avoid toxic crews..

Making lots of new friends adding me after a match to crew up way more friends then after a year on adventure.. the open crew actually works on arena a little for its short action packed and the need to work together and the players desperate search to crew up with nice arena players to be able to win a match.

No stupid monsters on the sea and no game killing or progress killing solo crashes..

But well the best thing is so many players together in tavern in peace mode and on the sea a lot of player encounters making it a fun social experiment:")

My favorit moment was 2 days ago when a guy boarded us but we did not attack him so he start helping bailing water and when we still sunk we swimm to wanderers and dig up a chest and brought it to his boat before they too sank xD it was so weird to have this on wanderers refuge just like with the reaper voyages some players are just friendly in nature and never fire unless fired upon i guess :")

• Honestly the tall tales was the thing that made me happy the most. I hate sounding like a parrot of what others say but.. it made me feel like i was a part of goonies or something... in its own way. It was beautiful from head to toe. Honestly i was expecting at most like a big mission or two but to have as many as they did impressed the heck out of me. Aside from that the harpoon and the ship damage was cool as well. Not really interested in the arena but to each thiet own. Oh... and to quickly add as others have stated it was great putting some story behind alot of the npcs... makes the game feel more alive. Ty dev team.. doing an amazing job imho. Please keep up this level of awesomeness.

• I truly enjoy all of it. So, to pick just one:
    HARPOON GUNS!

I love whenever new tools are added into the game. And it's interesting to test, practice, and learn different ways of using them.
    Snatching up treasure and crew-mates is nice. Using the harpoons to quickly grab all of the loot from a completed fort is quite nice (especially when I finish a fort on my own). Same with the loot from ships and megalodons.
    It really helps in Arena, as well.

And the techniques for high-speed turning on the galleon can be very fun and impressive.

That being said, it is difficult to not simply say Tall Tales, because I'm in love with those as well. I've never felt as much ire against a video game character as I did for Rooke.
    And Fate of the Morningstar is such a brilliantly innovative way to tell a story.
    I could rave about each of the tales, really...

But, yeah, seeing that the addition of fuses on kegs was one of my absolute favourite updates before :D it's not too surprising that harpoon guns would win out for me (when pressed for a single answer).

(Arena and fishing are great as well, but I'm trying to keep this reply 'short'!! LOL)

• Tales first run!
    Want more Tales, more mechanics / tools for sandbox.
    Arena can be fun, but i prefer adventure.

• I'd say Tall Tales was the most essential addition.
    While fishing is my personal favorite.

Views
25 out of 26