Fishing Suggestions

• I have a few suggestions for changes that I think should be made to fishing.

First, I think that the galleon is way too large to only have one cooking station; now while I understand it may provide some unforeseen advantage for the galleon to be able to cook twice as much (if given a second cooking station), I don't think the effect would be that much more dramatic than just encouraging players who are focusing on fishing to fish on the galleon instead of other types of ships. I think that it takes very large amounts of time to cook all of the fish that are caught by a group of four players - especially when you consider that running a four-player galleon almost always leaves one person time to fish between voyages.

Another idea I had to remedy this problem across all ship types would be allowing players to cook two small fish in a single cooking station at a time, for a time period longer than that of cooking just one, but still quicker than cooking them both seperately. This would not only speed up cooking and make it a more feasible task (as opposed to a novel one), but it would also encourage players to keep catching smaller fish and to stock up on them to cook faster.

I've also had the thought of putting a cooking station at seaposts. I see potential problems with this, though. First, I think it would cause fishermen to crowd up at the seaposts, but that's virtually what most people do anyways by just staying on their ships to cook there. With that said, I imagine it could foster some more friendly interactions by bringing the (mostly) peaceful fishermen to seaposts to interact. Second, I understand that putting the loot and the turn in point at the same position might make it a little too easy on the player to max out on Hunter's Call and get to Pirate Legend quicker than via other factions. I just wanted to add this in here to give my input on it, as I'm sure it has been suggested plenty, but I can see plently of pros and cons for it and would not be opposed either way.

I also think it would be really cool if we could catch sharks somehow. My initial thought when I caught one of my first fish was that, since I could throw it back in, I might be able to catch a shark. That was not the case, however; I had just thrown it back in the water. Seeing as there's no advantage to dropping a fish back into the water, why not take that function and make it useful by allowing you to use a fish as bait for catching sharks? Sharks could be drastically harder to catch, and may not even need to yield as much food as they currently do when they're killed, but I still think that it would be an awesome addition if you could catch them and cook them.

Another suggestion I have would be fishing on the Ferry of the Damned. I think it would be awesome to be able to catch fish on the boat while you wait, and since it's a peaceful place (no PvP obviously), it would be a good place to foster some friendly connections between players, even if it's just while they wait until the door opens for them to leave. Others could stay on the ferry and catch as many fish as they can hold. My idea would even be to only allow people to catch fish's skeletons to fit the theme of the Ferry, but you guys could be as creative as you'd like with it; ghost fish, skeleton fish, glowing fish, etc.

Finally, I think that there should be a tackle/bait box. There are crates for all types of fruit, cannon balls, and wood planks, but there's no way to store bait or fish. I don't necessarily think that we need a crate that holds fish -while that would be nice, I'm primarily suggesting that we have a crate for bait so avid fishermen have an easily accessible box for what they need on and off the ship, not to mention it would make looting bait much more efficient.

That's all I can think of for now though. Make sure to upvote this thread if you agree at all, and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions below and I'll be sure to add them! Thanks for reading.

Views
  • @snarinaaron said in Fishing Suggestions:

First, I think that the galleon is way too large to only have one cooking station

I'm against giving the galleon more than one cooking station. The galleon already has a huge deal of benefits relative to the other ships. If a crew really wants to mass cook, stop by and island and use it's multiple cooking stations. I'm pretty sure that's why they put them in the game to begin with

@snarinaaron said in Fishing Suggestions:

Another idea I had to remedy this problem across all ship types would be allowing players to cook two small fish in a single cooking station at a time

I don't think cooking needs to be sped up either. The degree to which players have access to extremely effective healing food is already massive inflated and it's not like cooking takes that long as things stand. It's less than a minute for a small fish. If someone really wants to speed up cooking, then stop by and island and use multiple cooking stations to cook multiple things at simultaneously.

I've also had the thought of putting a cooking station at seaposts.

I'm pretty sure Seaposts already have cooking stations. Or at least some of them.

I also think it would be really cool if we could catch sharks somehow.

You kill them instead of catching them. Killing sharks drops shark meat.

Another suggestion I have would be fishing on the Ferry of the Damned.

This goes against the ethos of SoT, since it'd basically allow players to fish with immunity to other players. Nothing in this game should be completely risk free

Finally, I think that there should be a tackle/bait box.

This is actually an alright idea. I'm not sure if it's really needed, as taking a trip downstairs to the food barrel for more bait isn't really much of a chore and carrying 10 bait at a time is plenty enough for stocking up on islands, but it's still a neat idea

• I think they need to also Make bigger fish where you can use splash tails as bait to catch them

• Not more cooking pots please. Use islands there are multiple pots to cook and u can cook 3 or 4 items at same time even solo.

This evens it for all crew sizes. 1 on ship and if u want u can do multiple on islands. Good balance.

I like baitbox
    I like FoD fishing

I like using fish to catch shark. Hell i would catch the shark just lure it and have a shark defendee gaurding my ship. Me love this idea of throwing back your fish to lure a shark!

• Cool ideas. I would like more cooking stations, but I get why they can't happen. I'm down for having more complexity in cooking. Like if you add a second fish, the cues look slightly different and the timing gets randomized a bit and even further tightened (perhaps they may not even be done at the same time). So, if you're not on your game you could easily burn both. (What I really want is recipes and combining ingredients)

Fishing on the ferry makes a lot of sense. What I would do (and would never happen with reason) is allow you to catch and cook "ghost" versions of all the fish with an infinite tackle box on the ferry. Eating the fish on the ferry can grant you full regeneration going back from the ferry (I think it's a fair trade for being away from the boat - if something dangerous is camping your ship then all the more reason to allow this), but the uneaten/uncooked ghost fish all disappear from your inventory once you return to the real world. Great for when you really just need a break and chill, turns the ferry into a kind of very light social space (it already always could be this), but doesn't give you any material benefits.

I like the tackle box.

I REALLY like the shark idea. I especially like that you could use splashtails for live bait or throw em back in to chum the waters. Seems like a fun way to kind of make the waters dangerous around an enemy ship for example. I'd even expand it a bit. Add an aquarium in the Captain's quarters. A number of trophy fish or 1 shark (which will eat any other fish you have inside) can be stored in the aquarium to just chill out and live for the journey (yea.. kinda inhumane for the shark.. but better than just killing the thing o.o). Beyond that, tie another type of merchant guild quest to this where they task you to chase down and deliver specific live fish, up to and including live sharks.

Dang it, I talked too much again. Anyway, good ideas!

Views
1 out of 6