It finally happened. I am on of "those" pirates

• I got the game for Christmas and it consumed my life. We are talking 8-9 hours session 7 days a week. For me, that like a 500% increase in game playing. I eventually bought a second Xbox One so that my wife and i could play together. Our mindset has always been: " I know how it feels to be sunk for no reason. It sucks, and we don't want to do that to people."

So since we got the game we avoided PvP, left noobs alone, generally di not mess with people. Luckily the PvE gave us enough to deal with that we never really minded. Well last night that all changed. Our crew sunk 4 ships and swiped loot from 2 others. Our game had elevated to the point of "Sails down, anchors down, lanterns on; Let's get these noobs"

I felt dirty afterwards. Like i had just pooped on these guys the way I used to. however, the logical part of my brain pointed out that is simply the progression of the game. Even if our crew is not one of the bloodthirsty, shoot on sight ships; taking on other crews and sinking players is just the next step. I am in a transitional period between wanting to alliance with every ship i see and remain peaceful and "I wonder what they have on board"

Probably not anything special to anyone else, but this was a big pirate moment for me. I finally lived up to the hashtag. I was more Pirate.

Views
  • I generally play for a couple hours minding my own, but the course of the session dictates how I play. If I just get sunk, I get more aggressive-or if I'm just about to sign off for the night and am not interested in starting a new quest, but see a ship on the horizon, chances are I'll attack it.

The other night I was doing a cargo run solo, and it passed near a skull fort. As luck would have it, a crew had just cleared it as I was passing by, so I figured I would try my luck and did a sail-by. It was a well disciplined crew, so I figured I had no chance and decided to just keep going about my business. Apparently, I spooked them tho as they took off shortly after, so I went back to the island myself and saw that the treasure room had all the loot minus the fort specific stuff still inside. Just the right amount of aggression paid off richly!

• @demonichedgehog haha! Good! I think we need more people actually pirating. I feel I encounter aggression far too little when doing solo runs.

I have to go looking for trouble if I want any. Then, most of the people are super nice and I just feel bad attacking them!

No hard feelings if you guys ever sink me... Bring it on! :D

I actually try to keep a few chests or a cargo run on board, just so there's a prize if someone sinks me.

• Congrats on your the next step in your pirating journey. My crew and i play every night and we actively search for others ships to fight. Not only for the thrill and the experience, but also because we enjoy making stories for those who we engage and fight with. Eventually after digging up chest and simply grinding for chest and such, people become complicit. But, when you have to fight for what you obtained, it adds a certain value to what you have.

Good luck and i hope to see you on the seas!

-Crew of the Howling Erebus

• @doctorfork haha... That's great! Sometimes people's risk aversion can be quite beneficial.

I had that happen once on an island, and the guys left 4 captains chests sitting on the shore. Though, made me regret not chasing, wondering what they were preserving onboard.

• @demonichedgehog said in It finally happened. I am on of "those" pirates:

I got the game for Christmas and it consumed my life. We are talking 8-9 hours session 7 days a week. For me, that like a 500% increase in game playing. I eventually bought a second Xbox One so that my wife and i could play together. Our mindset has always been: " I know how it feels to be sunk for no reason. It sucks, and we don't want to do that to people."

So since we got the game we avoided PvP, left noobs alone, generally di not mess with people. Luckily the PvE gave us enough to deal with that we never really minded. Well last night that all changed. Our crew sunk 4 ships and swiped loot from 2 others. Our game had elevated to the point of "Sails down, anchors down, lanterns on; Let's get these noobs"

I felt dirty afterwards. Like i had just pooped on these guys the way I used to. however, the logical part of my brain pointed out that is simply the progression of the game. Even if our crew is not one of the bloodthirsty, shoot on sight ships; taking on other crews and sinking players is just the next step. I am in a transitional period between wanting to alliance with every ship i see and remain peaceful and "I wonder what they have on board"

Probably not anything special to anyone else, but this was a big pirate moment for me. I finally lived up to the hashtag. I was more Pirate.

It's ok...This is an acceptable guilty pleasure in SOT. I constantly switch between helpful pirate and vengeful scoundrel.

• I actually try to keep a few chests or a cargo run on board, just so there's a prize if someone sinks me.

I really like this approach. I'll probably start doing the same. Usually my mates and I just keep a lucky chicken on the boat, which is not a great reward. (Unless the chicken really is lucky-which has been the case sometimes).

• @doctorfork lolol! If I come across a cage, I always have a chicken navigator on the bowsprit. It's always at attention!

Views
1 out of 8