Top Ten ideas that never made it into the Game by Gregg Mayles - Creative Director at Rare Ltd

• Compiled into one easy to read location by Sea of News or read on!

Top Ten Bad Ideas that never made it

From Mike -

I hope all the design thoughts from #SeaOfThieves show a side of design often overlooked - ideas mean very little without quality execution. There are often many great elements in cut features. It's the game designer's role to make a tough call for the good of the overall game.

No 10.

No 9.

No 8.

No 7.

No 6.

No 5.

No 4.

No 3.

No 2.

No 1.

Views
  • @katttruewalker I have been following this for a while and was actually coming here to do exactly this! haha I love these, their are a few I actually like. Poking stick and Repair hammer would be fun, and the Shop opening and closing times would bring a cool realism to the world

• I actually like some of these :D

A personal bedroom and getting tired and need sleep and opening times for shops..

I like this needs more planning and thinking and timing. Feel more real adventure.

• That ship in a bottle concept! Has me excited for the future possibilities... especially in the Pirate Legend Hideout!

https://gph.is/1LByBOj

• @katttruewalker

Thank you for sharing these here!!

Oh, I'd still like to have a personal place into the game to show our crewmates or anyone else what we have accomplished. While yeah, I think a bedroom is a bit too much, but cave would probable fit :D

• @katttruewalker them graphics don’t look right it looks plain.

• So they did have the 80% more content they just somehow justified throwing it all away because of the many arbitrary and fixable with a “git gud” excuses they made for us clearly incapable players... lol.

Some of this stuff sounds a lot more fun and intelligent to add than the game we have with cosmetics all the same price and gold having no purpose and no real captains or progression, currently provides.

Its like they had a plan for this game at one point. What in gods name happened..

• The shops look like milk cartons lol

• Thanks for compiling these in one spot... I loved following him on Twitter, and it really does illustrate how game design works... There is so much iteration, the game you end up making comes from that more than anything. From a player perspective, it feels like "how can you not know the game you're going to make when you start?" And this shows why!

Super educational an inspirational, at least for me!

• I still want the monkey in the widow somewhere.

• @xxxpirate01 said in Top Ten ideas that never made it into the Game by Gregg Mayles - Creative Director at Rare Ltd:

@katttruewalker them graphics don’t look right it looks plain.

These are taken from the prototype build waaaaaay back around 2015

• @musicmee That is another one that excited me, could be a cool way to have ship ownership and customisation in PL Hideout. Maybe take your bottle ship (Heh... you sunk my bottleship) to the shipwright and have it customised, and then pour it in the water for your ship to arise!

https://data.whicdn.com/images/307353841/original.gif

• Shame these ideas sound like they could’ve made a game. Instead we have this lol

• I always wanted a personal hideout, still wish we did. I guess I can understand why they went against it.
    But then again that is exactly what the PL hideout is anyway and that doesn’t get abused and the things they where concerned about could have easily been remedied.

Give us hideout!!! 😂

• @katttruewalker Awesome! Cheers for this Katt!

• A bank, you had a bank? And you had insurance and way to put yourself away from other pirates such as homes. How can I get you all to restart on these bad ideas?

Views
1 out of 16