World Book Day 2019! What are your favourite pirate books? Let's create a library!

• There's a wealth of pirate themed books -
    fiction, non fiction, picture books and poetry -
    show us your favourites and let's share some of our favourites!

Starting off with that classic by Daniel Defoe writing as Captain Charles Johnson 'A General History of the Pyrates' - full of everything you need to know about the great pirates from the Golden Age of Piracy! This one is available on Google Books for free!

Moving on to

'The Buccaneers of America' by Alexander O. Exquemelin it's an account written by a barber surgeon who sailed with Henry Morgan among others during the 17th century.

Finally a firm favourite for the wonderful illustrations drawn by Sebastiá Serra -

'A Pirate's Night Before Christmas' by Philip Yates

Views
  • @katttruewalker

I remember as a child reading Moonfleet by J . Meade Falkner

It stirred an early interest in the piratical life . I believe in the UK there was even a short BBC Children TV adaptation in the 80's of this, & of course the film version from the 50's was very special. But not as special as the great book I had the opportunity to read as a young whippersnapper.

• @piratecraggy Oh wow, talk about memories, I'd forgotten all about this classic story, thanks for sharing!

• And for those of you with younger pirates....

... saw this in a book shop a couple of days ago.

• @musicmee Lets face it, who doesn't love underpants! LOL

• My favourite books/fictional world will always be Tolkien’s and while not necessarily pirates there are a nation of pirates in the world called the Corsairs of Umbar who have a pretty good history and Story to them. :)

• @KattTruewalker
    Pirate wise, i'd say Treasure Island

• @eredhar Another absolute classic :)

• @musicmee

I like the look of this one .... Snugglers Bae...on the cover :)

• Athena's Fortune.....

• Great books everyone, I might have to find a few of those and start reading. When I was i middle school, the Pirate Hunter trilogy was my jam -- so good. In early high school, I discovered the Isle of Swords -- also quite a fun read.

alt text
    alt text

• @piratecraggy Hahahaah! Awesome!

@mr-dragon-raaar I don't think I've come across these before, they look interesting! Also agree with you both @EGGamer13, how could i forget Athena's Fortune!

@vorondil1 Actually they remind me of the Jack Sparrow book series, bit hard to come by these days but they're one of my son's favourites :)

• @katttruewalker

Yip... Dinosaur Pirates confirmed on "Snugglers Bae" for the "Mega" update...lol :)

• @eredhar Reading this again right now! Girlfriend bought a limited edition for me when I reached PL a while back and I just picked it up again to dive into.

• Currently reading a great tale of piracy, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. The last time I read it was in school over 30 years ago.

Robert Louis Stevenson - Treasure Island

• My favorite writer of all time wrote a full manuscript that was published after his death.

A lot of his works have made amazing movies and series (Jurassic Park, Westworld and a few bad ones (cough Timeline) and I really hope this gets made into a not-for-children pirate adventure!

alt text

• @m1sterpunch ah I love Michael Crichton! Sphere might have been one of the first books I ever read that legitimately spooked me. And of course classics like Jurassic Park, Timeline, Andromeda Strain, etc. Never saw this one before, 100% getting it asap!

• @vorondil1 said in World Book Day 2019! What are your favourite pirate books? Let's create a library!:

@m1sterpunch ah I love Michael Crichton! Sphere might have been one of the first books I ever read that legitimately spooked me. And of course classics like Jurassic Park, Timeline, Andromeda Strain, etc. Never saw this one before, 100% getting it asap!

Timeline (the book, not movie) used to me my favorite but this one nudged it out. Also, if you're a fan of Sphere, I suggest playing Subnautica if you haven't yet. It's got that same vibe!

• Quite shocked that no one's mentioned On Stranger Tides, but for me, It has to be Treasure Island.
    It's just, for me, the pirate book.

Everyone's postin' the book covers, so I'll just forego another one, and post the song instead;

• I enjoy non-fiction books about historical female pirates. Imagine the adversities they had to overcome to be a pirate leader! To be feared and respected! -)

TQQdles™

• Seconding On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers if you're interested in modern pirate fiction- you can see its influences on both Monkey Island and Pirates of the Caribbean!

For a good historical book about piracy in the Atlantic, I'll toss out Villains Of All Nations by Marcus Rediker. :)

I'll have to look into the Ching Shih book myself, she's really interesting

Views
20 out of 21