Is SoT adding more Crossplay Platforms?

• Microsoft is indicating they are expanding xbox live services to Switch, iOS and Android.

I know the picture is just what forbes picked, but, is there a sea of leaks moment here?

I hope the announcement tomorrow on inside xbox reveals more platforms, our neighbors would totally sail with us on their switch.

Views
  • This game is using the Universal Windows Platform framework. It's basically locked to Windows / XBox services only. I'm pretty sure it will not be portable to the Switch without a major rewrite.

However, I think adoption of UWP is kind of bombing for games so they may be going in a different direction.

• @d3adst1ck
    I know they are using UWP to package the game, but if it's based in Unreal (which I think it is, based of course on the launch screens, and behind the scenes videos) they can package it for:

switch
    ios
    android

I think the xbox live services is the key point to making this happen, but of course this is only a view from outside of Rare.
    I'm no expert, but it appears it can work?

(also makes more sense why they are now allowing crossplay preferences)

• Yeah the majority of the game is using Unreal. Removing the UWP specific stuff may be possible, but this seems more like a move for future titles rather than retrofitting games that have already released.

Rare has previously mentioned that they have "one build" that is used for both platforms - I don't know if that would even be possible if they deploy to more and more platforms, especially ones as different as the Switch and mobile devices.

• @dyfrin

Everything I've been reading about Xbox and Phil Spencer recently seems to suggest that they envisage a future where games aren't tied to a particular platform, there's a quote I've seen him use which I can't find now, but with their idea for a 'netflix of games', the cloud streaming of games and yes, even play anywhere and crossplay just seems to suggest that they see the future in appealing to all gamers and not just those who use an Xbox console.

I have to say I'm sceptical given my experience already with the Xbox app/ms store etc etc.

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/xbox-live-growing-engaging-your-gaming-community-across-ios-android-switch-xbox-and-pc-presented-by-microsoft/865429

• If SoT goes mobile I will flush my phone down the toilet.

• @boomtownboss Honestly now I hope they do just so that I can come back and pretend to try to force you to do so

• @vorondil1 I will come back here with video of phone in toilet. And an eviction notice from my landlord.

• @dyfrin said in Is SoT adding more Crossplay Platforms?:

Microsoft is indicating they are expanding xbox live services to Switch, iOS and Android.

I know the picture is just what forbes picked, but, is there a sea of leaks moment here?

I hope the announcement tomorrow on inside xbox reveals more platforms, our neighbors would totally sail with us on their switch.

You are reading way too much into this. They are not going to port the games over to these systems (especially first party exclusives), let's get that straight.

What they are talking about is being able to stream the game to other platforms (like PS Now does for example), specifically iOS and Android. It is also expanding Live to other platforms, meaning friends lists and purchases would carry over among other things. How any of this relates to the Switch remains to be seen, I cannot really see Nintendo allowing Xbox games (or even PC games for that matter) streaming onto their system but isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. But I can guarantee that none of this means any Microsoft game is being ported to another system, that is ludicrous.

• Maybe we'll at least get an iOS app called "Sea of Thieves Pet & Cargo Feeding App" to tend to your animals while you're afk :)

Views
1 out of 10