Cannon Ball Grapple Hook & Rope Swing Boarding

• Since this has been suggested already, here's is an implementation strategy.

I know I am not alone in saying, grappling ships together for a boarding battle would be an awesome experience in this game.

Cannon Ball Grapple Hook: The function of this cannon ball type would be to tie the fates of two ships together (See below image).

• This cannon ball would need to be found in the world, similarly to the cursed cannonballs (or perhaps it could just become a new cursed cannonball in the world)

Mechanics:

• list item Ships direction will align parallel to each other.
    • The direction of the ships will be the mean of both ships (if one ship is turned all the way to the right, and the other ship is going straight, both ships will veer slightly to right.
    • Speed of the ships will depend on how the sails are of course. Average of both ships (So for example, below picture if ships are with the wind, they would both travel half speed)
    • only way to break away is if one ship turns all the way away from other ship, or if one ship sinks.

alt text

Rope swing: The rope swing could be useful when ships are hooked together as above. However, separately it would still be useful if you are passing by another ship and a cannon is just not effective at that short range for boarding purposes.
    *The only way to use is to climb up on sails, there is a rope up top, just below the crows nest.
    *You hold X (or Use button) on rope, then you have to jump and get your trajectory just right. Press A (jump button) to let go.
    *You hold on until you let go, and you lose momentum. Or if you use your left joystick (back and forward buttons) to you can regain.

I was trying to find a photo to capture my above meaning, but nothing expresses the communities need to role-play pirate like the below XD

Views
  • @enginefear I like the way you put this! And for breaking away instead of turning away let's say cut the rope from the cannon, but make it like a 8 sec cut so people can still interrupt.

Also let's say one ship grapples another (I'd call it a harpoon) and the ship that shot the harpoon hits anchor, and that would stop both ships and the harpoon would reel in the other ship so it's like your picture?

Would love to swing around while we sail hahaha

• @smokintediz Definitely,

I am more looking for those close encounter battles, where everyone is just yelling at each other and shooting cannons.

Views
1 out of 3