A Lyrical Lore Drop!

• Avast, ye scalawags! Captain Blackeye here with his first ever lore-oriented topic!
    In order to ease people into this, I'm starting with something simple that everyone can enjoy. Even those that don't want to dig deep into the dark, mysterious caverns that is the secrets of the Sea of Thieves.

Today, I will be revealing something that is very often overlooked in the game: The shanties. More specifically, the hidden lyrics behind them. Now, I'm sure a lot of you attentive scoundrels have already figured this out, but I myself only discovered these lyrics about a month or two ago myself.
    To begin, the lyrics are found in two places. One accessible to all, and one not.
    Option #1: "Tales from the Sea of Thieves". You've seen that journal Rare put up for sale that once belonged to Captain Flameheart himself, right? Yes? No? Regardless, within it lie the words to the shanties in their earliest inked form. Unfortunately, only those willing to trade in their hard earned (real-world) gold are able to grace their eyes with these pages. Fortunately, that brings us to...

Option #2: The Journals. Yes, those pretty, pink little journals conspicuously scattered across the various islands within the Devil's Shroud. Some of them provide extra treasure maps. Some tell the tales of pirates of the author's time. And some... Contain shanty lyrics. That's correct! Lyrics to sing to your favorite concertina tunes! The full lyrics will be posted below, but allow me to first briefly summarize these wonderful melodic words myself.
    (Note: Merrick's Tune and "Ride of the Valkyrie" do not have their own lyrics as of this post. If anyone can prove me wrong, please do! ^_^ )!

• Grogg Mayles: Ah, Grogg Mayles. The terrible tyrannical terror of the ocean blue. This song describes this terrible pirate legend in all of his ill-gotten glory. A live rendition can be found here, courtesy of The Skullduggers at E3 2016! Bravo!

• Bosun Bill: This shanty tells the sorrowful tale of the unfortunately unlucky Bosun Bill. The lyrics follow him as he discovers himself a spectacular treasure hoard, but manages to botch it all up nonetheless. Another live (albeit only instrumental) rendition can be found here, once again provided by The Skullduggers at E3. Encore!

• Becalmed: Now this shanty has some history behind it! This ever-peaceful melody was crafted by the faithful crew of Captain Flameheart, before that were cursed into skellies. And I quote, from Flameheart's journal...
      "A little over a week from the outpost and we find ourselves becalmed. There is no wind to bring life to the sails, and so the ship bobs listlessly. Without the wind there is an unnatural silence to the sea...
      ...Thankfully, it turns out the crew are quite talented at creating a shanty and have come up with just such a one for this occasion. I have transcribed the lyrics here. The crew are very pleased it is being recorded for posterity and hope for it to become a common tune all across the Sea of Thieves."
      Listen to this passionate, peaceful performance here.

• We Shall Sail Together: Okay, if ya don't know this one... Where ya been, mate?! Practically the theme song of Sea of Thieves, this spectacular track finds its home in the instruments of Pirate Legends. I know these lyrics are blatantly obvious, but I thought I'd include them since some pirates learn best by reading. Use the lyrics to sing along as you reveal the passageway into the mythical Tavern of Legends! And heck, sing along here too!

And now for the lyrics! In order to match the above list for your viewing comfort.

Grogg Mayles:
    There's a tale of old the sea dogs told,
    'bout the most fearsome marauder.
    He was such a brute, he'd nick all your loot
    Then he'd sail off with your daughter.

Who's this loathsome rat, ye say,
    Who sailed the seven seas?
    He'd take on all the merchant ships
    And bring them to their knees.

Grogg Mayles! Grogg Mayles!
    Black hearted to the core.
    The gold he did adore.

With a hand on the wheel and the other on his sword.
    You'd get strung up if you glanced at his hoard.
    Yes he was properly 'ard as nails and they call him
    Grogg Mayles.

Now I get the feelin' you're not hearin'
    How frightening he would be!
    He could skin your chest right through your vest
    While he cutlassed off your knees.

He'd plough his ship through storm and sea
    No other pirate dared.
    He'd plunder all the lubber's loot,
    No treasure chest was spared!

Black hearted to the core.
    Pirate provocateur.

Now is he dead? 'Cos we're not sure.
    I thought I saw him at the tavern next door.
    Yes he is rather fond of ale
    And they call him Grogory Mayles!

Bosun Bill:
    Bosun Bill was known throughout the port
    A truly dreadful pirate who was always getting caught
    Not one scheme for stealing could he hatch
    'cause someone would spot
    the treasure he'd got
    And Bill they'd snatch!

One day Bill awoke lying on a distant beach
    The last of his grog was just out of reach.
    He groped around with trembling hands
    And stuck something in the sand!

He'd stumbled upon a part.
    Of an ancient chart
    Stained and torn, the old map told
    The way to find a stash of buried gold, so...

Bosun Bill, set out to find a crew
    But everyone he asked replied "I'll never sail with you!"
    'Til at last, he plied a man with ale
    To lend him his craft,
    a rickety raft
    Then Bill set sail!

All by himself, Bill trembled in the dark
    He lost both his boots and hat to a shark
    He followed the chart 'til at last he saw
    The gleam of a far-off shore.

The trail led into a cave
    Silent as the grave
    Bill stood gaping at what he saw
    A hoard of treasure piled from roof to floor.

Bosun Bill stuffed treasure into his sack
    He loaded up the boat, but he heard a mighty crack
    He'd taken to much plunder when he should have kept it light
    The raft and all the gold sank out of sight.

Bosun Bill let out a terrible curse
    He'd had a chance at glory but he'd only come out worse!
    To this day, he's trapped on the island still
    Not very clever,
    Worst pirate ever,
    It's Booo... Sun.... Bill!

Becalmed:
    Our ship, she dreams of wind in her sails, of wind in her sails unfurld
    And shining as we cross the sea, we cross the sea for home.
    Then we'll all raise our voices, a song in our hearts
    And set our eyes on distant shores with wind in her sails again.

There'll be cheering and calling
    No more squabbling and brawling
    When we have the wind in our sails.

When we have our feet on the ground
    We'll sow our good fortune around

There'll be feasting and pleasure
    No more rationing and measure
    When we have the wind in our sails.

We Shall Sail Together:
    Cloaked in folds of midnight waters
    Side by side, we sons and daughters
    We set forth for no king's orders,
    But we'll sail together.

Hold fast! Tides are turning.
    Flames roar, fires are burning.
    We'll all be returning
    If we sail together.

All on the waves shall know our story,
    Sing of the battles fought ashore, we
    All shall thrive on fame and glory
    When we sail together.

Words of warning have been spoken,
    Ancient creatures have awoken.
    Still, until our bond is broken,
    We shall sail together!

Aaand that's the lot of 'em. Whew! Two hours of typing and a Monster Energy sure go a long way! Enjoy these fantastical shanties, courtesy of Captain Blackeye, the (currently) unofficial lorekeeper of the Sea of Thieves!

Views
  • Never would have guess these had lyrics. I'm already singing these shanties with my mates!

• Cooley-o

• @BlackeyeThe2nd and all who sail the Sea of Thieves,
    As a partner of BlackeyeThe2nd on many occasions we have encountered and wondered about the story behind objects placed by the makers, especially hints into what the future holds. We have had great "What if" questions when we find a mistake in the game or an intentional Easter egg that everyone mearly recognizes. To find these answers we started into a deep dive to get to the bottom of the Sea of Lore.

Views
1 out of 4