The Brig Is Too Fast

• As a solo sloop I usually just avoid brigs entirely because they always seem a lot more organized than galleons, never won against one once while solo. But yesterday I was about to log off anyway so I figured I would deliver this lonely gunpowder barrel to a near by brig before quitting. Then I found out there is absolutely no way for me to catch up to a brig.

They were fully parked at an island and I was close enough for the little island prompt thing to pop up. That was when the hour long chase started. I followed them in circles until finally they started going straight and there was nothing I could do. It didn't matter if I had wind or not.

With a sloop we're evenly match on speed, galleons are faster but clumsy enough for me to out maneuver usually, but I can't catch a brig that doesn't wanna be messed with.

tl;dr nerf the brig please

Views
  • @lu-loop2 dijo en The Brig Is Too Fast:

As a solo sloop I usually just avoid brigs entirely because they always seem a lot more organized than galleons, never won against one once while solo. But yesterday I was about to log off anyway so I figured I would deliver this lonely gunpowder barrel to a near by brig before quitting. Then I found out there is absolutely no way for me to catch up to a brig.

They were fully parked at an island and I was close enough for the little island prompt thing to pop up. That was when the hour long chase started. I followed them in circles until finally they started going straight and there was nothing I could do. It didn't matter if I had wind or not.

With a sloop we're evenly match on speed, galleons are faster but clumsy enough for me to out maneuver usually, but I can't catch a brig that doesn't wanna be messed with.

So, if I understand, you want that a single person sloop can pair with a 3 or 4 man crew coordinated in bigger ships in not only maneuverability but also in speed. Now Ill let you think about how %&$@ that sounds...

• @amancebacabras said in The Brig Is Too Fast:

@lu-loop2 dijo en The Brig Is Too Fast:

As a solo sloop I usually just avoid brigs entirely because they always seem a lot more organized than galleons, never won against one once while solo. But yesterday I was about to log off anyway so I figured I would deliver this lonely gunpowder barrel to a near by brig before quitting. Then I found out there is absolutely no way for me to catch up to a brig.

So, if I understand, you want that a single person sloop can pair with a 3 or 4 man crew coordinated in bigger ships in not only maneuverability but also in speed. Now Ill let you think about how %&$@ that sounds...

I just want the brig toned down since it doesn't have any weaknesses at the moment. I haven't even seen a galleon in like a week.

And also in real life a sloop would be faster than both anyway.

• @lu-loop2 said in The Brig Is Too Fast:

And also in real life a sloop would be faster than both anyway.

Would it be? I’m pretty sure the maximum speed of a sailing ship is based on it’s water displacement or something similar. Which suggests a bigger ship with sails to match would have a higher top speed.

Either way dude the game is designed so that ships get a bigger speed boost when sailing with the wind, as well as bigger ships being faster than smaller ships with the wind.

The smaller the ship, the faster it is against the wind but not by much. So compared to sailing with the wind it is considerably harder to catch another ship, so when you’re chasing a brigantine all it has to do is sail with the wind that get away.

The bottom line is, whoever is in the bigger ship is the hunter. You should not be able to catch other ships easily in the sloop, where as you are offered the option of sailing against the wind if you want to escape.

I would like to add that I do agree with you, the sloop is painstakingly slow.

• @lu-loop2 said in The Brig Is Too Fast:

I just want the brig toned down since it doesn't have any weaknesses at the moment.

This is untrue. The brigantine shares the exact same weakness as the sloop, in that it only has one deck below surface level. This means that any shot against the brig will result in it taking on water. Couple this with the fact that the brig is a less manoeuvrable target, as well as being a bigger target with more hit boxes than a sloop, it is clear that the brigantine has it’s weaknesses.

If a galleon and a brig clashed in a consensual fight to the death, then the only advantages a brig has over a sloop is an extra cannon and an extra crew member( which actually counts for quite a bit).

As a final note both the brigantine and the sloop sit lower in the water, making it easier to directly fire on their crew members to kill them or knock them, off their ship.

• @lu-loop2

I’d just like to add that I think your post was a bit short sighted due to the emotion of your recent negative game experiences, as a result I think you’re being too h*****n the brigantine without offering any logical reasoning why you think it should be nerfed.

I do not think it should be nerfed, as I am sure more ships will be added to the game in the future and I am certain Rare will balance all of the ships once they are in game.

Either way, I am not trying to bash you or your post, I just happen to disagree with you for the most part this time. No hard feelings 🙂

Forced cross play is the real enemy, not the brigantine.

• The Brigantine is pretty vulnerable to cannon fire from our experience. The crew often being killed or knocked off the deck leaving easy kills for the guy trying not to let it sink below.

Views
6 out of 7