The Forgettable Voyage of The Little Skiff that Could

• Ahoy!

Any other pirates on this here forum operate their own vessels irl? I've spent the last week in the Florida Keys trying my hand at catching some lobster, but my voyage didn't go so well. After finding me a spot with lobster(they were all too small) I decided to start up my little engine and go to a new location.

Alas, my engine decided it did not want to run and I started paddeling back to shore. I gave the engine one most try a couple minutes later and it had enough life to get me back to the ramp! Made it back to the Outpost with no gold. No animals.. it was a sad day.

Anyone else have any failed fishing stories?

I should probably mention it's a 14 foot Carolina Skiff. No match for a mighty sloop, but it gets the job done... Until it didn't.

Views
  • I have a small daysailer built in 1936. Kinda looks like this:

However, I haven't put it to water in two years because I can not find the time. I hope to finish my masters degree next year, and then I will be able to sail again.
    Gotta say that SoT does a really good job of capturing the feeling and atmosphere of sailing. I wish there was a small boat like mine in the game. :)

As for stories, there were some instances of almost getting rammed by other ships.. They didn't seem to want to board me tho, so I guess they were just not paying attention or had a bit too much grog.
    But the most memorable story would probably be one that happened on land. After a long winter of sitting tucked away in a shed, a cat had chosen my boat as the perfect place to give birth. When I started working on my boat, I found the runt of the litter, abandoned and almost starved to death, hiding at the bow and shaking with fear. After a while tho, I was able to capture her and my sister took her to the vet. We named her "Hafenlotte" (Harbour Lotte) and she's living with my grandma now. She's still pitch black except for one tiny white spot on her chest. Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

Oh and another thing about boats is that there are always spiders. So maybe Rare could add some spiders crawling around that you could flick into the sea, or collect and use as bait for fishing.

• @nebenkuh

Funny you mention spiders. I've gone kayaking, paddeled out of our canal into the bay, and had an army of ants come out of nowhere. I jumped ship and flipped the kayak over before I was eaten alive!

• I have a 20' Monark flat bottom that I use for fishing the shallows and creeks in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Monark now has a 90hp Mercury with a jet foot on it. Prior to that, I had a 50hp Evinrude with a prop. I was a long way from the boat ramp in it when a storm started approaching. I decided to call it and head to the ramp when the shear pin on the prop snapped (I probably hit bottom with the prop). I usually carry spares in my tackle box, but didn't have one that day for some reason.

It was a long limp up river with the cold rain pelting me. I've also been trapped in creeks when the tide dropped. With the jet foot, if I can get on plane, I'm going. With a prop, not so much.

Oh, and the jet foot reduces the hp at the foot to about 65hp, but it's fantastic for running over oyster and sand bars. Just keep the grass out of the intake.

Another story with the flat bottom.......

It was super cold for a period of time (unusual for Florida) and when the gulf temp drops to a certain point, the trout begin looking for warmer water in the mouths of rivers. My dad and I packed up for a trip to the mouth of the Suwannee river to grab some of these trout and a few reds. I packed a small propane burner that I take to make coffee when needed.

We're fishing a bend in a creek near the mouth of the river when my dad sticks a big trout. The propane burner was on as we were preparing a pot of coffee. During my dad's fight with the fish, he knocks the burner over and the carpet on the bottom of the boat catches fire. I tell him we're on fire and his exact words to me were "shut up and get the net!"

We survived and he landed the trout. It was a good trip and the burn marks are still in the carpet.

Views
3 out of 4