A Tale Of An Opportunity Taken.

• With the end of this latest bilge rat adventures closing in. I was still on 12/20 of the one where another crew are required at a fort. And the previous 8-10 forts i arrived at i was instantly set upon and sunk regardless of my many many attempts of peace so i can fulfill my quest.
    So imagine my delight at logging in for a few hours of solo play at Sanctuary outpost and almost instantly Keel Haul Fort becomes active. I abandon all resource gathering and leap on board and sail towards it. This time with a plan for success, who knew it would turn out quite so well!
    I hid my ship behind some rocks to the west of the fort and volleyed myself out of the cannon and swam like crazy, making every bullet and sword slash count against a worryingly overpopulated area of savage sharks, phew, made it ashore with a banana to spare. Now to climb a turret and kill the skellies there and begin my lie down and hide tactic hoping no one will ever know i'm there when they arrive. And arrive they did!
    First up was a sloop and it lowered anchor right beside my turret. He won't see me if i stay like this! But skellies suddenly spawned to shoot some balls and i had to break cover and whack them in the ankles til they went away. As soon as i noticed the solo slooper blown up my a barrel, i leapt up again and fired the cannon at the turret opposite me to kill those too. I wanted this guy to succeed! And so i lay down again. And then two more ship arrive and more frenzied skellies spawn and i'm now really concerned this is going to fail. But thankfully the blood l*****g pirates fail to notice me. After much chat the 3 crews are all working together, several doing the same mission as me. I'm now on 15/20 and decide to just carry on camping, it's working after all. And then another galleon arrives and to my amazement they are also friendly and join in. But with too many pirates all hacking away at the waves of skellies my counter never rose further from 15/20, grrrrr!
    The Captain now defeated, the crew all chat and decide what to do with the loot but first want to take a group photo holding the fort key. I can see and hear all of this going on from my lurking position and notice that they are all stood infront of a gunpowder barrel, i leap from my slumber and take aim with a cannon and fire! Every pirate killed and the key drops to the floor, i leap down, snatch the key and run towards turret beside the sloop that is positioned on the other side of the island to hide the key behind it, then headed for the sloop and swam under it, holding my breath long enough for the solo pirate to spawn and leave his ship.
    With the accusations of betrayal by one the crews now ringing the air and everyone begins search for the key i climb the ladder and raise anchor and sail away, plugging in my mic and shouting i have the key! Many mwahahaha's were included.
    Much swearing and cursing was now taking place as i headed out towards open sea, in the opposite direction of my hidden sloop. Sails were being readied and anchors frantically being raised, when suddenly the sloops owner appeared on deck, i leapt into the sea and dove down low saying i'm taking the key to the depths, he followed, i managed to kill him and kept swimming. Until i was finally eaten by a shark.
    And so i was now back to my ship, i climbed the crows nest and watched in amusement as 4 crews spent a good part of an hour deep sea diving looking for the key!
    I went on about my business and returned back to the fort some time later, and to my amusement, the key was where i left it!
    Everything was mine!
    Well, i was first there after all!

Views
  • @needsmokes Is "sleeping" really helpful at hiding? Your gamertag is still visible, correct?

• @ant-heuser-kush thanks - what's a crewmate? ;)

• @puppetbreath Yes, it really works so well. You can hide behind the captains table on peoples ships and there is a very good chance you won't be noticed.. Until it's too late and you've had it away with their best treasure..

• L**O, perfect opportunity indeed!

• brilliant ❤

• @needsmokes I need to try my hand at a stowaway/sneak thief mission

Views
1 out of 7