Be aware of this Athena’s Con

• Last night I was on a duo sloop and a galleon at an outpost came up to us and wanted to be friendly. They were on a legendary voyage and asked for our help. They wanted to put a guy on our boat to do a speed run, and said we could have the chests from the GH quests. They seemed like honest folk, and we were feeling generous so we decided to help. You can probably sense where this is going. 30-40 minutes later we were done and the guy from the other crew let his buddies know that we were done and our location. The second I turned my back, BOOM! He kegged our boat and I see his buddies on the galleon approaching on the horizon. We were toast. And they came to pick up all the treasure chests.

I should have known better than to trust someone on the Sea Of Thieves. These guys knew what they were doing all along. Haha lesson learned. Are there any honest pirates still out there?

Views
  • Well, that's one way to do a speed run..

• @jonaldinho Well … "They seemed like honest folk" … and I think that was your first mistake.

In a graphically lavish game like Sea of Thieves, where the water, islands, birds, and even the motion of the boats are all exceptionally well done, it's easy to get lost in the atmosphere and forget that human beings in this game can be at their absolute worst.

To be honest, I would not have done it.

Trust no one.

• A very unfortunate tale, but I'm glad to see you were a good sport about it. Be wary of who you trust out at sea, especially when you're outnumbered 2:1. May you find some honorable pirates on your travels

• Why would they do that? Pirate Legends don't need the reputation and most of us are sitting at 1 million gold or near it. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. :( I wished I had someone to speed run legendary voyages with me. I'd let them keep everything. It's too time investing. 🙈

• To be fair im also a PL and if i found a sloop willing to help us run our voyage id gladly let u guys keep whatever chests/skulls u guys did for us. All we care about is the Chest of Legends at the end. If u put the work in and helped grab all those chests id leave u with em. Not saying what he did was wrong (cuz pirates) but i woulda handled it differently

• @fantome-of-blue
    Luckily I have had lots of good, honest experiences on this game when working with other crews, but I’ve noticed the seas becoming more and more hostile as of late. This is the first time I actually trusted someone and felt completely stabbed in the back at the end 😢

No more Mr. Nice Guy I guess...

• U should have killed him soon as u complete as a insurance policy be more pirate lol 😁

Not all there are some nice ones out there but i always prepare. To be betrayed

• @jonaldinho if you want to do a legendary voyage with your friends invite me to your server I can drop one down. I know it doesn't compensate for the loot/time you lost but at least you can have another opertunity to get the higher rewarded loot and keep the legendary chest this time around.

• @ath3na-cr33d said in Be aware of this Athena’s Con:

Why would they do that? Pirate Legends don't need the reputation and most of us are sitting at 1 million gold or near it. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. :( I wished I had someone to speed run legendary voyages with me. I'd let them keep everything. It's too time investing. 🙈

Ha well they could have had some non legends on their boat that maybe wanted the rep? I thought the same thing.

• @gta5dude74 said in Be aware of this Athena’s Con:

U should have killed him soon as u complete as a insurance policy be more pirate lol 😁

Not all there are some nice ones out there but i always prepare. To be betrayed

I very nearly did this once, never again will I hesitate lol

• Haha I have an update.

This same guy who conned me in Athena's has been sending me SoT game invites frequently. I think he forgot he conned me. So I decided to join in his party to see what he wanted. As I suspected, he didn't remember me and asked if I wanted to be a part of his little con. I said "I know a gullible guy who would be perfect for this", and I managed to get him on the same server by asking another sloop to invite him into their crew. This friendly person solo slooping just set me up for an amazing bout of revenge by inviting one of my friends.

So we were off on our Athena's speed run. I ride in my friend's boat and we sail around picking up this crew's chests (I am still a member of the galleon crew). At the very moment the Chest of Legends became available, we sail as quickly as possible to get there. I dig up the Chest of Legends and put it on the sloop. We head toward an outpost, I leave the game, then my buddy invites me into his crew. We cash in the chests that we earned and the stolen Chest of Legends. Revenge couldn't be sweeter.

• @jonaldinho
    I love a happy ending!!

• Sorry that happened and glad you got revenge. At the same time thats a pretty genius way to get someone else to do half the athena voyage for you and give then props for piratey creativity. Learned real quick to never trust anyone

• @shuoink Yeah I agree it was clever. I got them better though. :-)

• @jonaldinho said in Be aware of this Athena’s Con:

Haha I have an update.

This same guy who conned me in Athena's has been sending me SoT game invites frequently. I think he forgot he conned me. So I decided to join in his party to see what he wanted. As I suspected, he didn't remember me and asked if I wanted to be a part of his little con. I said "I know a gullible guy who would be perfect for this", and I managed to get him on the same server by asking another sloop to invite him into their crew. This friendly person solo slooping just set me up for an amazing bout of revenge by inviting one of my friends.

So we were off on our Athena's speed run. I ride in my friend's boat and we sail around picking up this crew's chests (I am still a member of the galleon crew). At the very moment the Chest of Legends became available, we sail as quickly as possible to get there. I dig up the Chest of Legends and put it on the sloop. We head toward an outpost, I leave the game, then my buddy invites me into his crew. We cash in the chests that we earned and the stolen Chest of Legends. Revenge couldn't be sweeter.

alt text

Man, that's some good pirating.

• Meh, not only would I never ask for help with an Athena's....if I did, I'd very likely honor my agreement. In fact, as long as players aren't messing with me - I prefer to be left alone. If I do promise to work with players on some task, whatever it may be, I have honored the parlay with few enough exceptions that I can count the exceptions on one hand.

So yea, sorry you had a bad run - and yea I would be very careful of any PL anywhere because we get bored fast, and sometimes feel quite arrogant and almighty even if undeserved. I could easily imagine the group your discussing felt they'd honor the notion the whole voyage...until the end.. when on a whim they changed their minds.

But know this: Don't worry there's fun loving highly co-op driven players too!

• Although we can't call out names for this type of behavior, I'm pretty sure I know who that could have been.
    I have a PL on my friend's list that split ships on a server to speed run and gives the chests and skulls to the other ship.

Never heard of him sinking the other players though.

• @jonaldinho - this is absolutely epic! You’ve got my vote for ultimate pirate.

• Excellent revenge play.

But yes, I would have double teamed the lone guy on your ship on the island as soon as the last chest was popped. Been messed over so many times, I gladly force honoring of a parlay.

Last night I was on a duo sloop and a galleon at an outpost came up to us and wanted to be friendly. They were on a legendary voyage and asked for our help. They wanted to put a guy on our boat to do a speed run, and said we could have the chests from the GH quests. They seemed like honest folk, and we were feeling generous so we decided to help. You can probably sense where this is going. 30-40 minutes later we were done and the guy from the other crew let his buddies know that we were done and our location. The second I turned my back, BOOM! He kegged our boat and I see his buddies on the galleon approaching on the horizon. We were toast. And they came to pick up all the treasure chests.

Ouch did he just stay at your ship at all times or also help. i bet he stayed on the ship to avoid death? Always keep a close eye :)

I should have known better than to trust someone on the Sea Of Thieves. These guys knew what they were doing all along. Haha lesson learned. Are there any honest pirates still out there?

Depends on what you think is honest i have given a few pieces of loot to new players of riches i encountered during my Athena's. But for the next time always be cautious and have someone guard the other guy and kill him if suspicious!

Kind regards
    Tango

Haha I have an update.

Hahahaha amazing!

• @jonaldinho Ouch, that must have stung. But I have to say, that's some mighty fine pirating on their part!

• @ath3na-cr33d The answer to your question is: Because they can.
    To pull somebody over the barrel is one of the few things people don't need no other incentive than the ability to do it.

• This is genius!

• Love the litte update :-)
    I hope this experience doesnt discourage you from helping others. I kind of like the Idea of having one of the crew go on board another ship to share the loot and get the athena's chest faster.
    It's like 3 birds in one stone:

1. You'll get your chest faster
    2. Others will have great loot in the form of chests and skulls of higher rarity/ level
    3. One less ship that's going to attack you and get your coops/cages/baskets lost.
  • (What i did sometimes)

Feel sorry for u that there are crew’s doing this now (but Hey it’s there own misstake in the long run)

When i speeded sometimes and used another low lvl sloop rider, the were on there boat and one of us followed them and we marked the chest map for them and they went around doing the chest’s

After that My crew mate returned to My ship i alwaise commanded that, and we had a new meeting point with the sloop so they culd do a new run with us (they enjoyed the better loot) :)

• The long con.

I gotta say that's a brilliant idea.

Views
27 out of 28