'Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.'

• Draw closer mates and grab yerself a tankard, I have a tale to tell ye. A tale o' pursuit across the seas and darkest revenge. Blood was spilled, aye and battle ensued. This is how it began.

'Twas a fine, clear day with a wind in the East as we set forth to survey some o' the smallest islands across the Shores o' Plenty. We travelled light, supplies for the day and books and journals fer researchin'. We had no desire to fight the skeleton hordes, nor to puzzle out the locations o' treasures - twas a voyage for the pure joy o' geographical exploration.

Spyin' the object for our studies, we moored at our chosen destination. Night and day passed as we clambered o'er the rocks, marvelled at the fine views and examined the local flora and fauna. We sketched, discussed, took samples but noting a high incidence of skeletons risin' from the sands, we returned to the comfort o' our small ship to make notes, catalogue our research an' file away the drawin's we'd taken 'pon that gloriously sun drenched isle. Lulled by the sound o' the waves an' the perfumed breezes @eredhar succumbed at last to Lazybeard and alone on board, I took the opportunity to swim in the crystal waters an' marvel at the abundance o' sea life in all it's forms. A perfect day 'pon the Sea of Thieves.

Twas' while I were on deck, deep in thought, my mind driftin' from the dangers o' these here seas, that I were wrenched back to the present situation by the sound o' splashin' nearby. The thought that skeletons had learned new tricks flashed through me mind as I slowly gathered me thoughts an' prepared to investigate.

Ye gads! The sight that met me eyes demanded immediate attention!

A sloop, dressed in the finest livery, had approached while we were deep in thought an' discussions, an the scallywags on board; rather than seek to hail us with peaceful intent, sought to send us to the Ferry in one fell swoop! An explosive barrel, expertly placed beneath the hull ensured my attention were consumed by placin' planks an' tryin' to keep us afloat. We had neither large stocks o' wood, nor food to maintain health - foolishness, I hear ye say, but twas but an expeditionary voyage! Lulled by the absence o' sails on the horizon we'd set sail with naught to steal and less to plunder. Sad to say, I were dispatched to the Ferry after a short, sharp struggle an' our good ship were lost to the deep.

But let me tell ye what then ensued. With a great yell o' defiance at our rough treatment, we vowed our revenge. @eredhar returned and the gods looked kindly on us. We were now but a short sail from the whereabouts o' our demise. Grabbin' as many resources as we could, for time were of the essence, we set sail, bows pointed sharply to the north east and the wind in our favour and after a short spell, we sighted our quarry.

Employin' the spyglass, we could see they were meanderin' around the self same waters. Their ship ridin' low in the water, sails askew - mayhaps they thought themselves safe? Ours, riding the waves like an arrow, fixed mercilessly on it's target. No quarter, mates and our hearts were filled wi' thoughts o' dire vengeance.

They must ha' caught sight o' us at last, or they fled the oncoming storm. It makes no odds for we pursued them relentlessly across the seas, shadowin' their every move. They sought to lure us into the range o' a fort... they tried to tack across the winds, they took us a merry route around shoals an' rocks. Yet we flew on, gaining slowly til they must ha' understood, finally, our resolve was firm.

The skies darkened and the sea turned to that familar grizzled shade which merely mirrored our grim mood. They paused then, an' raised sail slightly... we spied a body in the water as their vessel bobbed in the waves. A single pirate or two, we cared not a jot, as he grabbed the ladder an' tried to board us. We had no words for his vile endeavor except the sword.

Up towards Daggertooth now, we gave no thought to their course, nor the reason why they circled that Outpost, we desired neither plunder nor loot. We cared not. We matched their every motion, trimmed sails, adjusted course and just beyond that Isle, as they fled on towards the East, we caught them. We maneuvered our ship across their bows an' our intentions were crystal clear.

They must ha' realised how poor their prospects were for they raised sail again, while they sued for parley across the water. On boarding their ship, we uncovered the reason. Mates, they were packed t'the gunwhales wi' chests an' treasures o' all description! A hoard fit fer a dragon!

But. As I mentioned. We were in no mood for parley. They'd chosen the route o' the sword an' sinkin us when they could ha' spent a few pleasant words in conversation an' sailed on about their business.

Lightning crackled and a swift fruitless discussion wi' the pair o' scoundrels ensued. Not one drop o' remorse spilled from their lips. They sought not to save their hides, but their treasure! Dissatisfied, we fired upon 'em then, an' filled their hull wi' lead from the cannons. Shrieks an' the flash o' gunfire filled the salty air as they were boarded again, the cannons roared an' matched the sound o' the thunder. They resisted still an' we battled to and fro, droppin' their anchor when they sought to flee again, again and again....helpin' ourselves to their supplies we restocked our cannons and finally sent their ship to the depths. Both crews had cause to greet the Ferryman more than we were accustomed to, that night. E'en once their ship slipped 'neath the waves, they thrashed through the stormy seas wi' barrels o' gunpowder to put us in peril. @eredhar quickly dispatched any remainin' threat an' we watched in disbelief as more gold than we could imagine in our wildest dreams, floated on the surface o' the sea.

They were loathe to leave. The mermaid nearby, singin' a welcoming song o' respite did nothin' to encourage them to leave that gold. Finally, as shots were fired, words exchanged, we prevailed. The plunder was ours and a fine recompense for the insult heaped upon us that day.

Views
  • @katttruewalker Wow! That is one great tale!

• @stacky-a Thanks! Bit rusty, haven't written anything for a while haha!

• @katttruewalker
    Aye, me lass... they ought to curse the day they crossed paths with you!

• @eredhar said in 'Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.':

@katttruewalker
    Aye, me lass... they ought to curse the day they crossed paths with you us...

Couldn't have done that without ye, ye pirate!

• @katttruewalker moral of the story say "Hi" next time lol

• Now that is an exceptional tale. Writing in pirate-speak for so long isn't an easy skill to learn, or maybe thats just me! I have a tale of my own that I wish to tell, and now I think I'll try my hand at using the pirates language! All thanks to you that I have a better idea of how to write it!

• @ardent-38 Thank 'ee for them kind words... it does get a bit easier with practice, lol

• @katttruewalker awesome story, very well written. (I wish I could write this way, but it's not possible thx to my Engrish skills) I like the inclusion of pics, somehow it makes it easier to read.

thx for sharing with us

• @KattTruewalker

Lass, from first we met; I've been knowin' yer tongue be as sharp as ye sword. But, this tale sets the record straight as the horizon fer others.

Let this be a less'n fer all who doubts the might of the pen or the sword in the hands of Capt'n Katt.

• @katttruewalker Dang. Is there a pirate translation app hidden on one of the islands or is it only found on the inside of the grog keg?
    I don't care what anybody says, you can't just turn this entire language on and off like a switch.
    I bet you slip-up with some pirate lingo in public. :o)
    Your pets must look at you very strangely (and kids too if you have any). "Oh no, she's off with the dancing mermaids again". lol

She's a witch! Burn her, burn her!!!

I think I may need to stay up and watch a placid, family orientated "feel good" movie before attempting to sleep.

BTW, great story and although when broken down and translated it's just a regular occurrence of the game, but you sure know how to pack a punch to it. Whatever they're paying you, money, gold, medication, it's not enough.

Love your work. :o)

• @xdilligafx1974 That's fine praise indeed from the pirate who can string words together like pearls on a necklace! Look forward to reading some of your work soon ;)

@Admiral-RRRSole Hmm, sadly I think I'm a lost cause, the dog just laughs at me and the kids now just think I'm 'eccentric' to put it politely. Thank you very much for the kind words though!

In the words of Jimmy Buffet - 'Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late'

@Lord-Pharqwad Well, if they'd done that there'd be no story to tell, so in a way I'm glad they didn't haha!

• @katttruewalker a legendary tale fit for a legendary pirate. Thank you for sharing!

• @katttruewalker

Now there be a pirate wit’ heart so true,
    Th’ lesson bein’ taught, should be heard through ‘n through.
    If ye attacks a ship without thought, nor pleasure,
    Then ye best be warned you might lose yer treasure.

Approach wit’ caution, n’ a welcoming hand,
    Ye might be allowed t’ continue yer plan,
    Ye might even find a heartie wit’ parley,
    But attack for no reason, ‘n a cutlass swin’s yer way.

• @j4dio By Poseidon that's brilliant! Love it to bits and thank you for taking the time to write it!

@Clumsy-George Well, you know Sea of Thieves... it can leave your heart pounding in anticipation one moment, and lull you to sleep with a gorgeous sunset the next.... it's thanks to the game itself, the community who play it and the extraordinary bunch of people who are creating and developing this world for us to play in, that has a huge role in me being inspired to put pen to paper :)

• A fine tale and one to which I can relate! For while I much prefer to greet with hearty hello than the roar of cannons, I'll chase anyone who starts a fight to the ends of the earth to finish it!

• @katttruewalker said in 'Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.':

@stacky-a Thanks! Bit rusty, haven't written anything for a while haha!

..points, shouting quite sleepily..

LIAR! no part of oxinized metal was crustied over that fine yawn of gold and silver! i'd hurled a boot ate ye, if i weren't already barrrefooted. x'P

I'd also pay good money to hear that read by Jon McFarlane. Would even pay BETTER money to hear it read by yous-truly ;')

Views
16 out of 17