Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried

• So this started happening just a couple days ago, but when I've been doing multi-crew ships (mostly my truste sloop) i have been getting alot of sabatours who will join mid voeyage with no mic and no will to communicate, then they just start blowing up explosive barrels and dumping loot overboard. I don't know if this is isolated but this will deffenitly discourage new players on the seas. im also now thinking of recording my voyages now to catch these guys. My deeper worrie is that the way this game us set up, it would be easy for a very small number of players to sabotage this game by ruining the matchmaking progress and pushing people away. sad thoughts in my book because I absolutely love this game.

Views
  • @bf37ironpirate I only throw chests off the ship if my crew talks about throwing me in the brig for no apparent reason upon joining. Which seems harsh but griefing if griefing

• By the law of averages not everyone will be psychotic

• I have only played with friends so far (only 1 time through matchmaking, which was fine), but is there a way to vote someone off the ship? If not, they should add that, it would help.

• yeah this is more instant suicide on spawn. I will say this is only the 3rd time in 2 days but that's not great numbers. out of maybe 6 hours played

• @crusader-zorro Most crews do it to get you to leave, there isn't a private party function yet, so you can easily snipe one of their friend's slots. So in all honesty, you are lashing out in a situation that you may not fully understand.

• @okerlund84 no, only lock in brig. A kick button would be a great help at times

• @bf37ironpirate

Ahoy there, please use these methods to report such players -

https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360000779227-How-to-report-a-player

• so here's the last time that happened. my daughter went to eat on lunch and during that I kept looting. lazzybeard came and booted her and after 5 min got a new cremate that instantly went and grabbed the explosive barrels on the sloopes crowsnest and blew up the ship. tried to save it but I had 6 barrels on board and couldn't shot him.

• im a pretty salty sailor but I'm worried this could force new players out just buy frustration alone.

• @crusader-zorro How does that help? If they discuss it, it does not mean for sure that they will. Now your actions of throwing things overboard that makes it become a for sure you are going in the brig.

• @crusader-zorro So if they talk about throwing you in the brig you perform an action in which they are now certainly going to throw you in the brig? I don't see how that helps.

Edit: I guess I should have read all the way down, looks like @Nightmare247365 already brought this up

• @bf37ironpirate said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

So this started happening just a couple days ago, but when I've been doing multi-crew ships (mostly my truste sloop) i have been getting alot of sabatours who will join mid voeyage with no mic and no will to communicate, then they just start blowing up explosive barrels and dumping loot overboard. I don't know if this is isolated but this will deffenitly discourage new players on the seas. im also now thinking of recording my voyages now to catch these guys. My deeper worrie is that the way this game us set up, it would be easy for a very small number of players to sabotage this game by ruining the matchmaking progress and pushing people away. sad thoughts in my book because I absolutely love this game.

Brigg them

so here's the last time that happened. my daughter went to eat on lunch and during that I kept looting. lazzybeard came and booted her and after 5 min got a new cremate that instantly went and grabbed the explosive barrels on the sloopes crowsnest and blew up the ship. tried to save it but I had 6 barrels on board and couldn't shot him.

how long is lunch? If someone has to leave we cash in first.

Edit: This type of issue is why they plan on allowing locked sessions. If players have to frequently leave and return due to responsibilities or real-life circumstances.

• I've had this happen a couple of times. I'm in a sloop doing a voyage and some numpty joins and starts to be disruptive, which can range from dropping the anchor at the wrong time, steering off course and the worst of all messing with the treasure, including throwing it overboard.

It would be REALLY helpful to be able to brig or boot the other person but alas this is currently available on the sloop.

• @pir4te-roberts said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

@bf37ironpirate said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

So this started happening just a couple days ago, but when I've been doing multi-crew ships (mostly my truste sloop) i have been getting alot of sabatours who will join mid voeyage with no mic and no will to communicate, then they just start blowing up explosive barrels and dumping loot overboard. I don't know if this is isolated but this will deffenitly discourage new players on the seas. im also now thinking of recording my voyages now to catch these guys. My deeper worrie is that the way this game us set up, it would be easy for a very small number of players to sabotage this game by ruining the matchmaking progress and pushing people away. sad thoughts in my book because I absolutely love this game.

Brigg them

My experience was that we were sailing and worried about the sails and navigation, that's when the random on our ship threw everything overboard.
    We didn't have time to babysit the new guy, and we shouldn't have to.

Can't throw somebody in the brig if you don't know they're doing anything wrong. If you just assume the new player is a griefer then you would have to throw every new player in the brig immediately and I don't think anybody wants to have to do that.

• @tyburn-ketch said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

By the law of averages not everyone will be psychotic

It's only psychotic if it's not addictingly hilarious

• @darkesthour138 said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

@pir4te-roberts said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

Brigg them

My experience was that we were sailing and worried about the sails and navigation, that's when the random on our ship threw everything overboard.
    We didn't have time to babysit the new guy, and we shouldn't have to.

Can't throw somebody in the brig if you don't know they're doing anything wrong. If you just assume the new player is a griefer then you would have to throw every new player in the brig immediately and I don't think anybody wants to have to do that.

I presumed you saw them do it. Of course using the brig on innocent people would definately be wro.......what am i saying??? Im pirate....brig them...brig them allllll!! Ok madness / off

• well yeah was driving the sloop and this guy spawns and goes up to the crowsnest where I keep barrels so I don't take damage and then comes down with a barrel goes below and detonated, then repeats. can't shoot him and I can't brig him without a second vote. I was like w*f dude.

• @bf37ironpirate

alot of the griefers will be

1. thinking the game is a rip off and out for "revenge" but will soon get bored

2. be playing on XBOX Game pass and wont buy the game

.. in a few months when the game dies down. not dies like the haters say. but when it finds its finds its true playerbase . there should not be so much trouble , just bare through it, even if they are not griefers alot of people do annoying things like anchor the ship miles away instead of using the sails to get in close..

i cant wait for the griefers to go and the newbies to learn

• @maarekstele said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

so here's the last time that happened. my daughter went to eat on lunch and during that I kept looting. lazzybeard came and booted her and after 5 min got a new cremate that instantly went and grabbed the explosive barrels on the sloopes crowsnest and blew up the ship. tried to save it but I had 6 barrels on board and couldn't shot him.

how long is lunch? If someone hniceas to leave we cash in first.

Edit: This type of issue is why they plan on allowing locked sessions. If players have to frequently leave and return due to responsibilities or real-life circumstances.

daughter is six. she had a peanut butter sandwich and bananas, she loves bananas now alot. lol. I have two Xboxes and tvs next to each other for fun voyages and left her in the boat to get her rep up.

• @darkesthour138 they threw me in the brig without even knowing I threw the chests in the water... If you say your voting someone in the brig for no reason, just because they are a random, your getting your chests thrown overboard, plain and simple :)

• @darkened-victim snipe their spot? The game has no feature to choose which group I want to join, so I'm not intentionally joining a 3 man team, it shouldn't be my fault that rare hasn't implemented this. Anyone with a clue knows a random can be beneficial to a team. When i join a game, and a team says "vote this guy in the brig" I'm going to wait it out and get the gold in the end. If they message me first and nicely say what the situation is, I'll happily leave and find a new crew.

• @crusader-zorro Why would you throw the chests in the water at all? If they talk about it but don't do it and you throw them in then you're getting thrown in the brig eventually. If they talk about it and do it before you throw the chests in then just leave and go to a different server.

• @crusader-zorro said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

@bf37ironpirate I only throw chests off the ship if my crew talks about throwing me in the brig for no apparent reason upon joining. Which seems harsh but griefing if griefing

I would say you are the griefer in this situation. If a crew doesn't want you there why not just leave and find a more amicable crew?

• @darkesthour138 That's not usually how it works. Have you ever played alone on SoT and had a team say "let's vote this guy in the brig". 10 times out of 10 you are going in the brig lol.

• @matticus Throwing someone in the brig as soon as they join is not griefing?

• @crusader-zorro Then go to a different server. It only takes a couple minutes to leave the server and find a new one.

• @darkesthour138 The point I'm trying to make is crews should communicate why you are putting someone in the brig first, if it's for a friend just let me me know so I can find a new lobby. The fact that rare knew this system would be flawed without making further adjustments just goes to show how bad they can't listen to the community. Is throwing chests off a ship harsh? yeah. But so is putting random people in a brig without communicating why. Solo players shouldn't have to keep searching and finding new games because a crew can't search with 3 people. Plain and simple

• @ghosti-x-clipzz said in Disturbing new trend and very I'm very worried:

.. in a few months when the game dies down. not dies like the haters say. but when it finds its finds its true playerbase . there should not be so much trouble , just bare through it, even if they are not griefers alot of people do annoying things like anchor the ship miles away instead of using the sails to get in close..

i cant wait for the griefers to go and the newbies to learn

This is how I think it will play out as well.

Those who stick around past the 'swarm' will be the player base this game was intended for.

• My crew of 3 had the opposite happen. We had a random 4th without a mic, he was pretty useful on the ship for an hour or so. Then we realized a foul skull at the bow of the ship went missing! So naturally, we threw all our treasure overboard while yelling at him "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?!".

In a shocking plot twist he only moved the skull about 10 feet to the base of the stairs at the front of the boat. We immediately apologized and threw the last skull overboard.

Meh, not here as well. Im worried as well. Never been dumping loot. Stole a chest from a crew that sunk me, but me dumping, nah.

• I feel as though this is an issue that may well happen but will do so in small numbers. I for the majority of the time play with friends but we do occasionally play with some people we randomly get queued with and I have had nothing but pleasant experiences. So it is a real shame that, that did happen but I feel as though for the most part you're going to be ok to play with randoms. If you're friendly they're friendly (for the most part).

• It's not a perfect solution by any means, but one way to build around this is to allow a pirate rating and allow setting a level or threshold ie - bad/poor pirates will be ignored, good or helpful pirates accepted.

You set the type of level you're ok with and set sail. Theres all kinds of logistics and complexities I'm hand waving but it can be done, and with some fairly decent anti-trolling measures to avoid destroying someones rep or fake boosting it. There will be problems with any system, but that's one option.

• Ive had this happen as well. Guy spawned in with no mic and dropped my precious Wilbur overboard while I was headed to an outpost...

Views
1 out of 62