Why is everyone so needlessly bloodthirsty?

• Title.

I've been playing since launch, and I haven't met any "good/friendly/neutral" pirate so far. Every encounter has always ended up in a plain KOS. Doesn't matter if my sloop is full of gold or sitting in an outpost as I've literally just spawned with my friend, everyone, everwhere wants us dead.

Heck, earlier today, I saw a galleon coming for us and we jumped off to see their behavior. The whole crew (obviously, they didn't want a fair fight) boarded our ship, searched everywhere, didn't find anything, and eventually sunk us. They didn't stop to sell their loot or anything at the outpost, they just killed us for funsies. It took us less time to swim to the mermaid than it took them to sink us.

So my question is, why is everyone so fond of destroying everything they can? Do you guys achieve anything sinking empty ships? Is there a hidden "big bad pirate" bar you need to fill to become a Legend that I'm not aware of? Thanks for your answers.

Views
  • Because it is fun?
    And this game is no ”familyfiesta”.
    Raid, kill, steal and have fun.

• @dom3tri
    As far as I can tell nobody's laughing during these murders.

• @foxygalloche
    Yarrrrrr, we friendly scally wags are out there, yarrrr. Ye see, I don't engage unless fired upon, yarrrrr. That be me extent of being friendly yarrrr.

• @foxygalloche I understand what you are saying, but I have a different experience in the actual game and the betas.
    Me and my brother have been playing every evening since day one and we haven't fought a single crew, we've seen other sloops and galleons and they probably saw us too but we just go about our business of hunting skeletons and looking for chests and so do they. I think...

In the betas it was even better, I even had a guy who docked near me to give me 3 chests because he was going to log out and start a new game with friends so he didn't have any use for them.

We are out there, in a lower percentage for sure, but we are out there in the sea.

• @foxygalloche Maybe you'll understand how fun it once you do it.

• Hmm, well when my crew and I turned in a few chests and quests at the outpost we found 2 guys on a sloop and we all hopped on their ship and played music for about 5 minutes til they took off and we had to abandon ship haha, that is about our only friendly encounter though, everything else has been a fight with galleon's on the sea haha we don't usually attack sloops at all

• @padd
    Why would I sink empty ships? What compells you to do that? If someone wants to do a good boat fight? I'm 100% in. But wasting ammo and time on an empty, parked ship in an outpost? What's the reason? How could it possibly be fun? Explain it to me. Because if it's THAT fun, I want to understand why I don't find it any interesting.

• @foxygalloche Sloops have it ruff. they make easy targets. I dont challenge unless they attempt to go to skull forts

• Yea, I have the same experiences, unfortunately there are very few crews who do not shoot at anything that moves. We drove past a 2 man sloop with a full 4 man crew. They had just brought a chest on board. We stood on deck and waved and made music, when we were at their height they shot us ... why? Something like that we have again and again ...

But.... sometimes we also find friendly Crews .... but just sometimes, not often :)

• @foxygalloche написал в Why is everyone so needlessly bloodthirsty?:

@padd
    Why would I sink empty ships? What compells you to do that? If someone wants to do a good boat fight? I'm 100% in. But wasting ammo and time on an empty, parked ship in an outpost? What's the reason? How could it possibly be fun? Explain it to me. Because if it's THAT fun, I want to understand why I don't find it any interesting.

How do you know ship is empty ?
    I'm shooting 1st and then asking question bcouz if trying to be friendly they will stab you in the BACK ! Thats how pirates works :D

• @fat-petti In my case, they attacked MY ship and it was empty. They searched it, they knew, they sunk it anyway.
    And I get your POV actually. If everyone keeps attacking I'll turn paranoid and just attack everyone just to be safe.

• Unfortunately, some find it fun. The most probably just do that because they don't like risking. Every single player on his/her ship is a menace.
    Yesterday we reached Crooked Mast on a 4-people galleon. There were 2 sloops there, docked. One was sinking the other. We docked right behind that one and said we didn't want to fight, and he agreed. Then another sloop came to attack us. While we were shooting at it, the lone player on the other sloop took an explosive barrel from the island and tried to sink us out of the blue. We then killed him, repaired ship and sunk both sloops.
    There was no reason for him to do that.
    There's only a really small community of reasonable pirates out there. Don't give up.

• @foxygalloche написал в Why is everyone so needlessly bloodthirsty?:

@fat-petti In my case, they attacked MY ship and it was empty. They searched it, they knew, they sunk it anyway.
    And I get your POV actually. If everyone keeps attacking I'll turn paranoid and just attack everyone just to be safe.
    Mb they have chests on their ship and want to spawn with force far away so they can manage to sell them without risks

• @foxygalloche You dont have to laugh to have fun, I enjoy taking other sloops down even if they dont have anything. Thats the fun part.
    And yes, I play on a sloop myself.

• @foxygalloche Well, you know, it isn't everyone.

Just yesterday we teamed up with a crew to take down a skellie fort in record time, the interaction between two different crews and trying not to kill each other, and apologising when we did as well as hysterically laughing at all the shenanigans was refreshing to say the least.

I've come across many, many friendly crews in the past year or so and the experience has been all the better for it.

• Eh, it kinda sucks, but it does ratchet up the tension... which I guess is a good thing

• I have no problem with someone trying to attack me for fun. It's a game, so I'm just trying to play for the fun of it.

I do start to have a problem when the only thing they have up their sleeve is killing you.

Like I had some guys commandeer my ship, and I just kept spawning with them on the ship, taking it wherever, and the only thing they could think to do was kill me over and over even though I literally told them I was down for whatever.

I'm just worried that this game will turn in to DayZ community wise and become nothing but a grind-fest (which is all this KOS, unimaginative mentality will turn this game in to.)

There's stuff that the devs can do to encourage fun rather than grinding, but right now, the only thing doing that is the advertising, and that's gonna start to wane really fast.

• Cuz PvP is the only real fun thing to do in the game.

PvE is braindead easy and fetch quests are boring. Island hopping is vapid due to a "look, don't touch" mentality to it and traveling the world itself is a monotonous task.

I hope the game gets more engaging at some point but as it stands, player interaction, even though it's stupid rare for no good reason, is the highpoint of the game. That interaction, however, keeps me coming back to it every day.

• I gotta admit, it's great fun sinking a ship.
    I'm a carebear, solo sloop, kind of player. But when your buddies group up for the first time in a liveried gallon, and your working on crew cohesion, it's hard not to get juiced when a crewmate spots a sail on the horizon. Even the easy targets are excellent practice. I can't help but feel remorse for the sloops we ganked, but also mad respect for the pirates that accepted their fate and fought back. Put two galleons together and things get real fun.
    But behind it all, I'm reminded of DayZ because of the tension, it's the ying yang of it all. Sometimes your predator, other times your prey.
    I wonder if we're actually going to have to pay the ferry captain to respawn, and how that changes things.

• Think on this;

If a Galleon shoots and kills you, do you notice?
    If a Galleon, sails by, do you ALWAYS notice?

I've found most people arent ALWAYS so "bloodthirsty". I've had many sail by in the distance, take wide berths, I've even had three incidences of mutual cooperation at strongholds or at sea battle.

@FoxyGalloche "In my case, they attacked MY ship and it was empty. They searched it, they knew, they sunk it anyway."

To prevent "revenge" attacks. My crew have tried several times to "just leave" ships be if theyre empty after a boarding and 90% of the time, they just lower sail and anchor and try to fire back.

We've since taken to spawn camping them, taking all their cannon balls and planks, repair their ship and then sailing off. If they return theyre easily sunk (as they can't repair). Since implementing that rule, we've not had ONE crew take the hint.

• I like to keep in mind the fact that you can always high tail it, always. it may not be in the direction you need to go but the wind will always deliver. my approach is to "Feel out" what the other ships intentions are and make a show of force, or in other words, "I'm not going to make this easy for you" then try to carry on my way. if that doesn't work its a fight to the death, plain and simple. Cannon over, drop their anchor and sink their boat like a man, then carry on your way.

• I have teamed up with other ships more then haven't since game released. New guys in crew are always amazed when I get a crew to team up, Wave and play music helps. This one even surprised me- I was with a guy yesterday, we just looted a strong hold As we pulled up to out post we saw another ship. He says ill go talk to them... We are like whaaaaa? lets just go to a different outpost. He says nah you 3 stay here ill go talk. We hear, "Woah hey woah there mate. Im just checking to see if you guys are cool we are turning in some chests didn't want a war with u2". I hear him say OK "ok bye mates". Comes back says lets turn them in! they are ok guys. Im like.... "No way do I trust them". Hes like no they are leaving now. I see the ship pull out with two on board the sloop. Talk goes along way in this game.

• I haven't played since launch, but generally when I play I only do it for ship combat because the rest of the game doesn't interest me. I look at other players more as NPCs that are there for my target practice.

• @arcangelo87 'till we can make semi-private servers it's gonna be hard.

There are (much) better games for naval combat.

Views
25 out of 26