Ambient lighting whilst playing SoT using Razer and Philips Hue? Anyone? Anyone?

• Ahoy hoy!

So, I have all of the gear but no idea, but whilst playing the recent (excellent) scale test (thanks to all the devs for working h*****n a weekend! We love you code monkeys! You earned many bananas!) I thought:

"I wonder if I can get my Philips Hue lights to switch to the ambient colours linked to the on-screen colours whilst loving and living in SoT? After all, Razer and Philips Hue did promise IMMERSIVE GAMING
    Razer Chroma and Hue lights go beyond being a brilliant light show - they provide a full-blown immersive gaming experience. From status cues to a flickering dungeon lamp, transform the way you play as you enjoy ambient in-game effects that react dynamically to every action and event.
    "

Now, I don't have the skills, but I have the idea, and wanted to see if I could inspire any of you lovely talented code monkeys out there to see if you could get this to work. Here are some examples, and a plugin for Unreal Engine 4:

Games and video demo

Overwatch playing and changing lights

Marketing video

Tech stuff:
    Overview of Razer + Hue

Razer Chroma integrations (official and 3rd-party game integrations - would be great to see SoT on this list - nudge nudge

Unreal Engine 4 plugin for Razer Chroma

So, over to you the community - anyone managing to sort this will be a master of the light fandango!

Views
  • @spannerwercs That is a super cool idea. I don't have any bandwidth to attempt it myself at the moment but if no one does by the time I can try, I will definitely give it a go. I have a bunch of hue lights myself and would love to utilize them with SoT.

• @ionei-falcon Nice! It was just the thought of the room turning red as we hit the red sea, or it dimming as you enter a cave. Just wish I knew how to make it work, so any help I can give you, I'll see what I can do!

• Found an official UT4 plugin for Razer Chroma here - https://github.com/razerofficial/UE4ChromaSDK

• So Hue lights can work with XBox One as well - nice! (skip to 1:38m)

• @spannerwercs that’s awesome, another cool one is Nanoleaf. Expensive worth it.

• I use an ambient lighting product called "Lightpack" behind my monitor on PC, which reflects and syncs the color based on the content on my screen in real time, works great.

I've never thought about the idea of having smart bulbs do the same thing in your room, it's a cool idea.

• Hey, I do a lot of stuff with Raspberry Pi’s and have Phillips Hue in my apartment. I’m inspired to give this a go.

I started working on an immersive cinema experience a while ago but dropped it in favour of other projects.

I’m using a camera on the Pi, pointing at my TV to read the most prevelant colour on screen, and then project this via the Hue bulbs as ambient lighting. The idea was to make the room go green whenever the Hulk appears in the Avengers.

I could easily adapt this for Sea of Thieves.

However, I’m also now thinking it would be good to build the day/night cycle so my room has a sunrise and sunset in keeping with the game, and gets darker when it is night in game. Need to think how to easily synchronise it.

I’m going to get coding this weekend.

Thank you for the inspiration!!

(P.S. I’ve already integrated Philips Hue to Belkin Wemo products, and a bunch of motion sensors and other custom functions for my lighting)

• @snowbodhi Awesome! Share the code and I'll test my end (have a spare raspberry Pi plus Sun founder kit I've done nothing with...brilliant to know that the idea could fit (I think the response on screen would be effective, although timing to sunrise-sunset would also work).

Can't wait to see and share your efforts and expertise!

Cheers!

• Soon soon soon

• @djbladex2 - Peek-a-boo I see Hue... Just found the Hue Dynamics app in the windows store and who should I see also has the app?? It works really well, even with replays of SoT (and just lovely on Firewatch!) https://www.huedynamic.com - are you working on something similar?

Am already gonna treat myself to the LED strips, now thinking about doing a 3 d printed lantern close to the in-game ones to either have on either side of the monitor as well as main light, will do a video (once I have finished painting the room - need to finish all DIY before the final beta!)

• I have 3 Philips Hue color lights in my Man Cave. I also surrounded myself with the right decor. It makes it so much better! This map is set to a sunset yellow color alt text

• @bustarbox love it! So I decided that "deck-orating" is valid DIY effort, so shifted my temporary setup and hooked my machine up with a lamp behind the 37" screen and one overhead (offset to the East) and this is the result

Closing in on a decent setup (I need a lamp left and right behind the screen as you can program each light to pickup a section of the screen) definitely close to flickering lantern at one point...

SoT+Philips Hue+Hue Dynamics

• @spannerwercs Oh wow, does that HueDynamic app actually change lights with on screen background, or was that change just part of a scheme?

Edit: Never mind, read the app documentation. Downloading now. By the way, i'm going to create a gaming room photo thread to see what others are doing out there.

• OK, installed, up and running. I'll have 4 lights going in this room!
    alt text

• @bustarbox nice one!

Not wanting to advertise, but the the Hue Dynamic app is on a reduced sail (sic.) for today.

Also, I just found these on Smuggler's (e)Bay - (£30 inc. postage) - only problem is that it wouldn't spread the light.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ships-Port-Side-Copper-Lantern-Lamp-Port-star-board-Masthead-Red-Green-Pirate/152695060553?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D4a3620753a4049629cbcc92f349dc90b%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D222644682081%26itm%3D152695060553&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

Port (left)
    Port (left)

Starboard (the other left)
    Starboard (the other left)

• OOOOooo... and also just found this...

alt text

Y-shaped splitters

So you can have two bulbs off of one lamp, then sync left and right.

• @bustarbox Image not shown?

• @spannerwercs I had to get another light to complete the room (4 in all). I'll post a pic tonight.

• @bustarbox Nice!

I've been debating between the strip light (you can't zone it so it is solid colour all around), the Hue Go (would be fun to fit it inside a 3D printed Bounty Skull!) or just another bulb, and I think single bulbs are the way to go.

• Wonder if that would work on my lifx lights.

• @ivorydoll Ok, so it looks like people were trying with MaxLifx app, but nothing concrete so far (a few code monkeys did sort it with custom python setups, but no apps as yet) - MaxLifx ambient lighting

Possible solution

So it looks doable...

• @bustarbox does the app change the colours to screen?

• Just setup phillips hue with my Razer keyboard.

Has any1 managed to get the hue working with screen colours to change the lights?

Cnt find any options in the Razer synapse. Note overwatch works. Devs please make this happen!

• This game would really benefit from hue integration, be amazing if the developers would add official support, in the meantime I will try the hue dynamics app.

• @philuk11 Ahoy me matey! Although your post is really interesting, you are replying to a thread that is over 1 month old. This is considered necroing and will be locked. Why not start a new thread to keep things current :)

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting threads over one month old is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
25 out of 26