Two Old Ladies on a Boat - Streaming? Hints and Tips for Novice or First Timers Wanted Here!

• @logansdadtoo if you are using hardwire the mixer app through xbos great. You can even move the chat layout anywhere on your xbox screen. I have used it quite often the only known real issues is if a viewer is mobile the screen will go wonky but its not you.

Ah and if using xbox if aomeone a mod or you deletes something in chat be wary your chat overlay can disappear.

• I probably can't stream bc my laption (Dell Inspiron 5558) haw way below graphics and it lags my computer by playing the game. I am saving up for a new gaming laptop (Which I wanna ask which would be the best.)

• @devilstassia
    I will be using mixer on xbox, but also wanted to record & maybe upload to Youtube as well, hence why asking about the elgato ;)
    Thanks for the advice though :)

• I 100% recommend the OBS Master Class by EposVox, he's a friend of mine and a streaming god- will make your stream look amazing in just an hour or so of setup.

• @legundo said in Two Old Ladies on a Boat - Streaming? Hints and Tips for Novice or First Timers Wanted Here!:

I 100% recommend the OBS Master Class by EposVox, he's a friend of mine and a streaming god- will make your stream look amazing in just an hour or so of setup.

Would you be able to provide a link? It would be useful when promoting a friend ;).

• I'm really new and approaching it as a hobby and a way to teach myself a new skill in the video department really. I have an i5 4690k and stream using OBS. Very few problems and really starting to enjoy it. My GTX660) has few issues with most of the games I play though I would recommend a minimum 970 if you were setting up a new system for it, just to make sure you have enough umph to play some current games + VR.

• @katttruewalker Try out StreamLabs OBS it is great to help you get started right away and you can load up a free overlay set to help you out :)

• Kinda late to post this, but make sure to take a look at any recordings just to make sure the audio isn't blasting on the stream side of things, always can be a turn off by any viewers if they can't hear the streamer because of the game. Audio can be tricky lol.

• @katttruewalker Hi, what is your cannel? Where can I watch the stream? Thanks!

• @katttruewalker If you are super serious about streaming this I can help you get it set up next week some time. There are also a few really nice tutorials that could help you on youtube.

• @mrbrojangles87 said in Two Old Ladies on a Boat - Streaming? Hints and Tips for Novice or First Timers Wanted Here!:

@katttruewalker Can you do a dxdiag?? and post them up??

OBS is what twitch uses.. or you can use Streamlabs obs too.. there is a few more but i forget

Mixer is for xbox.. going to be on xbox or pc??

The OBS settings are fiddly to figure out its taken me awhile... to stop the buffering/lag

Hey mate,

Mixer isnt' just Xbox. I stream exclusively PC, and am partnered on Mixer. Hope that clears up any confusion!

I use OBS and Firebot/Scorpbot. I have about 76 custom commands that people can trigger in chat on Mixer, as well as Interactive Buttons that change things in game (Hoist a flag, start a sea shanty, show a shark on screen, etc). If you're looking to stream with less than 1 second of delay between streamer and chat, and with interactivity, I'd highly recommend giving Mixer a go, even if you are on PC. :) Twitch is also a great platform to stream on, along with Youtube. All about what you prefer. :)

For an 11mb upload, I would recommend maybe 1280x720p @ 60fps, bitrate of around 4000-6000, (The higher the better - general rule of thumb, go 70% of your max upload for bitrate)
    You also have the option to Co-Stream with a friend, so it gives your audience multiple views from multiple crew members, on the same boat. Should be awesome fun!

Hope you see you on the seas!

• @shazbanger It did thank!! had no idea till i had a play around with mixer last night haha

• @legundo I've just come across those on YouTube, very informative and helpful videos!

@XRG-Brnt-LAB StreamLabs, I did read a mention of this, will investigate further - I was messing around with scenes last night too, have to see what I can come up with!

@Exalted-Frost That's a good tip, we didn't use mics yesterday, definitely will need to test those out.

@BlinxESP Thanks for the confidence! My Channel is here....
    KattTruewalkerMixer

@RackThor Really appreciate the offer! I think we're going to have a few queries as we get into it, actually streaming seems fairly straightforward.. it'll be the tweaking of settings to get the best quality/performance we might need some advice with.

@Shazbanger You sound like you're really well set up there! I know Mixer has the interactive things going on, I love the idea of playing a shanty or hoisting a flag or little entertaining features like that!

I'm going to check the bitrate again, I know the recommendation was between 2k to 7k which is a wide range.

Just like to say a big thank you to everyone who's adding advice, tips and suggestions in this thread and we hope it's useful for everyone!

• @katttruewalker As a veteran streamer any question you got I can lead you in the right direction.

Which platform and which software do you use?
    I specifically use OBS studio and play on PC

What hardware is needed if any?
    Are you going to be streaming via your Xbox or PC?

What NOT to do?
    There really are not that many things that you SHOULDN'T do. The more you do the more people are going to enjoy the stream. I guess the only thing you "shouldn't" do is no interact with anyone that joins in to watch you ladies.

Secrets, shortcuts, tips and general things to look out for!
    Really for streaming there are no shortcuts, but as for secrets definitely. You should always be talking. No one likes to watch a TV show where the host is completely silent. Try to just talk to yourself about what is going on i the game or even talk about stuff that is going on in life lol. Also don't get bummed out if you only pull a small crowd at first. Don't get discouraged and always keep a positive attitude. A positive attitude is contagious!

Any advice gratefully received!
    If you'd like any more advice I'd be happy to help you out. Visit my stream or hit me up here and I'll throw you all I know about it.

• @darkthunder158 said in Two Old Ladies on a Boat - Streaming? Hints and Tips for Novice or First Timers Wanted Here!:

@commando-slippy I think you were talking to me, if so I appreciate the feedback.

that advice give was for you but others too. starting out is never easy and getting over that barrier to push self to stream and interact is always worth it

• I got a 3TB Toshiba external HDD on sale, natively formatted to NTFS. I plugged it into my Xbox, answered a prompt to say it's for media, and voila! I can now record up to an hour of 4K video at a time.

What I didn't anticipate is the supercomputer I'd need for editing hour-long 4K videos. After a few hours of my first test (with For Honor) processing, my laptop is only 60% done caching for the necessary preview panes. Maybe I'll stick to 15 minutes or less of raw video next time. 17GB for one pre-trimmed video!

Mixer's not as pretty via the integrated app on Xbox, but it is a lot easier to show a full adventure.

• @katttruewalker Again, if or when you need some help just PM me/

• @deviantbumble @RackThor

Thank you, so very much for your advice and support it's really appreciated, we'll probably give it a whirl this evening and will report back and let you know :)

Some very good points there.

Views
87 out of 88