Ship Anatomy and Lingo

• Don't know much about sailing, ship anatomy or nautical lingo? Don't want to embarrass yourself by saying such things like, "The ship is parked left of the island" instead of "She's anchored offshore, facing port side Captain west of the island!" Here are some helpful tips that'll get you sounding like a pro in just minutes for your next adventure in Sea of Thieves! All of this information is only scratching the surface but I hope it'll be helpful to at least one of you and can help you feel more immersed in this virtual world on the open seas!

-- Below is the PDF of a typical tall ship layout (minus the crows nest)

-- Here is a link to a Glossary of Nautical terms

-- Finally here are some common terms any sailor should know.

1. Bow

Refers to the front end of a boat. (You can remember "bow" as the front, because when you take a bow, you're leaning forward.)
    2. Stern

Refers to the rear end of a boat.
    3. Forward

When you are moving towards the front end of a boat, this called going "forward."
    4. Aft

When are you moving towards the rear end of the boat, this is called going "aft."
    5. Underway

When a boat is moving, either by motor or wind, this is called being "underway."
    6. Ahead

Refers to a boat moving in a forward direction.
    7. Astern

Refers to a boat moving in a backwards position (reverse).
    8. Port

Standing at the rear of a boat and looking forward, "port" refers to the entire left side of the boat.
    9. Starboard

Standing at the rear of a boat and looking forward, "starboard" refers to the entire right side of the boat.
    10. Port Bow

Refers to the front left of a boat.
    11. Port Quarter

Refers to the rear left side of a boat.
    12. Starboard Bow

Refers to the front right of a boat.
    13. Starboard Quarter

Refers to the rear right of a boat.
    14. Amidships

The central part of a boating vessel.
    15. Topside

Moving from a lower deck of a boat to an upper deck.

Views
  • @jonn-havoc said in Ship Anatomy and Lingo:

(minus the crows nest)

You mean... the Monkey Tower?

This is a great guide! Visual reference is always nice.

• @erinom3 said in Ship Anatomy and Lingo:

@jonn-havoc said in Ship Anatomy and Lingo:

(minus the crows nest)

You mean... the Monkey Tower?

Forgive me I don't understand the reference.

• Or you could just do it the easy way and join the USMC like I did. They'll educate you right proper like in basic.

• @rufustheblakman go touch that bulkhead, now run and go touch that bulkhead! Oh such fond memories!

• @jonn-havoc

A lot of the long time forum dwellers / game testers have renamed The Crows Nest to The Monkey Tower!!
    If ever you see anyone referring to the monkey tower, they mean the crows nest :)

• @jonn-havoc Got to love the spanker on the p**p deck says i 🐳

• @drbullhammer Marines go on floats as well being a department of the navy and all that jazz, which I'm sure you're aware. The USMC was actually founded to fight off pirates and the such that would manage to board.

• @jonn-havoc
    Here is the Origin of the Monkey Tower that @Erinom3 and @LogansDadToo mentioned.

I'd like to add @hammy-hamstar's "Floof the Sails" to the list of Sea of Thieves very own nautical terminology.
    Floofing a sail is the same as hoisting it, just with a more professional ring to it. 😉

• @thor-von-blitz can't beat a bit of floofing after you have been up the monkey tower.

• @drbullhammer That's true. I didn't even though I was in aviation where it's more common. Can't say I'm disappointed either after hearing the stories of some of my brothers.

• @thor-von-blitz @hammy-hamstar
    Ahh, floofing the sails, a term that is now widely used across the SOT world :D

Views
1 out of 12