The Pirates Code in Sea of Thieves

• Hey everyone my name is Sam also known as MrStainless and in case any of you missed the news a while back now, I just wanted to detail the Pirates Code that Rare will be implementing into the game.

One thing the Dev’s were very clear on was that they want to avoid situations in which it’s impossible to beat another crew because they have higher level gear, for that reason they aren’t implementing any form of vertical progression system where, for instance, the longer you play the more powerful gear you get like in games like Destiny 2. Instead you will progress in the game by unlocking new and more interesting voyages.

We were also told that during a storm a ship’s hull will receive damage, requiring repairs by the crew. There will also be giant sea monsters and interestingly, a member of the team mentioned that the studio is a big fan of public events in Destiny, and they want to do something like that in a “Sea of Thieves” way, perhaps thats how the sea monsters could be incorporated, we’ll just have to wait and see.

More importantly though the dev team outlined the Pirate Code of Sea of Thieves, the set of rules and guidelines that they hope to hold all players accountable to, and here they are:

• The Sea Calls To All: Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.
    • The Sea Unites Us As One Community: Outside the heat of battle or piracy on the high seas, all crews shall bond together as a community of likeminded souls (again a reason why team killing and friendly fire isn’t in the game)
    • Disputes Are Settled Upon the Waves: None shall quarrel or overly dissent against another crew, but let every engagement be settled by sword, pistol and good seamanship. (Although if your cremates can’t settle their differences you can always throw them into the brig)
    • All Crewmates are Equal: Let each crewmate be respected as equal, free to follow their own bearing, speak openly and vote in the affairs of the voyage. And this is something that is shown in the gameplay, for example, if you want to throw someone into the brig it has to be a group vote among the crew, everyone has a say which is really cool.
    • The Crew Bond is Sacred: Those that betray their crew and ship through grieving and trolling shall be sent to the brig.
    • Respect new Pirates and their voyage ahead: Legends help to forge new ones. Treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.
    • Those That Cheat shall be punished: Show bad form and cheat and your crew and you will surely face bitter hardships and punishments.

Its really great to see the Dev team of Sea of Thieves really leading the charge on how they want to community for the game to progress and play with each other. While some may see what they’re doing here with the Pirates Code as being quite controlling, I’m sure there are players like myself who have been a part of toxic communities before see this as a sign that the team are taking steps to ensure that the community for their game doesn’t fall into the same pitfalls.

Removing friendly fire, making sure there has to be unanimous agreement among the crew when making decisions and even the simple fact that every crew member has a voice when it comes to decision making are small steps that go a long way to making Sea of Thieves a truly collaborative game and I can’t wait to get my hands on the title.

In the meantime though why not let me know what you think of the Sea of Thieves Pirate Code down in the comments below but until next time, have a great week and I’ll speak to you all soon!

Sam (aka MrStainless001)

Views
    videocommunitynews
  • @stainless001

Nicely done! I really enjoyed the pace and variety of clips you used as well :)

• @katttruewalker Thanks so much! Really appreciate it :) Hoping to create a lot more Sea of Thieves videos going forward covering updates etc :) Can't wait to start playing.

• @stainless001 Well made and well said. Look forward to seeing you on the waves

• @syrio-forel I look forward to meeting you there also my fellow Capitane!

• Greetings!

Have played a lot of ship/crew-based games such as Guns of Icarus and Worlds Adrift myself, allow me to respectfully suggest that a crew "free to follow their own bearing" can only lead the ship to the ABYSS!

Considering there will be no ships with the Flying Dutchman capabilities in this game, a ship must be run with a well established hierarchy. In other words, there shall be the Captain and the scallywags, or scrubs if you will. :)

Captain's should be able to trust in his crew to do their job as needed, required and commanded. In this game particularly giving bearing, repairing the ship, managing sails and firing guns. And the crew should be able to trust his Captain is fit for duty, responsible for ship's safe and efficient operation, including: ship's seaworthiness, ship's positioning, safety and security conditions, cargo operations, navigation, crew management and ensuring that the vessel complies to its PIRATE-ISH purpose. All personnel on board, particularly during navigation, are under the captain's authority and are his or her ultimate responsibility.

That being said, haul the halyard! Slacken braces you c**k-handed deck apes!!!

Views
videocommunitynews
5 out of 6