A curved sea with a realistic viewing distance.

• As far as I know, the developers handle natural game-elements in a natural way. For example the clouds. They're 3D and every part of the cloud calculates for itself how to let light through etc. Vey beautiful and effective!

Now the same thing could be done with viewing distance and an advantage for the crows nest. What if the sea, instead of a flat plane, could be a tiny slice of a 6371km radius sphere? Like cutting a slice of an egg; the surface will be curved.

Now you can see less far on deck than when you're up in the crows nest and everything would be more natural. For example, you could see just the top of a sail on the horizon. Add in some atmospheric 'fog' and you can make good use of the spyglass.

Views
  • Also, I'm pretty sure you can see further from the crow's nest than from the deck, despite the lack of surface curvature.

• @dutchtrooper95 From what I remember of a RARE podcast some time back, the world is rendered 'at a distance but in real time' (which is what originally created the problem with the Spyglass - as it would have had to render 3x initially to get a zoomed image displayed).

I could be totally wrong, but that was my initial understanding of how it operated and I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to answer correctly and slap the back of my head for being a scurvy seadog.

Views
2 out of 3